1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Stanford4Me

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how much of $36K a SA keeps after taxes?

Based off of the salary information I received when I got my offer, and this helpful website (LinkRemoved)

Gross: $6,666.66
Pay Frequency: Semi-monthly
Federal Filing Status: Single
Allowances: 1
State/Local Taxes: 0 (TEXAS YEEEHAWW!)
Federal Withholding: $1,533.04
Social Security: $280.00
Medicare: $96.6
Net: $4,756.95

You'll have a pretty sizable refund check come 2012 because they're withholding taxes as though you're making $160k when you're only make ~36k. You can go to the website and mess around with other factors to see what your pay will be.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Just got the rejection phone call from my dream firm. For anyone interested, T2 with good grades. Got invited for the CB a week and a half ago, rejected tonight.

They took two people, they told me if either had rejected the offer I was next in line, hence why they called me instead of emailing. They encouraged me to apply next year, which I'll definitely be doing. God, this sucks though.

Edit: dream firm is a high paying boutique

Sorry you didn't get the job :(. But look on the bright side; it sounds like they liked you enough to call you and tell you where you stood. Sounds like you have a great chance for next year, though! :)

I second this. They obviously want you beach terror, they just didn't have a slot. I think if you can keep your grades up, you will be in outstanding shape for next year.

Thanks guys (and girl), I appreciate it. I'm debating whether or not I should email the hiring coordinator in a few weeks to a) hopefully inform of my receipt of a research fellowship that'll allow me to research in their area of practice and b) express continued interest and ask if there is anything I can do to make myself a stronger candidate in the meantime. I'm good at wording things to not sound like I'm sucking up but that I'm genuinely interested, etc., so I'm figure renewing correspondence in a few weeks may help me out for fall OCI.

On the bright side, my motivation has certainly been renewed. I really want to kill this semester because the prospect of working for a firm where I get to deal directly with clients right off the bat in a super interesting (at least to me) area of law is pretty much a dream job. Personal goal this semester is a 3.8, which is definitely doable based on how close I was to the next grade cutoff in each class. Had I not made a few dumb mistakes (literally a few sentences on each exam), I'd be sitting on a 3.8+ right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

Based off of the salary information I received when I got my offer, and this helpful website (LinkRemoved)

You'll have a pretty sizable refund check come 2012 because they're withholding taxes as though you're making $160k when you're only make ~36k. You can go to the website and mess around with other factors to see what your pay will be.

thanks

24K post taxes for a summer ain't bad at all

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:17 pm

"aint bad at all" .. lmao.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:34 pm

phonepro wrote:"aint bad at all" .. lmao.

whats so funny?

Postby 174 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
phonepro wrote:"aint bad at all" .. lmao.

whats so funny?

You're only making 24K, fucking prole.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:24 pm

phonepro wrote:
rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Seems that half my problem, evidently, is that I'm not sending out enough applications. How do you all manage to re-tailor your cover letter for so many applications?

Stop being lazy

I only had 2 cover letters. One for judges, and one for everything else (firms, in house, etc..). I changed one sentence depending on the type of job. I got 6 interviews so far and i go to a T2. Probably not the best advice, but worked for me...

I also have legal WE, so thats what took up most of the CL, and didn't change.

So, none of you mention the position's title, the firm's name, include your knowledge about the firm/company/organization, or tailor the letter content much itself? I suppose that would make it easier rather than having to significantly rewrite the whole first/last paragraph every time. I mean, I have legal experience and a central content paragraph that barely changes, but having to rewrite all the little stuff every time is mind-numbingly tedious. Am I getting the logistics of it all wrong?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Probably an easy question for some of you more "in the know" on here, but something I've been wondering--I had interviews with a few bigish firms, at least two of which have been offered to other people according to posts on this board. I haven't gotten any ding letters yet, though. Do you think the people are holding onto the offers, or do firms not usually send out rejection letters after interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Landed a SA at midlaw firm in secondary market.$1,000 a week. Top 50 school. Median grades.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Landed a SA at midlaw firm in secondary market.$1,000 a week. Top 50 school. Median grades.

Congrats. Makes me feel exceedingly dumb that I couldn't even get a single firm interview. But thems the breaks.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 am

Sending a thank you note at midnight on a friday and/or saturday morning. Acceptable or do I wait til' Monday?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:07 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Sending a thank you note at midnight on a friday and/or saturday morning. Acceptable or do I wait til' Monday?

I don't see why it would be a problem.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:06 am

dakatz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Landed a SA at midlaw firm in secondary market.$1,000 a week. Top 50 school. Median grades.

Congrats. Makes me feel exceedingly dumb that I couldn't even get a single firm interview didn't apply to any firms.

FTFM

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:15 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Sending a thank you note at midnight on a friday and/or saturday morning. Acceptable or do I wait til' Monday?

I always wait until like, 9 or 10am on a Monday morning. If someone is going through 50 emails from the weekend, they're barely going to register the thank you note. If it arrives in their inbox while they're working, more likely they'll consciously register the thank you. Probably overthinking it, but that's how I do it.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Just realized I made a consistent bluebooking error throughout the memo I sent to a potential employer.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:51 pm

viking138 wrote:

I always wait until like, 9 or 10am on a Monday morning. If someone is going through 50 emails from the weekend, they're barely going to register the thank you note. If it arrives in their inbox while they're working, more likely they'll consciously register the thank you. Probably overthinking it, but that's how I do it.

Same here. I would hate for it to get buried at the bottom of the inbox over the weekend where they might not even see it. I usually either do it the first business day afterwards, or, if it's a weekend, I might do it late Sunday night so it's at the top of the inbox when they get in on Monday. Like you, I might be overthinking it, but I figure that it can't hurt.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:55 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
viking138 wrote:

Same here. I would hate for it to get buried at the bottom of the inbox over the weekend where they might not even see it. I usually either do it the first business day afterwards, or, if it's a weekend, I might do it late Sunday night so it's at the top of the inbox when they get in on Monday. Like you, I might be overthinking it, but I figure that it can't hurt.

Agree that timing is important. I try to send my toward the end of the next business day. Presumably they stay caught up on their email throughout the day, and then as the day winds down mine should be sitting right at the top.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm

TTH wrote:Just realized I made a consistent bluebooking error throughout the memo I sent to a potential employer.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

If it's consistent, I seriously doubt they'll notice or worry about it much. For all they know, your LWR or moot court instructor wanted you to do things a certain way.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Woohoo! Interview with a district court judge! Anyone know any good threads on prep for these interviews?

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:55 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:Woohoo! Interview with a district court judge! Anyone know any good threads on prep for these interviews?

Congratulations!

When did you apply?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

or you know, you could take into account the fact that you'd get a refund and not pay extra money to the Feds

having money with held for the IRS when you know you won't have to pay much (if any) in taxes doesn't make financial sense

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:15 pm

are all of you ppl with 1L SA positions at t14 schools??

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 pm

TTH wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:Woohoo! Interview with a district court judge! Anyone know any good threads on prep for these interviews?

Congratulations!

When did you apply?

Less than two weeks ago. I've got judges that I applied to Dec 1st that I still haven't heard from (and don't expect to). I guess they can react a lot more quickly if they like (or at least dont hate) your application.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:41 pm

goosey wrote:are all of you ppl with 1L SA positions at t14 schools??

Nope. T-40 for me.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Borhas wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

or you know, you could take into account the fact that you'd get a refund and not pay extra money to the Feds

having money with held for the IRS when you know you won't have to pay much (if any) in taxes doesn't make financial sense

You're late bro. I've addressed that in another thread.

Return to “Legal Employment”