1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Holly Golightly

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Who knew it was so difficult/exciting to get a job that doesn't actually pay?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Who knew it was so difficult/exciting to get a job that doesn't actually pay?

Real pros get jobs that don't pay based solely on their Westlaw access during the summer.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Got my last firm rejection today. Looks like a district court internship or double RAing for me. I need to get this shit set up because it's time to start studying for exams.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Omerta wrote:Got my last firm rejection today. Looks like a district court internship or double RAing for me. I need to get this shit set up because it's time to start studying for exams.

Yea it's time to just get anything. I got three RA interviews next week, hopefully I can get one.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:13 pm

RA Position in international contract litigation. Interviewing with a federal judge, hopefully I land it and can do both.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how much of $36K a SA keeps after taxes?

Based off of the salary information I received when I got my offer, and this helpful website (LinkRemoved)

Gross: $6,666.66
Pay Frequency: Semi-monthly
Federal Filing Status: Single
Allowances: 1
State/Local Taxes: 0 (TEXAS YEEEHAWW!)
Federal Withholding: $1,533.04
Social Security: $280.00
Medicare: $96.6
Net: $4,756.95

You'll have a pretty sizable refund check come 2012 because they're withholding taxes as though you're making $160k when you're only make ~36k. You can go to the website and mess around with other factors to see what your pay will be.

or you know, you could take into account the fact that you'd get a refund and not pay extra money to the Feds

having money with held for the IRS when you know you won't have to pay much (if any) in taxes doesn't make financial sense

You're late bro. I've addressed that in another thread.

shoulda addressed it in this one too broberto

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Who knew it was so difficult/exciting to get a job that doesn't actually pay?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:44 pm

goosey wrote:are all of you ppl with 1L SA positions at t14 schools??

Nope. Top 50 but secondary market, lower pay.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 am

In an interview, how hard should I work to keep the conversation about how great I am and how much of a fit I am for firm X? I've had two interviews so far, and in both, the lawyers were eager to talk sports, hometowns, cooking, etc. I was happy to oblige and was my normal charming self, but should I be making more of an effort to steer the conversation back on topic?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:46 am

TTH wrote:In an interview, how hard should I work to keep the conversation about how great I am and how much of a fit I am for firm X? I've had two interviews so far, and in both, the lawyers were eager to talk sports, hometowns, cooking, etc. I was happy to oblige and was my normal charming self, but should I be making more of an effort to steer the conversation back on topic?

In my interviews there was a lot of off-topic conversations. I spoke with one parter for about 10 minutes about skiing. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will say otherwise, but I don't think it is too bad to do this. FWIW, I got an offer from that firm.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:52 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
TTH wrote:In an interview, how hard should I work to keep the conversation about how great I am and how much of a fit I am for firm X? I've had two interviews so far, and in both, the lawyers were eager to talk sports, hometowns, cooking, etc. I was happy to oblige and was my normal charming self, but should I be making more of an effort to steer the conversation back on topic?

In my interviews there was a lot of off-topic conversations. I spoke with one parter for about 10 minutes about skiing. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will say otherwise, but I don't think it is too bad to do this. FWIW, I got an offer from that firm.

Agree with this. Interviews seem to be more about making a good impression on the people you interview with than it is about saying why you're awesome. Most of the time, a law student doesn't have much to say about why they're awesome anyway.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 am

My only interview with a midlaw firm so far has been 90% random stuff and maybe 10% my resume. A friend of mine thats a partner in biglaw said that firms don't have time to call you in if they don't like your credentials so the interview is generally about how well you fit in with the firm, not a resume or GPA discussion.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:06 am

Two interviews last week and three this week. Things are picking up! Good luck, all!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:19 pm

Sample RA cover letter anyone?

Postby 174 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Sample RA cover letter anyone?

+1

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:09 pm

PM me and I'll give you my RA CL. I'm too lazy to pm you guys first. Or PM DF, I gave it to him. Yeah, do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Thoughts on a trial level criminal court internship doing really interesting work or a federal magistrate district court internship? Does the prestige factor of the federal internship take a hit because it's not with a main district court judge? Major city (not NY though) in both instances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Do you think it's too late to apply to firms at this point? I've applied for judicial internships and RA positions but all of them were shot down. Not sure where to go from here or if I should bother taking the time to apply to firms.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you think it's too late to apply to firms at this point? I've applied for judicial internships and RA positions but all of them were shot down. Not sure where to go from here or if I should bother taking the time to apply to firms.

Most SA positions are gone, and the ones that aren't gone are still interviewing...submitting an App now to a large firm would be pointless...small-mid sized firms however don't know their hiring needs until closer to summer so you got a decent shot.

Try PI though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Got an interview for a corporate in-house legal internship. Problem is, they're conducting the screening interview at their office, and it's 4 hours away. I asked if the trip would be reimbursed, and they said no. Is it worth it to still go? Gas is pretty damn expensive these days, not to mention the 8 hour round-trip, just for a 30 min screening interview.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview for a corporate in-house legal internship. Problem is, they're conducting the screening interview at their office, and it's 4 hours away. I asked if the trip would be reimbursed, and they said no. Is it worth it to still go? Gas is pretty damn expensive these days, not to mention the 8 hour round-trip, just for a 30 min screening interview.

The questions for me would be 1) is it a paid internship and 2) what are your other option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview for a corporate in-house legal internship. Problem is, they're conducting the screening interview at their office, and it's 4 hours away. I asked if the trip would be reimbursed, and they said no. Is it worth it to still go? Gas is pretty damn expensive these days, not to mention the 8 hour round-trip, just for a 30 min screening interview.

The questions for me would be 1) is it a paid internship and 2) what are your other option.

paid...not as much as biglaw, but a decent $1500/week

no other options yet, but I have an unpaid backup plan through connections if all else fails

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

no other options yet, but I have an unpaid backup plan through connections if all else fails

Eh, I would make the trip.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

i'd go.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I think we have different definitions of "decent".

Return to “Legal Employment”