1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Holly Golightly

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:AHHH, stop it with your studying and your applying for jobs! Making me feel guilty!

Feel guilty. Very guilty.

:evil:

Hey, if I have to spend my Saturday writing a brief, you should have to suffer too. :lol:

On Thursday I slept for the first time in almost a week because of CLR, I have no sympathy for you.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:On Thursday I slept for the first time in almost a week because of CLR, I have no sympathy for you.

This kept you up? Odd

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:06 am

I'm drunk, I come hoem, check my mail and get a rejection. Not the best way to end a night.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:42 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I'm drunk, I come hoem, check my mail and get a rejection. Not the best way to end a night.

Got a rejection from one of my two interviews by snail mail of all things yesterday. I feel your pain.

Interview with me "target" firm next week. Shit better come through.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:50 pm

@Helm - Thanks for all the helpful info on the judicial internship search

I'm definitely feeling more upbeat now that the calls seem to be coming in. I guess I was just afraid that, if they didn't call immediately, they weren't calling at all. But that obviously wasn't the case, seeing as I got 5 interview offers just last week.

One of the clerks who scheduled me told me that the interview lasts an hour and a half. Is it typical for a judicial internship interview to be this long?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:15 pm

dakatz wrote:One of the clerks who scheduled me told me that the interview lasts an hour and a half. Is it typical for a judicial internship interview to be this long?

I think mine ranged from a half hour to a full hour. Maybe they do things differently there or maybe he's just giving you a high estimate so you have enough time set aside.

I sent 150 cover letters/resumes out to judges over the break (although all to a pretty competitive area and not geographically close). About two weeks ago I started freaking out because I didn't have something nailed down; it seemed like nearly everybody at my school I talked to was set. Ended up securing an internship with a federal judge in a very competitive area last week, though. Definitely was starting to sweat before getting that, and was scared as hell at the prospect of not finding anything that appealed to me. But hey, turned out all right.

Good luck!

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:20 pm

dakatz wrote:@Helm - Thanks for all the helpful info on the judicial internship search

I'm definitely feeling more upbeat now that the calls seem to be coming in. I guess I was just afraid that, if they didn't call immediately, they weren't calling at all. But that obviously wasn't the case, seeing as I got 5 interview offers just last week.

One of the clerks who scheduled me told me that the interview lasts an hour and a half. Is it typical for a judicial internship interview to be this long?

I had one that lasted that long. Half of it was a tour of the courthouse with the judge which was pretty cool.

Postby 174 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:22 pm

How are you people doing judicial internships paying for summer? Does your school give grants? Mine doesn't cover judicial internships.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm

dakatz wrote:@Helm - Thanks for all the helpful info on the judicial internship search

Two of mine were pretty long (at least an hour). The third was short but that was because the judge was sick, so I just met with the clerk. Have a lot of questions for the judge; they can just be general and don't have to be geared to what interns do or anything like that.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:39 pm

174 wrote:How are you people doing judicial internships paying for summer? Does your school give grants? Mine doesn't cover judicial internships.

Mine doesn't either. My plan has been to live pretty meagerly while maxing out school loans and living off the residue of that over the summer, more than likely supplemented with credit cards / non-legal work over the weekends.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
174 wrote:How are you people doing judicial internships paying for summer? Does your school give grants? Mine doesn't cover judicial internships.

Mine doesn't either. My plan has been to live pretty meagerly while maxing out school loans and living off the residue of that over the summer, more than likely supplemented with credit cards / non-legal work over the weekends.

My school gives grants for PI and gov., including judicial

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Strict budget during the school year. I've lived like a f-ing hermit (went to happy hour/bar review twice and won't be going again because it's too expensive).

Magnificent

Postby Magnificent » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:14 pm

how rare is getting a 1L SA position at a firm that pays market rate?

I got a position that will pay me 3K a week and want to know what percentage of 1L's get a position like this.

Thanks guys.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Magnificent wrote:how rare is getting a 1L SA position at a firm that pays market rate?

I got a position that will pay me 3K a week and want to know what percentage of 1L's get a position like this.

Thanks guys.

Low...very low...congrats. Some would say that it is "Magnificent" that you got that.
Where at? NYC?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Magnificent wrote:how rare is getting a 1L SA position at a firm that pays market rate?

Thanks guys.

Low...very low...congrats. Some would say that it is "Magnificent" that you got that.
Where at? NYC?

Wait, did you SERIOUSLY create an account just to brag about your $3k/wk job? Really? Just checked your posts...I hate these people...

Magnificent

Postby Magnificent » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Thanks guys.

Where at? NYC?

Wait, did you SERIOUSLY create an account just to brag about your $3k/wk job? Really? Just checked your posts...I hate these people...

no

I have been a lurker for a couple of weeks and decided to join

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Thanks guys.

Where at? NYC?

his first post was much more magnificent:

just another flame wrote:160k starting salary = biglaw

PERIOD

and when someone asked if DLA Piper was biglaw (since they start at 145k) he said:

the word of our lord wrote:if you don't pay market base salary then your not worthy of my attention as firm

who gives a damn about the # of lawyers at a firm

don't people go to firms for the $$$

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks guys.

At NYU, 8-9% of 1Ls get SA gigs.

Magnificent

Postby Magnificent » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

Thanks guys.

At NYU, 8-9% of 1Ls get SA gigs.

cool

thanks

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:49 pm

fatduck wrote:his first post was much more magnificent:

just another flame wrote:160k starting salary = biglaw

PERIOD

and when someone asked if DLA Piper was biglaw (since they start at 145k) he said:

the word of our lord wrote:if you don't pay market base salary then your not worthy of my attention as firm

who gives a damn about the # of lawyers at a firm

don't people go to firms for the $$$

Yeah...like I said...

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Is calling a job useful if you haven't heard back? Or should I just wait for them to contact me?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Is calling a job useful if you haven't heard back? Or should I just wait for them to contact me?

Have you just sent in application materials or have you been interviewed?

I called my top choice to check my status when I hadn't heard anything for two weeks and they hadn't gotten the materials I had mailed. I promptly sent them to the person in charge of hiring and I now have my interview tomorrow.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Quote from today's interview:

Interviewer: "I typically like to have some diversity. We've had interns from Taiwan, Iraq, all over. This year, we don't have very many diverse candidates, though."

Me: "If it makes you feel better, my girlfriend is a Chinese citizen..."

It seemed to go over pretty well.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Bedsole wrote:Quote from today's interview:

Interviewer: "I typically like to have some diversity. We've had interns from Taiwan, Iraq, all over. This year, we don't have very many diverse candidates, though."

Me: "If it makes you feel better, my girlfriend is a Chinese citizen..."

It seemed to go over pretty well.

Seems like I need to start dating some more diverse ladies.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Anyone have a good cover letter example for RA jobs?

Return to “Legal Employment”