1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronte

Gold

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Bronte » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:18 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Bronte wrote:I did. I think it's pretty weird / nontraditional to discuss the particular judge in the body of the letter, but I could be wrong. The example cover letters I read were very formal and minimal, even compared to firm letters.
+1

If it's a bankruptcy judge or state criminal court, maybe switch the cover letter around a little to show your level of interest, but my content for all federal district judges was the same.
Yeah for bankruptcy chambers I switched up the wording a little bit to emphasize business analysis, but even that was very minimal.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 am

I need to hang out in this thread more. Haven't really done anything in terms of applying for internships yet.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:43 pm

solotee wrote:I need to hang out in this thread more. Haven't really done anything in terms of applying for internships yet.
It's tough to muster up any motivation before you get grades. I recently just started to get the ball moving on summer employment, and my impression is that we aren't really too far behind for most stuff (any shot a larger firm in a major market, if they existed, is probably out the window, though).

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:47 pm

traehekat wrote:
solotee wrote:I need to hang out in this thread more. Haven't really done anything in terms of applying for internships yet.
It's tough to muster up any motivation before you get grades. I recently just started to get the ball moving on summer employment, and my impression is that we aren't really too far behind for most stuff (any shot a larger firm in a major market, if they existed, is probably out the window, though).

A lot of small/mid size firms I applied to have told me they will hold my application till march/april before they begin reviewing them. Your shot at big firms and prestigious judicial internships are probably very low now. But many smaller firms and state court judges are still hiring interns to the best of my knowledge.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Phone interview for a Fed PD position today. Gimme good luck, people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:52 pm

bjsesq wrote:Phone interview for a Fed PD position today. Gimme good luck, people.
Congrats on the interview and good luck :).

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Glad to see that there is a lot of discussion about applying for judicial internships because I have some questions...

First, I am right that judicial interns don't get stipends? My school has given us some info on federal work-study (more loan money?), but I haven't seen anything on a stipend.

Do you think it would be better to spend a summer with a judge at the District Court vs. something like the County Prosecutor's office (small stipend), Governor's office (small stipend), AG's office (stipend/unpaid), small firm (small wage)? I'm wondering which of these positions offers better intangible benfits in terms of legal writing skills, looking good on a resume, or simply better exposure to real legal work.

I'm particularly concerned about this because the application deadlines for all of these positions is roughly around the same date. The only thing is, we're told that if we apply for a judicial internship, we must accept the position if offered. I don't want to apply only to decide that I'd rather be working for someone else.

I know we're just a bunch of 1Ls, but does anyone have helpful advice on this?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:42 pm

A district court judge is generally > pretty much anything else you can realistically get as a 1L unless you go to a t14. Big Firms or USAO is likely better, but thats not as realistic.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 pm

had an interview yesterday...find out monday about 2nd round. and also find out monday if i made it to the 2nd round for the firm fellowship ::crosses fingers::

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 pm

goosey wrote:had an interview yesterday...find out monday about 2nd round. and also find out monday if i made it to the 2nd round for the firm fellowship ::crosses fingers::
Congrats goosey, you sound like you're in a good spot for this summer's search.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:55 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
goosey wrote:had an interview yesterday...find out monday about 2nd round. and also find out monday if i made it to the 2nd round for the firm fellowship ::crosses fingers::
Congrats goosey, you sound like you're in a good spot for this summer's search.
thanks! in honesty though, not really...those are the only two things I applied for. I havent even written my cover letter yet. I think I am unreasonably believing one of the two will pan out--quite ridiculous considering the judicial internship picks like 5 ppl from all nyc school and the firm one..well obviously, that one is going to be insane. I need to apply to more places.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:50 am

1L OCI bids due at 2 tomorrow. 17 firms, 15 bids to spread out. Not bidding on govt. Should be interesting.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:21 am

rad law wrote:1L OCI bids due at 2 tomorrow. 17 firms, 15 bids to spread out. Not bidding on govt. Should be interesting.
Speaking of which, what is everyone else seeing as far as 1L OCI turnout? I know this isn't necessarily indicative of much (other than the already known fact that most places don't hire 1Ls), but I'm still kinda curious.

We had only 5 firms, 2 govt, 2 resume collections.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:42 am

traehekat wrote:
rad law wrote:1L OCI bids due at 2 tomorrow. 17 firms, 15 bids to spread out. Not bidding on govt. Should be interesting.
Speaking of which, what is everyone else seeing as far as 1L OCI turnout? I know this isn't necessarily indicative of much (other than the already known fact that most places don't hire 1Ls), but I'm still kinda curious.

all approximates because Im too lazy to look on simplicity this morning....

10 firms, 2 govt, 2 PI, 1 resume collect

for some reason there are a good number of alabama firms coming :?:

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:07 am

Tell you what yall, if I actually get any 1L OCI interviews, I'll make a thread.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:47 am

Our school has no 1L OCI. They had a career panel yesterday with attorneys who basically said the market is bad and you should look at temp work or paralegal jobs for now.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:51 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Our school has no 1L OCI. They had a career panel yesterday with attorneys who basically said the market is bad and you should look at temp work or paralegal jobs for now.

To be fair you're not really missing much, I don't if I call 17 firms an OCI

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:51 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Our school has no 1L OCI. They had a career panel yesterday with attorneys who basically said the market is bad and you should look at temp work or paralegal jobs for now.

Anti Notre dame trolling

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 pm

moandersen wrote:
traehekat wrote:

all approximates because Im too lazy to look on simplicity this morning....

10 firms, 2 govt, 2 PI, 1 resume collect

for some reason there are a good number of alabama firms coming :?:
The Alabama thing caught my eye too. You also have to remember that our OCI runs through the end of March or so, so firms still have a good amount of time to get their stuff in.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:23 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

Some schools have 17 firms at 2L lolci. But yes, 17 firms is eh. Apparently it's way up for us over last yr. though.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Reason there are so many Alabama firms is because Alabama firms traditionally hire a lot of 1L's...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Got axed from the firm fellowship today..not as disappointed as I thought I would be, considering the opportunity. Maybe bc I knew how competitive it was...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Got an offer at a PD office. Pretty excited.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:31 pm

bjsesq wrote:Got an offer at a PD office. Pretty excited.
Congrats!

Also, finally snagged a Fed court internship interview :D.
Last edited by keg411 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:15 pm

keg411 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Got an offer at a PD office. Pretty excited.
Congrats!

Also, finally snagged a Fed clerkship interview :D.
Well done.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”