1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
phonepro

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:51 pm

Just received a rejection from VT10 firm from a mass mailing. I sent all my mailings to the recruiting directors, and all of my rejections (and interview offers) have been from them.

This one came back from a Partner (not even the hiring partner). It starts off with a paragraph about how they can only hire very limited 1Ls. Then says: "Given your excellent credentials, we hope that your interest in [firm] continues and that you will take the time to see us when we interview in the summer."

I'm not delusional. I know this is just a re-apply next semester rejection. But I just found it weird it came from a random partner. I also feel like the language could be read as an offer for an interview in the summer.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 am

phonepro wrote:Just received a rejection from VT10 firm from a mass mailing. I sent all my mailings to the recruiting directors, and all of my rejections (and interview offers) have been from them.

This one came back from a Partner (not even the hiring partner). It starts off with a paragraph about how they can only hire very limited 1Ls. Then says: "Given your excellent credentials, we hope that your interest in [firm] continues and that you will take the time to see us when we interview in the summer."

I'm not delusional. I know this is just a re-apply next semester rejection. But I just found it weird it came from a random partner. I also feel like the language could be read as an offer for an interview in the summer.

Don't get ahead of yourself. They haven't even seen half of your grades.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 am

phonepro wrote:Just received a rejection from VT10 firm from a mass mailing. I sent all my mailings to the recruiting directors, and all of my rejections (and interview offers) have been from them.

Hate to shoot you down, but thats totally a stock letter. Got a bunch of them, and they are almost all the same. Some came from partners, some from staff people, etc. But thats nothing but a stock rejection. They all encourage us to apply in the summer, and laud our "excellent credentials"

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:21 am

rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:My SA CB interview is tomorrow morning, and of course our brief is also due tomorrow. Going to have to get up real early to do more research on my interviewers. On the bright side, the bar will be waiting for me tomorrow night for a much needed stress release.

At least the brief is keeping me busy enough not to get nervous, I suppose that's a plus.

edit: just saw your post geek, I'll be happy to let you know what kind of questions I got asked if you want.

Wait so is this for a firm or in-house?

Mine is a boutique firm, geek's is an in-house.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 am

beach_terror wrote:
rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:My SA CB interview is tomorrow morning, and of course our brief is also due tomorrow. Going to have to get up real early to do more research on my interviewers. On the bright side, the bar will be waiting for me tomorrow night for a much needed stress release.

At least the brief is keeping me busy enough not to get nervous, I suppose that's a plus.

edit: just saw your post geek, I'll be happy to let you know what kind of questions I got asked if you want.

Wait so is this for a firm or in-house?

Mine is a boutique firm, geek's is an in-house.

Oh ok. Best of luck bro.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 am

LOL thanks guys. I said I wasn't delusional, I knew what it was. Just the random partner thing threw me off.

"We hope that you'll come see us when we interview in the summer"

I shall sue on promissory estoppel!! :P

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:52 am

So, after I accept a position for the summer, am I supposed to contact every employer where I have an application pending and withdraw my application? Cause... that would be a lot of employers. But I feel like I should do this? Thoughts? How would I go about doing this? E-mail? What if I have only sent out apps through snail mail?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:00 am

traehekat wrote:So, after I accept a position for the summer, am I supposed to contact every employer where I have an application pending and withdraw my application? Cause... that would be a lot of employers. But I feel like I should do this? Thoughts? How would I go about doing this? E-mail? What if I have only sent out apps through snail mail?

I only notified the ones who responded to me positively (i.e. application pending, we'd like to see grades). I can't imagine you're required to notify an employer who hasn't even responded to your initial inquiry.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:01 am

phonepro wrote:LOL thanks guys. I said I wasn't delusional, I knew what it was. Just the random partner thing threw me off.

"We hope that you'll come see us when we interview in the summer"

I shall sue on promissory estoppel!! :P

Only if you relied on the promise to your detriment! :wink:

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:25 am

dakatz wrote:

Hate to shoot you down, but thats totally a stock letter. Got a bunch of them, and they are almost all the same. Some came from partners, some from staff people, etc. But thats nothing but a stock rejection. They all encourage us to apply in the summer, and laud our "excellent credentials"

I've received at least 20 of those with almost the exact same text. I go to a T2 so I wonder how many of them even read my resume when they say "You have excellent credentials" haha.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 am

Had a screener yesterday. He asked me three questions, then asked if I had any questions. D'oh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:12 am

anyone at CLS hear back from EDNY or SDNY civil after OCI?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:13 am

TTH wrote:Had a screener yesterday. He asked me three questions, then asked if I had any questions. D'oh.

Consider yourself lucky. I had a screener in which that was the first question.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:16 am

JazzOne wrote:
TTH wrote:Had a screener yesterday. He asked me three questions, then asked if I had any questions. D'oh.

Consider yourself lucky. I had a screener in which that was the first question.

Ouch.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:13 am

Got word that Friday's interview consists of two interviews, each thirty minutes long.

mfw I leave that room.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:54 pm

For some reason, I'm having considerably more luck with the places I shouldn't be having luck (firms/corporations) and literally no luck in public interest.

Next week I have two OCI's. One at a large firm in a small market. Odd because I did a mock interview with their firm, so I feel like perhaps I'll be repeating the same thing? I'm not sure how to act for this one. I.E - acknowledge that we've basically already interviewed already, although I think that is why I was granted this one. I wrote a letter saying the mock interview encouraged me to want to work there. Then I have one at a large corp. that seems to just be giving interviews with whoever applied, based off the other people that seemed to have gotten one. Still, either position seems like it would look good on a resume, so, I dunno.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:57 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:For some reason, I'm having considerably more luck with the places I shouldn't be having luck (firms/corporations) and literally no luck in public interest.

Next week I have two OCI's. One at a large firm in a small market. Odd because I did a mock interview with their firm, so I feel like perhaps I'll be repeating the same thing? I'm not sure how to act for this one. I.E - acknowledge that we've basically already interviewed already, although I think that is why I was granted this one. I wrote a letter saying the mock interview encouraged me to want to work there. Then I have one at a large corp. that seems to just be giving interviews with whoever applied, based off the other people that seemed to have gotten one. Still, either position seems like it would look good on a resume, so, I dunno.

Do you have prior PI work experience? Often PI employers prefer relevant experience over grades, or at the least, much more so than firms.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 pm

OGR3 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:For some reason, I'm having considerably more luck with the places I shouldn't be having luck (firms/corporations) and literally no luck in public interest.

Do you have prior PI work experience? Often PI employers prefer relevant experience over grades, or at the least, much more so than firms.

I volunteer teaching kids, interned in the hill and once worked at a record label. But, all my extracurriculars in undergrad were more policy oriented (President College Dems, Thesis on gay marriage, ect.) Plus, my grades are only top 25% at a t-2. These grades don't seem good enough for a large corp. I'm really just confused. And the sad part, is I'd much prefer public interest I think.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:10 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

I volunteer teaching kids, interned in the hill and once worked at a record label. But, all my extracurriculars in undergrad were more policy oriented (President College Dems, Thesis on gay marriage, ect.) Plus, my grades are only top 25% at a t-2. These grades don't seem good enough for a large corp. I'm really just confused. And the sad part, is I'd much prefer public interest I think.

Talk to alums of your school who do work with non-profits. Most medium and big firms who have at least one person who advises non-profits on tax and estates matters. They're a great resource for getting more contacts in the field.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:01 pm

In an interesting predicament . . . I had two callback interviews in January which should let me know their decision within the next two weeks, and a third callback early next week. While I am ecstatic to have these three options, I received a call from a judge's chambers asking for some follow-up information re: my application. This begs two questions: (1) when should I send my additional materials to this judge, given I would like to hear back from these firms, and (2) when, if ever, should I mention to the judge my other pending options?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 pm

I have a small predicament. I interviewed with a prosecutor's office in a city near my school a couple of weeks ago. The interview resulted in an offer the same day. I am not sure whether I officially accepted or not. The interviewer told me to stay in touch, especially as we get closer to the starting date.

Today, I got an offer to intern at a prosecutor's office in a more preferred market. I am seriously considering this other internship, but am I bound by the one that I already might have accepted? I don't know what to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:40 pm

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a small predicament. I interviewed with a prosecutor's office in a city near my school a couple of weeks ago. The interview resulted in an offer the same day. I am not sure whether I officially accepted or not. The interviewer told me to stay in touch, especially as we get closer to the starting date.

Today, I got an offer to intern at a prosecutor's office in a more preferred market. I am seriously considering this other internship, but am I bound by the one that I already might have accepted? I don't know what to do.

If you don't even know that you accepted, then my guess is you aren't bound. But, I don't really know. I mean, the worst that can happen is that the one Prosecutors office doesn't like you. At least I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:48 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a small predicament. I interviewed with a prosecutor's office in a city near my school a couple of weeks ago. The interview resulted in an offer the same day. I am not sure whether I officially accepted or not. The interviewer told me to stay in touch, especially as we get closer to the starting date.

If you don't even know that you accepted, then my guess is you aren't bound. But, I don't really know. I mean, the worst that can happen is that the one Prosecutors office doesn't like you. At least I think.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The thing is that I might want to work with this local office in the future. Most people would call me and idiot for even considering a small city in Georgia over the one in Florida. It's a bigger office in a city that most people would say is more desirable. I just want to get back to Georgia.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Just did an interview with a federal magistrate judge over the phone. Questions included:

Who is your favorite SCOTUS judge? Why?
Which of his/her opinions did you like the most? Why?
How do you see the originalist interpretation of the Constitution developing over the 21st century?

Return to “Legal Employment”