1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JazzOne

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Bedsole wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Today I got one rejection that just straight up told me I was unqualified, even though the only requirement listed was that you be a law student. lol.

Then 10 minutes later I got an interview and the lady just said "come in on this day at this time." I technically have class. Do I just skip class or tell her I can't make it? Prob. skip class, even though I'm not all that interested in this position. I do wish I could land one of the jobs I actually want.

Skip class and don't go to the interview.

lol

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 pm

JazzOne wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Today I got one rejection that just straight up told me I was unqualified, even though the only requirement listed was that you be a law student. lol.

Then 10 minutes later I got an interview and the lady just said "come in on this day at this time." I technically have class. Do I just skip class or tell her I can't make it? Prob. skip class, even though I'm not all that interested in this position. I do wish I could land one of the jobs I actually want.

Paid job? Go to interview.

Actually, I don't think it's paid. But, whatever, I'll just go. Unless I get a job before then *crossing my fingers.*

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Got federal district court interview day after state supreme court interview. Guess they all picked the same time to go through applications. My interview total went from 2 to 7 in less than a week. Doesn't look like any of the firms will be calling, but with the number of judges im interviewing with, I feel pretty good about getting this summer job search over with

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Class? Are you kidding? Go to the interview. You need a job more than you need to be in class.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:17 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Class? Are you kidding? Go to the interview. You need a job more than you need to be in class.

Says the guy spending every waking moment in the library. :D

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:17 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Actually, I don't think it's paid. But, whatever, I'll just go. Unless I get a job before then *crossing my fingers.*

I hate it when the pay situation is ambiguous. That makes a big difference.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:22 pm

JazzOne wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I hate it when the pay situation is ambiguous. That makes a big difference.

I'm 99% sure this one is not, actually. But, I have two interviews next week that were ambiguous. One was with a 100+ person firm, and the other with a large corporation, so my inclination would be that they are paid. But, not knowing is quite annoying, and it's not like you can ask. Or can you? I had an interview yesterday, and the guy said "by the way we pay, we just wanted to see who would apply without knowing." But then he never said how much. Since it's an extremely small firm, my guess is like $10/hr. Which is far better than nothing.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Absolutely nailed my 1L in-house interview this afternoon. Both attorneys were laughing, telling old law school stories, etc. Even got the "you would really fit in well here" line.

--ImageRemoved--

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Had a few questions about judicial internships for those who might know:

--Is there any real consensus as to which is more pretigious of a federal district court internship or an internship with chief justice of my state supreme court? My state is very insular and REALLY values local ties, so I was told that interning in the state court system may have extra weight here as compared to other places. But in general, are these two fairly equal with regard to prestige of the position?

--The state Supreme Court internship would only be part time. I also scheduled it to be my very first interview. So if I somehow got an offer on the spot, how do you think I should handle it when I go into my next few interviews? Would I need to straight-up tell them that I'm only interested in part-time before they even start the interview? Or would you wait and see if they make an offer, and then let them know you can only do a few days a week.

--Any biggie questions I should be prepared for? Was told that my fed district court interview will be with a series of law clerks, and will be an hour and a half. I have no clue what they plan to talk about for that long (aside from "why do you want to be in state X"). I'd imagine they ask why you went to law school, why you want to work for a judge, favorite class, career plans, etc. But are there any common questions that one wouldn't expect? Thanks a lot guys.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:54 pm

dakatz wrote:Had a few questions about judicial internships for those who might know:

--Is there any real consensus as to which is more pretigious of a federal district court internship or an internship with chief justice of my state supreme court? My state is very insular and REALLY values local ties, so I was told that interning in the state court system may have extra weight here as compared to other places. But in general, are these two fairly equal with regard to prestige of the position?

Every single upperclassman I've talked to at my school has thought that a fed dist internship was definitely more prestigious than any state court clerkship, including the state supreme court. I know that a lot of people here applying for judicial internships didn't even bother applying to state courts. Maybe that's a bias particular to my school / level of school.

dakatz wrote:--The state Supreme Court internship would only be part time. I also scheduled it to be my very first interview. So if I somehow got an offer on the spot, how do you think I should handle it when I go into my next few interviews? Would I need to straight-up tell them that I'm only interested in part-time before they even start the interview? Or would you wait and see if they make an offer, and then let them know you can only do a few days a week.

I would wait and see if they make an offer, then let them know. Of course, if they bring it up before then, you should let them know.

dakatz wrote:--Any biggie questions I should be prepared for? Was told that my fed district court interview will be with a series of law clerks, and will be an hour and a half. I have no clue what they plan to talk about for that long (aside from "why do you want to be in state X"). I'd imagine they ask why you went to law school, why you want to work for a judge, favorite class, career plans, etc. But are there any common questions that one wouldn't expect? Thanks a lot guys.

The most common questions I had were:

How is law school going / How do you like law school / What do you think of law school
What is your favorite class / least favorite class / why
Why this area of the country
Why do you want to intern for a judge
Tell me about X on your resume
What type of work do you see yourself doing / what areas of the law have interested you so far
Why law / why law school

Of course, I had a couple curveballs sort of like what another poster put up:

Who is your favorite SCOTUS judge? Why?
Which of his/her opinions did you like the most? Why?
How do you see the originalist interpretation of the Constitution developing over the 21st century?

An hour and a half sounds like an incredibly long time. I never had anything go nearly that long. I don't really know what is meant by the "series of law clerks." Typically for me, it would be a conversation with one or two clerks and then a conversation with the judge (honestly, I think "conversation" is the best way to describe what I want through than an "interview" - I think they just try to decide if they would like having you around for a few months).

Mitch McDeere

Postby Mitch McDeere » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:56 pm

OGR3 wrote:I'm sorry, but the credited response is:

Thank you for playing. Better luck next time.

Jam?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:59 pm

To the person who posted Toejam & Earl: I love you. Favorite game ever. Been playing it since I got my Genesis when I was 8. I actually broke out the old thing last summer and FINALLY beat it. Yes, I'm totally a poindexter, dufus, etc. (those who ever played it will understand the reference)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:59 pm

NO MORE COVER LETTERS, AHHHHH

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:40 am

Holly Golightly wrote:NO MORE COVER LETTERS, AHHHHH

Got a jerb?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:42 am

dakatz wrote:Had a few questions about judicial internships for those who might know:

Consensus here is that doesn't matter what you do 1L as long as you have something to talk about for 2L OCI.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:46 am

dakatz wrote:To the person who posted Toejam & Earl: I love you. Favorite game ever. Been playing it since I got my Genesis when I was 8. I actually broke out the old thing last summer and FINALLY beat it. Yes, I'm totally a poindexter, dufus, etc. (those who ever played it will understand the reference)

the hot tub level was the best.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:47 am

fatduck wrote:
dakatz wrote:To the person who posted Toejam & Earl: I love you. Favorite game ever. Been playing it since I got my Genesis when I was 8. I actually broke out the old thing last summer and FINALLY beat it. Yes, I'm totally a poindexter, dufus, etc. (those who ever played it will understand the reference)

the hot tub level was the best.

Yes!! Level 0 where you could chill with the hula hotties in the hottub.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 am

rad law wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:NO MORE COVER LETTERS, AHHHHH

Got a jerb?

lol, no. Just bitching.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:51 pm

OGR3 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Class? Are you kidding? Go to the interview. You need a job more than you need to be in class.

Don't get me wrong, if K&L Gates calls me tomorrow and says they are ready to sign a contract for post-grad I would never see this library again.

*This message was written while at BARCO Library*

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:02 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, if K&L Gates calls me tomorrow and says they are ready to sign a contract for post-grad I would never see this library again.

It's brief weekend, so that message didn't count.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:33 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Wait, they didn't call you? They called me last week and offered that exact thing!

*This message was written while sitting in my comfortable home*

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:56 pm

AHHH, stop it with your studying and your applying for jobs! Making me feel guilty!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:AHHH, stop it with your studying and your applying for jobs! Making me feel guilty!

Feel guilty. Very guilty.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:AHHH, stop it with your studying and your applying for jobs! Making me feel guilty!

:evil:

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

:evil:

Hey, if I have to spend my Saturday writing a brief, you should have to suffer too. :lol:

Return to “Legal Employment”