1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
xcountryjunkie

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby xcountryjunkie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Rejected from the only interview that I've gotten from ~70 apps today. Woohoo! Great way to start spring break!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Just finished my first CB.

On the way there, the airport cleaned me out of all my toiletries (can't take anything on the plane over 3 oz :evil: ). This was bad for me since my hair is all crazy and long. Without any mousse or gel, I look like a clown. Because my flight was so close to the actual interview, I barely was able to buy some gel 30 minutes before my callback.

The recruiter forgot to send my itinerary until the last two hours. I only had an hour to look thru it. Mixed up a few names during the CB, and mixed up a few schools. Ehh... hopefully it's not determinative. Now I'm enjoying a few beers at the airport ($7 each!!).

Other than that, I have only one more interview for gov. lined up, and one more call back. I'm sending out a few letters to district court judges in my area tomorrow.

I am behind like crazy in school. Sorry, just needed a place to rant. That is all.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The recruiter forgot to send my itinerary until the last two hours. I only had an hour to look thru it. Mixed up a few names during the CB, and mixed up a few schools. Ehh... hopefully it's not determinative.

Sounds familiar. Something very similar happened to me once as well. It's kind of infuriating that this kind of shit can occur in a field where planning and organization should be valued to the fullest. This added a level of stress to my interview that could've been easily avoided had the recruiter acted with some basic competence.:roll: I guess the lesson is to be ready for anything.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Got another state supreme court interview today. This quickly went from "why don't I have any interviews" to "how the hell am I going to have any free time with all these damn interviews". I prefer the latter complaint much more.

screwsandboalts

Postby screwsandboalts » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 pm

i have sent my resume out to 50+ firms/judges and have only gotten one interview (rejected). and i did pretty well first semester. this can't be normal, right? (but congrats to everyone who has summer employment!)

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:17 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The recruiter forgot to send my itinerary until the last two hours. I only had an hour to look thru it. Mixed up a few names during the CB, and mixed up a few schools. Ehh... hopefully it's not determinative.

Sounds familiar. Something very similar happened to me once as well. It's kind of infuriating that this kind of shit can occur in a field where planning and organization should be valued to the fullest. This added a level of stress to my interview that could've been easily avoided had the recruiter acted with some basic competence.:roll: I guess the lesson is to be ready for anything.

3/5 of my interviews informed me of a change in interviewers the day off. Each firm's staff ensured that they told me what I needed to know about each person as they walked me from interview to interview. Either way, it didn't seem too important to me.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 pm

screwsandboalts wrote:i have sent my resume out to 50+ firms/judges and have only gotten one interview (rejected). and i did pretty well first semester. this can't be normal, right? (but congrats to everyone who has summer employment!)

I sent out over 80 apps to firms and didn't get a single bite (though I sent them all very late after grades had come out), but it is VERY hard to get a 1L firm job. Don't let the high number of people on here getting such positions fool you. This is completely unrepresentative of the overall law school population, and the vast majority of students won't work in a large firm 1L summer. Though seems like a good number of people work in small firms.

As for judges, don't lose hope. They are definitely still making calls. As of 2 weeks ago, I had 2 interviews set up, and now I have 8. It also depends on where you applied. If you applied to only big city judges, then it is MUCH more competitive and you are less likely to get anything. I applied to a ton of judges in my home state and the big city closeby in another state. I got all of one interview in the big city, yet I have 7 interviews in my home state. And even in my home state, the judges tell me they got 200-300 applications for each internship position. Compare this to a friend of mine who applied to a judge in his way down south home state who told him she got 5 internship applicants. This could certainly affect your success rate.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:26 pm

got two interviews right after posting here. woohoo.

fi-na-freakin-ly

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:28 pm

dakatz wrote:Got another state supreme court interview today. This quickly went from "why don't I have any interviews" to "how the hell am I going to have any free time with all these damn interviews". I prefer the latter complaint much more.

I knew it would work out for you :D.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:29 pm

dakatz wrote:
screwsandboalts wrote:i have sent my resume out to 50+ firms/judges and have only gotten one interview (rejected). and i did pretty well first semester. this can't be normal, right? (but congrats to everyone who has summer employment!)

I sent out over 80 apps to firms and didn't get a single bite (though I sent them all very late after grades had come out), but it is VERY hard to get a 1L firm job. Don't let the high number of people on here getting such positions fool you. This is completely unrepresentative of the overall law school population, and the vast majority of students won't work in a large firm 1L summer. Though seems like a good number of people work in small firms.

As for judges, don't lose hope. They are definitely still making calls. As of 2 weeks ago, I had 2 interviews set up, and now I have 8. It also depends on where you applied. If you applied to only big city judges, then it is MUCH more competitive and you are less likely to get anything. I applied to a ton of judges in my home state and the big city closeby in another state. I got all of one interview in the big city, yet I have 7 interviews in my home state. And even in my home state, the judges tell me they got 200-300 applications for each internship position. Compare this to a friend of mine who applied to a judge in his way down south home state who told him she got 5 internship applicants. This could certainly affect your success rate.

I like your style, we should strategize for Fall. I applied to 60 judges, so far 1 interview. But I snagged an RA part time so thats something

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:31 pm

keg411 wrote:
dakatz wrote:Got another state supreme court interview today. This quickly went from "why don't I have any interviews" to "how the hell am I going to have any free time with all these damn interviews". I prefer the latter complaint much more.

I knew it would work out for you :D.

Thank you once again. You were totally right that I shouldn't have worried so much. I'm really hoping for one of the state supreme court internships since I feel like the firms back home will see that as a real nice "stamp of loyalty" that backs me up when I tell them how much I want to come back home after I graduate. Probably even more so than the federal judge internships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Dinged by a USAO office today. On the plus side, it looks like I secured a position with a different fed gov't office. Still waiting to hear back from another USAO, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:16 pm

how do you prepare for an interview with the FAA? :shock:

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm the only alum of my small LAC at my T14 law school. I applied to RA with a prof who is an alum of the same LAC and T14. Didn't even get a courtesy interview. FML.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:*checks most recent placement stats*

Emory 21.18
Wustl 18.96

*leans back in the chair*

lalala can't hear you

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how do you prepare for an interview with the FAA? :shock:

Submit a FOIA request.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Just got the rejection phone call from my dream firm. For anyone interested, T2 with good grades. Got invited for the CB a week and a half ago, rejected tonight.

They took two people, they told me if either had rejected the offer I was next in line, hence why they called me instead of emailing. They encouraged me to apply next year, which I'll definitely be doing. God, this sucks though.

Edit: dream firm is a high paying boutique
Last edited by beach_terror on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:44 pm

What markets are you focusing on? What are your grades? I think it's odd that you aren't getting interviews from judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:13 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how do you prepare for an interview with the FAA? :shock:

Submit a FOIA request.

lol.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:41 pm

cornellbeez wrote:

What markets are you focusing on? What are your grades? I think it's odd that you aren't getting interviews from judges.

Its not that odd. I am in the exact same position and am kicking myself for waiting for grades before sending apps. Oh well, can't win 'em all. Interview with a midlaw firm tomorrow morning, Cant find anything outside of what is on the firm's website about either of the people who will be interviewing me...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm starting to get worried I won't have anything for this summer after 1L. Only about 3 of my applications haven't been rejected yet and I still have no interviews. I didn't apply to firms because I wanted Public Interest work, but still... Did I do something wrong? :cry: I assume it's too late to try a letter writing campaign to local firms.

Apply to everything.

Do not go into this with "I only want X or Y"

I only wanted a firm job; I sent out 50 apps to firm, prepared 200+ for judges, and another 25+ for fed agencies.

You have to be very accommodating.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:43 pm

dakatz wrote:If you applied to only big city judges, then it is MUCH more competitive and you are less likely to get anything.

Pretty credited. I went after NYC and the clerks made it sound like they were absolutely flooded with applications from students.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:45 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
dakatz wrote:If you applied to only big city judges, then it is MUCH more competitive and you are less likely to get anything.

Pretty credited. I went after NYC and the clerks made it sound like they were absolutely flooded with applications from students.

Yeah, I asked an NYC clerk for a magistrate judge, not even a fed district judge, and he said they got like 600 applications. The district court judges must get like 1000 apps just for 1L internships. Lol like I said, compare that to my friend from the deep south who said he applied to a magistrate who said she got 5 apps.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 pm

dakatz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Yeah, I asked an NYC clerk for a magistrate judge, not even a fed district judge, and he said they got like 600 applications.

jesus......

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Yeah, I asked an NYC clerk for a magistrate judge, not even a fed district judge, and he said they got like 600 applications.

jesus......

a little quote from the office assistant of a DA/PD's office at a big city in response to my app

"...there are just hundreds of resumes..."

Enjoy.

Return to “Legal Employment”