1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:13 pm

had an interview that i thought went really well, but they made calls last thursday/friday (or so they said they would) and i haven't received one, so it's virtually certain the ship sailed.

i never sent a thank-you email - do you think if i emailed them today thanking them for the interview and stating that i will definitely hope to join them next summer would be strange?

if so do i email the office assistant or the person themselves? i really wanted this position and im dying now thinking that i mightve missed it because of such a stupid oversight.

Postby 174 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:im dying now thinking that i mightve missed it because of such a stupid oversight.

A thank you note is not going to determine whether your get the job.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Do you write thank you notes for OCI interviews? I don't know that I have their contact info, and they interviewed at least 20 people.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:45 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Do you write thank you notes for OCI interviews? I don't know that I have their contact info, and they interviewed at least 20 people.

I did for my OCI interview.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Do you write thank you notes for OCI interviews? I don't know that I have their contact info, and they interviewed at least 20 people.

I did for my OCI interview.

Apparently some other kid that interviewed before me got the guys card, I didn't. If it was because he didn't like me, or because I forgot, I don't know. But, man, it's gonna be awkward when I ask this kid for the interviewers e-mail. He is competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Well I think it is time for me to join this thread. I've had 8 interviews over the last month. Two with Fed. District Judges for judicial internships; most of the others were various fed. and state govt. positions. Some paid, some unpaid, but most unpaid (including the District Court internships of course). The paid positions were generally low paying in any case (not firm pay), and I think those opportunities have mostly or totally passed for me. I am currently a 1L.

I completed a phone interview with a District Judge today (didn't get offered by the other one I interviewed with a couple weeks ago). I feel like it didn't go very well. I have a part of my educational history that I feel could potentially be compelling, and I mentioned this in both the Judge interviews, but in retrospect I think it was the wrong thing to share.

I am just really frustrated at this point because I feel like I have wasted my time with these interviews, and while many people know what they are doing for the summer I still have no good options lined up. I am seriously ready to say F*ck it and see if I can get a position with the local social service agency I worked for last summer at this point. At least it would be paying even if it is not legal related. I'm just getting frustrated with the process, and also am getting frustrated with myself because I feel like I am not winning people over effectively. And the sad thing is that I am trying to win them over to let me work for them for free for the summer while I support myself with more loans. Just kind of disgusted, but I'm fairly certain this won't be the last time I feel this way.

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:53 pm

I've also had a bunch of interviews and no offers. Trying to contain the freak-out, but it's pretty scary to think that I won't have anything lined up for the summer...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:44 am

Interviewing with MLB for an internship in their legal department. Anyone have any experience with this?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewing with MLB for an internship in their legal department. Anyone have any experience with this?

Jealous.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewing with MLB for an internship in their legal department. Anyone have any experience with this?

Jealous.

Me too. I went to a lunch in which the GC of the Pirates spoke, and judging by his stories, an MLB internship would be awesome. If you're looking for questions to ask, I'd suggest asking about salary arbitration and trademark infringement. I know the MLB handles trademark infringement for all the teams, and the arbitration process is very confusing to the average baseball fan.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 am

Scored a RA position with my favorite prof today. I shall not be unemployed

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:25 am

Cupidity wrote:Scored a RA position with my favorite prof today. I shall not be unemployed

Congrats.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:37 am

Stanford4Me wrote:

Jealous.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 am

Got an e-mail yesterday from one of the two boutique firms for my practice area in the city saying they'd decided against taking interns this summer. :(

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 am

At least I know I'll be employed this summer....might not need melatonin anymore...

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:39 am

Finally got a public interest interview! I was starting to think I'd never be able to help people.

Anyway, my paranoia still won't let me stop applying. There is an awesome internship listed with Marvel comics. Issue is they don't say what they'd need. I don't know if I should sell my ip skills, work with government or writing ability. I'd assume IP, but, what if I talk about it and they don't even do it?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:40 am

I got a federal judge externship!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:43 am

Bedsole wrote:I got a federal judge externship!

Well, beat my news. haha. But Congrats! That's awesome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Applied to about 30 in-house positions and small firms. I've had one interview, and got dinged. Otherwise I've heard nothing back from other employers. T25, ~top 10%, URM. Had CDO check my cover letters and resume. Fucking frustrated.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Applied to about 30 in-house positions and small firms. I've had one interview, and got dinged. Otherwise I've heard nothing back from other employers. T25, ~top 10%, URM. Had CDO check my cover letters and resume. Fucking frustrated.

Where are all these in-house positions? I only applied to like 3 or 4 that were on symplicity.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Congrats to everyone who got good news!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:14 pm

Basically just had to turn down a 1500 a week job.... :? FML? Already accepted an unpaid one.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:15 pm

So word of advice: the people from your school who held a job you want are great resources. Thus far I've reached out to two, and both were more than willing to answer my questions, and even arranged to meet. Sometimes they give you good insight, so you can ask your interviewers more than "what would I be doing" and spend your time with the more specific questions. Plus, if you tell your interviewer you did that, it seems like you really did your research. Anyway, just looked up the SA salary of the place Im interviewing with on Friday. Holy shit. For someone like me (top 30ish& at a t-2) to get a job that pays that well, as a 1L would be fucking amazing. It'd basically pay my rent for an entire year, even after taxes.

To above poster: damn... hope it was worth it.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Offered a position on the spot today at state court law department. They gave me to the 14th to decide. Calling firm now... O_o

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Romo wantz 1L summur jerb.

Return to “Legal Employment”