1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby drdolittle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm starting to get worried I won't have anything for this summer after 1L. Only about 3 of my applications haven't been rejected yet and I still have no interviews. I didn't apply to firms because I wanted Public Interest work, but still... Did I do something wrong? :cry: I assume it's too late to try a letter writing campaign to local firms.

Not necessarily. The advice I got from our career office and senior students is that smaller, local firms hire closer to the summer since their needs are more unpredictable. Typically, big firms make plans so far in advance that now you're probably SOL with them this late in the game (again, from what I've heard). I think you should keep writing to smaller firms/PI organizations, but target your letters carefully so they don't come off as part of a last-ditch letter writing campaign.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby JazzOne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm starting to get worried I won't have anything for this summer after 1L. Only about 3 of my applications haven't been rejected yet and I still have no interviews. I didn't apply to firms because I wanted Public Interest work, but still... Did I do something wrong? :cry: I assume it's too late to try a letter writing campaign to local firms.

Not necessarily. The advice I got from our career office and senior students is that smaller, local firms hire closer to the summer since their needs are more unpredictable. Typically, big firms make plans so far in advance that now you're probably SOL with them this late in the game (again, from what I've heard). I think you should keep writing to smaller firms/PI organizations, but target your letters carefully so they don't come off as part of a last-ditch letter writing campaign.

+1

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:17 pm

So I've applied to a firm by email - Resume, Cover Letter, Transcript.
They haven't replied to let me know they've received the application. Should I not be expecting this?
How long after receiving an application does it take for them to get to you?
Will they notify you if you don't get an interview? Or will they only contact the people selected for interviews?

I hate hanging in the balance.

Is it kosher to call the firm to make sure they've received the application materials? Ask if I will hear from them one way or the other?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Is it kosher to call the firm to make sure they've received the application materials? Ask if I will hear from them one way or the other?

Yes, it's fine to do that after a few weeks. Most firms will reject you with a letter/email, but some just never respond. I've applied to a few places, and even called the contact person and left a voicemail and still not gotten a response. Compared to a lot of other fields, I think some law firms are among the most unprofessional organizations when it comes to dealing with this sort of thing.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I had a screener today, which was going swell, then at the end the interviewer starts talking about what the process looks like, mentions they're only hiring one 1L, and says something to the effect of, "If we don't pick you for this summer, we certainly hope to hear back from you for next summer."

Sigh.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:07 pm

TTH wrote:I had a screener today, which was going swell, then at the end the interviewer starts talking about what the process looks like, mentions they're only hiring one 1L, and says something to the effect of, "If we don't pick you for this summer, we certainly hope to hear back from you for next summer."

Sigh.


Could just be a standard kind of thing they say to everyone, I don't think it necessarily means you have no shot.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm

TTH wrote:I had a screener today, which was going swell, then at the end the interviewer starts talking about what the process looks like, mentions they're only hiring one 1L, and says something to the effect of, "If we don't pick you for this summer, we certainly hope to hear back from you for next summer."

Sigh.


I have a screener tomorrow that is interviewing 20 people for 1 spot. I expect roughly the same results. At this point I feel like I a banking on A.) The DA which told me they don't plan on hiring before April. B.) The PD who told me they don't plan to INTERVIEW before April. or C.) Mass mailing all state judges hoping that they have spots. *Sigh*. Good grades = employment is a lie.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:13 pm

I know everyone is stressing, but it is still pretty early in the game. Yeah, big firms, prestigious PI, and most judges are foreclosed at this point, but as was just mentioned, most smaller firms and other government/PI/PD offices, as well professors seeking RAs, haven't even hired yet. I am very confident that almost everyone in here will have legal 1L summer employment, especially those at T1s. No one panic yet.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:I know everyone is stressing, but it is still pretty early in the game. Yeah, big firms, prestigious PI, and most judges are foreclosed at this point, but as was just mentioned, most smaller firms and other government/PI/PD offices, as well professors seeking RAs, haven't even hired yet. I am very confident that almost everyone in here will have legal 1L summer employment, especially those at T1s. No one panic yet.

I'M FREAKING OUT

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:I'M FREAKING OUT

:lol:

Well I know people you like, eandy, goosey, rad, etc. (and even me, although to a far lesser extent) will always stress about something. It's your blood.

But I'm sure you'll get something buddy. Even at Emtttorrrttty.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7254
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Still waiting to hear from the 1L SA firm I had my CB with and then an RA fellowship I applied to. If neither work out, my friends live on the 10th floor of my apartment building. That should be high enough.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:I'M FREAKING OUT

:lol:

Well I know people you like, eandy, goosey, rad, etc. (and even me, although to a far lesser extent) will always stress about something. It's your blood.

But I'm sure you'll get something buddy. Even at Emtttorrrttty.

*checks most recent placement stats*

Emory 21.18
Wustl 18.96

*leans back in the chair*

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Should I take something I'm not happy with, out of fear nothing better will come along? It's late and im scared to give up the offer I have and then be left with nothing :(

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:38 pm

phonepro wrote:Should I take something I'm not happy with, out of fear nothing better will come along? It's late and im scared to give up the offer I have and then be left with nothing :(


I feel like this is a personal decision. This late in the game I will take ANYTHING legal honestly. I really want the DA's office, but I thought I had a very average interview and they don't let people know till April so if I miss on that I am literally screwed cause no way in hell I am finding anything in April. If anyone offered anything right now I plan on taking it so I can stop having heart attacks about this and actually be able to focus for once.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:41 pm

phonepro wrote:Should I take something I'm not happy with, out of fear nothing better will come along? It's late and im scared to give up the offer I have and then be left with nothing :(


Do you have other interviews? If not, honestly, I would just take it since 1L summer isn't the be-all-end-all of legal employment.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:42 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
phonepro wrote:Should I take something I'm not happy with, out of fear nothing better will come along? It's late and im scared to give up the offer I have and then be left with nothing :(


I feel like this is a personal decision. This late in the game I will take ANYTHING legal honestly. I really want the DA's office, but I thought I had a very average interview and they don't let people know till April so if I miss on that I am literally screwed cause no way in hell I am finding anything in April. If anyone offered anything right now I plan on taking it so I can stop having heart attacks about this and actually be able to focus for once.


Try Prosecutor/DA offices in the surrounding counties in addition to the big city offices (if you haven't already).

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby goosey » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:49 pm

what should I do?

What is wrong with my resume??? I have internships with 2 senators [hillary clinton and kirsten gillebrand] and nothing else under experience because...I dont have any other experience. is this whats killing me? I would have thought hillary would carry me through :cry: :cry:

I didnt have my gpa on my resume until 2 days ago because I thought that unless its a 3.7 theres no point. Apparently I was wrong and ppl assume that if its not there its because it sucks. Mine is a 3.26, which by no means is stellar, but I feel like its not so bad that nobody wants to hire me :oops: and it cant be the t2 thing because other people [seems like almost everyone] in my section already has something lined up!

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:*checks most recent placement stats*

Emory 21.18
Wustl 18.96

*leans back in the chair*

:lol:

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:57 pm

goosey wrote:what should I do?

What is wrong with my resume??? I have internships with 2 senators [hillary clinton and kirsten gillebrand] and nothing else under experience because...I dont have any other experience. is this whats killing me? I would have thought hillary would carry me through :cry: :cry:

I didnt have my gpa on my resume until 2 days ago because I thought that unless its a 3.7 theres no point. Apparently I was wrong and ppl assume that if its not there its because it sucks. Mine is a 3.26, which by no means is stellar, but I feel like its not so bad that nobody wants to hire me :oops: and it cant be the t2 thing because other people [seems like almost everyone] in my section already has something lined up!

We almost could've met then. I was offered an internship with Gillebrand one summer, but turned it down for another Senator. Hilary is super impressive though.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 pm

keg411 wrote:
phonepro wrote:Should I take something I'm not happy with, out of fear nothing better will come along? It's late and im scared to give up the offer I have and then be left with nothing :(


Do you have other interviews? If not, honestly, I would just take it since 1L summer isn't the be-all-end-all of legal employment.


I have an interview on Friday with a state judge. The offer i got was for the supreme court of NY in the law department. It just seems boringggggg (all research and writing on SJ motions, no viewing of court room proceedings or anything). I also had interviews with firms and federal judges, so it's just disappointing to accept this position. I kind of want to wait for a small firm to come around, but I don't think its smart to do that.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:32 pm

phonepro wrote:
keg411 wrote:
phonepro wrote:Should I take something I'm not happy with, out of fear nothing better will come along? It's late and im scared to give up the offer I have and then be left with nothing :(


Do you have other interviews? If not, honestly, I would just take it since 1L summer isn't the be-all-end-all of legal employment.


I have an interview on Friday with a state judge. The offer i got was for the supreme court of NY in the law department. It just seems boringggggg (all research and writing on SJ motions, no viewing of court room proceedings or anything). I also had interviews with firms and federal judges, so it's just disappointing to accept this position. I kind of want to wait for a small firm to come around, but I don't think its smart to do that.


You're joking right? Yes, a State Supreme Court judge is all research and writing and while that may be boring that is going to look damn good on a resume. On top of that any supreme court state judge has killer connections and getting a letter of rec from him assuming he likes you is gold. I would take that today, like right now, literally, GO!

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:40 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
phonepro wrote:
keg411 wrote:
phonepro wrote:Should I take something I'm not happy with, out of fear nothing better will come along? It's late and im scared to give up the offer I have and then be left with nothing :(


Do you have other interviews? If not, honestly, I would just take it since 1L summer isn't the be-all-end-all of legal employment.


I have an interview on Friday with a state judge. The offer i got was for the supreme court of NY in the law department. It just seems boringggggg (all research and writing on SJ motions, no viewing of court room proceedings or anything). I also had interviews with firms and federal judges, so it's just disappointing to accept this position. I kind of want to wait for a small firm to come around, but I don't think its smart to do that.


You're joking right? Yes, a State Supreme Court judge is all research and writing and while that may be boring that is going to look damn good on a resume. On top of that any supreme court state judge has killer connections and getting a letter of rec from him assuming he likes you is gold. I would take that today, like right now, literally, GO!


THe State Supreme Court Judge interview is tomorrow. The offer was in the law department of that court (which is like a pool of attorneys that get the leftover work the judges clerks cant handle). Additionally, the Supreme Court of NY is the lowest court, not the highest (as in most states).

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:59 pm

In that case I guess you may as well wait till the interview and see how it goes. I forgot NY has the weird names for the courts. However, if your problem is that you think you'll be bored doing writing and research, you'll be doing the exact same thing at the higher state courts as well.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:16 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:In that case I guess you may as well wait till the interview and see how it goes. I forgot NY has the weird names for the courts. However, if your problem is that you think you'll be bored doing writing and research, you'll be doing the exact same thing at the higher state courts as well.


I know. I think working for a judge directly would be better though. You get to opportunity to see courtroom proceedings at least.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:44 pm

phonepro wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:In that case I guess you may as well wait till the interview and see how it goes. I forgot NY has the weird names for the courts. However, if your problem is that you think you'll be bored doing writing and research, you'll be doing the exact same thing at the higher state courts as well.


I know. I think working for a judge directly would be better though. You get to opportunity to see courtroom proceedings at least.


For a trial judge, sure. For any appellate judge, I was expressly told during interviews that you will NOT be in the courtroom and will only be doing legal research and memo writing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.