1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mlipsco

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby mlipsco » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:45 pm

dk8 wrote:are you all cold mailing these firms or did you find them through connections, symplicity, other research etc.

I dropped names when possible, but that was only the case for a few firms. Each firm where I did mention a connection, however, did at least reply to my email. I don't know that that is worth anything though.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:51 pm

mlipsco wrote:
dk8 wrote:are you all cold mailing these firms or did you find them through connections, symplicity, other research etc.

I dropped names when possible, but that was only the case for a few firms. Each firm where I did mention a connection, however, did at least reply to my email. I don't know that that is worth anything though.

I still haven't mailed anything to firms. I'm having a hard time motivating myself to write cover letters when I know that there is zero chance they will work unless I have sick grades.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm

mlipsco wrote:

I guess I dropped names. I emailed my materials directly to people I knew or people in my family knew. Went 1/10 on mailers to interviews, which is not surprising since I think only one of those firms is looking at 1Ls. Had the interview recently, and they brought up that it was a good/interesting thing that I emailed it directly to the person I knew. Your mileage may vary.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:24 pm

rad law wrote:
mlipsco wrote:

I guess I dropped names. I emailed my materials directly to people I knew or people in my family knew. Went 1/10 on mailers to interviews, which is not surprising since I think only one of those firms is looking at 1Ls. Had the interview recently, and they brought up that it was a good/interesting thing that I emailed it directly to the person I knew. Your mileage may vary.

no connection to any firms whatsoever. Cold emailed them. 2 interviews so far. The only "good" thing I think I have is possibly an ivy undergrad.... I am not a urm or anything like that.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:25 pm

uvahooo wrote:no connection to any firms whatsoever. Cold emailed them. 2 interviews so far. The only "good" thing I think I have is possibly an ivy undergrad.... I am not a urm or anything like that.

And also you go to UVA herp derp

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:30 pm

rad law wrote:
uvahooo wrote:no connection to any firms whatsoever. Cold emailed them. 2 interviews so far. The only "good" thing I think I have is possibly an ivy undergrad.... I am not a urm or anything like that.

Hm, yes, but people who I have gchated in my section submitted the same week I have (to a few of the same markets) and they have gotten nothing. Maybe it's just luck?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:31 pm

uvahooo wrote:
rad law wrote:

Hm, yes, but people who I have gchated in my section submitted the same week I have (to a few of the same markets) and they have gotten nothing. Maybe it's just luck?

Who knows? Something interesting on your resume? The important thing is that you got 'em.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:33 pm

About to send an email at a firm I'd want to work for after lawl school, and I have a connection. Basically, my ex from high school (woohoo for rich ex's, right?) is a close family friend of a partner at a boutique firm in my desired specialty. She emailed him awhile ago and he said that it was okay for me to contact him.

For those of you with similar connections, how did you start of the email? I don't even know what subject to put in the email line :|

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:About to send an email at a firm I'd want to work for after lawl school, and I have a connection. Basically, my ex from high school (woohoo for rich ex's, right?) is a close family friend of a partner at a boutique firm in my desired specialty. She emailed him awhile ago and he said that it was okay for me to contact him.

For those of you with similar connections, how did you start of the email? I don't even know what subject to put in the email line :|

My subject was always "XYZ student seeking summer position"

I started off the letter with "I am a student at XYZ, and I write to ask about opportunities as a Summer Associate with ABC LLP. [name of person you know] suggested I contact you [replace "you with name of person you don't know] about possible openings at your firm"

Something like that.

edit: my letters always took the tact of "fishing for info/seeing what's out there/wishing to be considered if there is anything."

Seemed to work okay. I got a few nice responses back, even from people who weren't hiring 1Ls. One of the people I sorta knew told me he sent along a nice note with my materials. I got a couple of responses that were like "Thank's for the inquiry, forwarded your stuff to the director of hiring."
Last edited by Grizz on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:37 pm

I applied to some jobs that had Nov and Dec deadlines. Until I get my grades back I'm holding off on any further applications. I think my grades are due back later this week.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:37 pm

T5 here, decent resume

150 apps to firms in major markets (basically LA, NY, DC)

around 30 responses saying that the firm isnt hiring 1Ls, 1 response saying no (im not a URM and i think the firm only has a diversity 1L program), and like 9 requests for grades (all at AmLaw 50 firms). I'm really not expecting much given that I'm not a URM and I'm only looking at major markets

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:52 am

Thank god I wasn't a total fuck up in college and made Dean's list once. I hope it misleads employers into thinking I was actually a hard worker in college.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Family member told me to email my stuff to one of his buddies at hometown midsized firm. To bad I only have 3 days left here for a possible interview. Damn.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 am

3 interviews. 2 volunteering opportunities set up for next semester and summer. Not too bad I guess.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:44 am

Got an informational interview with a firm I would love to work for 2L year. Any tips or advice?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:19 am

Still not a single app sent, and still not sweatin' it. Just got my first grade, and I like it, so that's good motivation. Will fire off 20-30 by the weekend.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:14 am

I procastinated. I have a 6 page memo and personal statement due by 5 pm for a diversity fellowship which gets you a 1L summer associate position. It is an AMAZING opportunity but life got me distracted and I am not even close to done. I only read the cases so far and just now started my statement of facts.

Can I even finish this by 5 pm? I have to commute too in order to drop it off at schol. Ughhhh. Whats wrong with meeee

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Still not a single app sent, and still not sweatin' it. Just got my first grade, and I like it, so that's good motivation. Will fire off 20-30 by the weekend.

High five! Also congratulations on good grade.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Still not a single app sent, and still not sweatin' it. Just got my first grade, and I like it, so that's good motivation. Will fire off 20-30 by the weekend.

+1

--ImageRemoved--

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:17 pm

When these jobs say to submit an "unofficial transcript", what exactly do they mean? I can't print an unofficial transcript until all of my grades in, which may not be for a week or longer. I don't understand how some of these employers expect a "transcript" even for some of the jobs that had Dec. 1st deadlines.

Should I just list the grade that I have in my cover letter or something?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:39 pm

The firm that my ex-gf knows a partner at just emailed me and said I have an interview scheduled with them during OCI :shock:

The subject line said 1L, so I'm hoping they take some 1Ls and some 2Ls. Psyched.

solotee

Postby solotee » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:When these jobs say to submit an "unofficial transcript", what exactly do they mean? I can't print an unofficial transcript until all of my grades in, which may not be for a week or longer. I don't understand how some of these employers expect a "transcript" even for some of the jobs that had Dec. 1st deadlines.

Should I just list the grade that I have in my cover letter or something?

Include your only grade so far in your resume, and state that it's 1/3 of grades received so far. Don't put the GPA, just the grade. At least this was the advice of the director of career services at my law school.

Merr

Postby Merr » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 am

I just got something lined up several hours ago so I am quite happy. As a side bonus I did not have to use any of the family connections, as would have required me to go out of state.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:26 am

Had my first interview today, at 1. At 1:20, I was offered a job; not my first choice, but an amazing opportunity. Can't quite decide whether or not just to take it or to wait for the other programs to which I've applied.

I have 10 days, which seems like a long time and also very short. Very torn.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:26 am

Kretzy wrote:Had my first interview today, at 1. At 1:20, I was offered a job; not my first choice, but an amazing opportunity. Can't quite decide whether or not just to take it or to wait for the other programs to which I've applied.

I have 10 days, which seems like a long time and also very short. Very torn.

Congrats if you do or don't take it. You'll hear the bird in the hand phrase often when talking with people about the offer. BTW, Hi Kretzy.

I had a 5 day deadline for one of my offers, but I really wanted the internship (pretty sure they knew I'd accept) and the opportunity is great; however, it is very hard to have committed this early without hearing back from a single one of the firms I applied too especially given the positive responses so far from who I have heard from.

Return to “Legal Employment”