1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:45 pm

phonepro wrote:I earlier posted my response email from a SA position: "We hope to let you know by the end of next week. Let us know if anything comes up with your candidacy in the meantime".

End of next week is NOW. I am dying with every email that comes into my inbox, lol.

If I don't hear back tomorrow, I may go insane.

the end of next week is in 8 days. you might be insane already.

:D

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:
rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:SA cb interview went pretty well. It was kind of tough to adjust to switching rooms and interviewers every 20-30 minutes because just as time ran up was when I felt like I was really clicking with the interviewers. Overall I'm happy with my interview performance, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

My sentiments exactly. Just asked the firm if they could make a decision by the same deadline to accept that other offer I mentioned a few pages ago. So I'll know fairly soon one way of the other.

What's your timeline bro?

2 weeks until I find out if I'm a lucky bastard or if I have to beg to do research for my civ pro professor. I'm hoping that since I clicked the best with the head honchos at the firm (named partner 1 and named partner 2) that a good word from them will go a long way.

I feel you bro. About the same length of time for me too. I would love this firm job.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:59 pm

Got an offer from the first office that interviewed me... I was getting worried that were leading me on. Two interviews went well this week... and I got a part time job for spring too. Decided to skip K and just head to the biweekly beer sess.

It's a good day.

Also, Zipcars are fucking awesome. I highly recommend them.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:03 pm

Borhas wrote:Got an offer from the first office that interviewed me... I was getting worried that were leading me on. Two interviews went well this week... and I got a part time job for spring too. Decided to skip K and just head to the biweekly beer sess.

It's a good day.

Firm? Either way, nice.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:04 pm

fatduck wrote:
phonepro wrote:I earlier posted my response email from a SA position: "We hope to let you know by the end of next week. Let us know if anything comes up with your candidacy in the meantime".

End of next week is NOW. I am dying with every email that comes into my inbox, lol.

If I don't hear back tomorrow, I may go insane.

the end of next week is in 8 days. you might be insane already.

:D

LMAO.. no i got the email on Feb 14th. So, I guess it'd be tomorrow.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:33 pm

dakatz wrote:Got an interview offer from Chief Justice of my home state's Supreme Court. Really excited about it. Given that this is where I want to practice, I would say this is the absolute ideal position for me this summer, even above a district court or magistrate judge internship. Gotta rock this one. My interview total went from 2 to 6 in a week, with this one being the best so far. Guess a lot of judges are still in the hiring process.

Congrats!!! I knew it would come through for you :-).

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm

rad law wrote:
Borhas wrote:Got an offer from the first office that interviewed me... I was getting worried that were leading me on. Two interviews went well this week... and I got a part time job for spring too. Decided to skip K and just head to the biweekly beer sess.

It's a good day.

Firm? Either way, nice.

oh no, I'm referring to Public Defender offices... now I have to decide whether I'd want to work in San Diego or San Francisco
(woe is to me, I know :lol: )

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:22 pm

I still can't believe I was stupid enough to put "Mr." to a clerk that is female. Its been eating away at me all day. This wasn't a cover letter or anything, this was an email response to her asking when I am available to interview. I am thinking she either needs to overlook the mistake or just laugh about it for me to have ANY shot at still getting this interview. The internship has to do with research and writing entirely and if I can't keep genders straight they should only assume that I will be utterly worthless at doing everything else.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I still can't believe I was stupid enough to put "Mr." to a clerk that is female. Its been eating away at me all day. This wasn't a cover letter or anything, this was an email response to her asking when I am available to interview. I am thinking she either needs to overlook the mistake or just laugh about it for me to have ANY shot at still getting this interview. The internship has to do with research and writing entirely and if I can't keep genders straight they should only assume that I will be utterly worthless at doing everything else.

Oddly enough, I did the same thing not long ago. The lady still got back to me and offered me interview times, so I doubt it's going to hurt you very badly (if at all)

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:37 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I still can't believe I was stupid enough to put "Mr." to a clerk that is female. Its been eating away at me all day. This wasn't a cover letter or anything, this was an email response to her asking when I am available to interview. I am thinking she either needs to overlook the mistake or just laugh about it for me to have ANY shot at still getting this interview. The internship has to do with research and writing entirely and if I can't keep genders straight they should only assume that I will be utterly worthless at doing everything else.

Oddly enough, I did the same thing not long ago. The lady still got back to me and offered me interview times, so I doubt it's going to hurt you very badly (if at all)

probably a 50/50 chance she didn't even notice

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:48 pm

fatduck wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

SHE noticed, and your chance at this internship is gone. Sorry.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:51 pm

fatduck wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

My roommate interviewed with a firm and afterwards sent a follow up email. He addressed a male partner of the firm as "Ms." Afraid they would notice and be pissed, he sent a follow-up email apologizing. He again prefaced the email with "Dear Ms." After realizing how much he failed at life, he just gave up.

He still hasnt heard back from that firm...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Sorry bro, I think you might be f'd.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:39 pm

So I have 2 interviews next week in case the firm doesn't work out. I'm hoping I don't even have to go, but..

The first is with the Supreme Court of NY law department. The law department is like a pool of attorneys who clerk for the entire court, as opposed to a specific judge. The second is with a Judge in the same court (she is a graduate of my school). I was pretty much offered both on the phone, the interview is more of an informal meeting.

Any opinion on which I should take? Are either of them any good? I'm not really so gungho about either, but if the firm doesnt work out, I just really want to get it out of the way sooner rather than later.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 pm

rad law wrote:

Completely agree, totally f'd unless she's skimming the email or something.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:08 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
rad law wrote:

Completely agree, totally f'd unless she's skimming the email or something.

If it's any consolation, the rejection letter I received from the chambers of one of our local federal judges grossly misspelled my name and I didn't notice it until I was clearing off the kitchen counter a couple days later.

Realistically, you're screwed. I think it's common knowledge that I barely have enough brain activity to function, unlike a judicial clerk.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 pm

rad law wrote:

Yep. I put the wrong name in the address line of a cover letter and submitted it through Symplicity, and immediately realized my mistake. I immediately emailed the hiring partner and corrected it, didn't get an email response, and then was dinged about 3-4 days later. And this was a tiny firm in central Illinois that I think I was probably overqualified for, and they didn't even hesitate in dinging me without giving me a second look.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:23 am

Jesus Fucking Christ...

I just sent an e-mail to a partner at a law firm seeking an informational interview. I forgot to attach my resume, didn't space between two words, and used the wrong word in another part of the e-mail. This is why you shouldn't send important e-mails late at night.

Should I send a follow up e-mail with the resume, or resign myself to being pwned?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:51 am

TTH wrote:Jesus Fucking Christ...

I just sent an e-mail to a partner at a law firm seeking an informational interview. I forgot to attach my resume, didn't space between two words, and used the wrong word in another part of the e-mail. This is why you shouldn't send important e-mails late at night.

Should I send a follow up e-mail with the resume, or resign myself to being pwned?

Doesn't hurt to send the follow-up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:56 am

T-20, top 10%/5%

Applied to 50 Fed. Judges, one interview, hasn't happened yet.

30 Firms, on one "waitlist", nothing else.

Blanketed some local public interest,

Where should I spend tomorrow applying?

Sorry for anon, my whole section knows who I am.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:T-20, top 10%/5%

Hit your local government organs yet? How about professors? Any you want to work for? I need to think of a backup plan post haste as well.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:T-20, top 10%/5%

DA, PD, USAO, AG, state govt. agencies

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:04 am

rad law wrote:

Partner replied to my e-mail this morning and let me have it. Not for the mistakes, but for the very notion of trying to network. He more or less said "Nothing but grades and extracurriculars matter. You're a tool, but I'll be happy to meet with you." :?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:09 am

TTH wrote:
rad law wrote:

Partner replied to my e-mail this morning and let me have it. Not for the mistakes, but for the very notion of trying to network. He more or less said "Nothing but grades and extracurriculars matter. You're a tool, but I'll be happy to meet with you." :?

Where are you located? The vast majority of the people I've contacted in Pittsburgh are incredibly nice, and the ones who weren't willing to meet with me still sent a nice response.

It could very well be that this partner was just a douchebag.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 am

I have a bunch of phone interviews coming up. Slightly freaking out because I've never done a phone interview before and I have a cold. Eep!

Return to “Legal Employment”