1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JazzOne

Gold

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by JazzOne » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:I guess the key here is to aim low, early, and aggressively.
That's my dating strategy.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 pm

2L2011 wrote:If your smart you WON'T get a job your 1L summer. Just take classes over the summer, even in your school only lets you do it part time. Stay ahead that way, get done sooner and get a real job. Heck it's an excuse to get credit to go overseas in the summer abroads. You can have fun with it too.

That being said, if it's your 2L summer and your school approves you to do your required externship that way to be more focused while out of class, then go for it. Just not during 1L.
what sort of "real" jobs can you get over the summer that would help you get a good 2L summer job (that are also part time so you can go to those summer classes)?

For some, VERY FEW, people taking classes can help... these people are those that want to take criminal practice clinics at their school ASAP. My school req's Evidence, Crim Pro, Trial Ad, and Professional Responsibility... if for whatever reason (Pre-reqs or scheduling conflicts) you can't take all these classes in your fall 2L semester, then you'll have to wait till 3L before taking one of those clinics. If you take one or two classes in the summer then you could start the clinic in your 2L spring semester.

Taking classes could be doable if you have a part time legal job. If you are a research assistant or interning with a judge you might not have to put in 40 hours a week so you could still have time to take class...

But at that point, you're probably trying too hard... on the other hand summer classes are easier, and by your 2L year you might be over the whole taking classes thing, and you might be able to load up on clinics for the rest of your law school days
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:08 pm

shawty18ga wrote:Apparently these prosecutor's office internships are not too hard to get. Got accepted to one today without an interview.
+1. I've been saying this all along. Anyone still looking for a job, you should really start looking into these.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 pm

romothesavior wrote: +1. I've been saying this all along. Anyone still looking for a job, you should really start looking into these.

It seems like most of my classmates have yet to have anything lined up and we haven't even done spring OCI yet. Is our school this far behind everyone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 pm

anyone at columbia know when USAO EDNY/SDNY will get back to us if we interviewed at OCI?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
shawty18ga wrote:Apparently these prosecutor's office internships are not too hard to get. Got accepted to one today without an interview.
+1. I've been saying this all along. Anyone still looking for a job, you should really start looking into these.
+1. Also accepted w/o interview.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:25 pm

I have an interview for a law clerk position tomorrow that pays. When people say its almost impossible to get a paying job, do they just mean one that pays like $3k a week? A lot of the firms seem to be paying the $10-15 hr. Which, is far far better than the $0/hr I was expecting to get. So, if I get this, it would be kind of sweet. I'm trying to prep for the interview though, and can't think of the questions they would ask me really.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:42 pm

traehekat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
+1. Also accepted w/o interview.

sending out apps for this over the weekend..worked on a cover letter yesterday..just out of curiousity, should these cover letters be a letter-type statement of interest? I have my basic cover letter which I edited to start out with why I am interested in the position/some bg info about an experience I went through. is this tmi or appropriate?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:13 pm

The end is near. I have an offer, and one more callback before my summer plans are locked-in. This thread has been good for my sanity as my friends have gotten offers and I was waiting to hear.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Kretzy wrote:The end is near. I have an offer, and one more callback before my summer plans are locked-in. This thread has been good for my sanity as my friends have gotten offers and I was waiting to hear.
Niiice bro

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Turning down a (crappy) job offer when you don't have a solid backup in place yet is terrifying.

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Turning down a (crappy) job offer when you don't have a solid backup in place yet is terrifying.
Yeah, I'm pretty much expecting either a DA's Office job in rural NC or a research assistant position at this point (although I don't even have that right now). I can't get firms to look at my resume much less reject me based on it. I feel like the 2L job search will be a bit easier, no one wants 1L's.

2L2011

Bronze

Post by 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:38 pm

The "real job" is what you get AFTER you graduate sooner by doing summer courses.
Borhas wrote:
2L2011 wrote:If your smart you WON'T get a job your 1L summer. Just take classes over the summer, even in your school only lets you do it part time. Stay ahead that way, get done sooner and get a real job. Heck it's an excuse to get credit to go overseas in the summer abroads. You can have fun with it too.

That being said, if it's your 2L summer and your school approves you to do your required externship that way to be more focused while out of class, then go for it. Just not during 1L.
what sort of "real" jobs can you get over the summer that would help you get a good 2L summer job (that are also part time so you can go to those summer classes)?

For some, VERY FEW, people taking classes can help... these people are those that want to take criminal practice clinics at their school ASAP. My school req's Evidence, Crim Pro, Trial Ad, and Professional Responsibility... if for whatever reason (Pre-reqs or scheduling conflicts) you can't take all these classes in your fall 2L semester, then you'll have to wait till 3L before taking one of those clinics. If you take one or two classes in the summer then you could start the clinic in your 2L spring semester.

Taking classes could be doable if you have a part time legal job. If you are a research assistant or interning with a judge you might not have to put in 40 hours a week so you could still have time to take class...

But at that point, you're probably trying too hard... on the other hand summer classes are easier, and by your 2L year you might be over the whole taking classes thing, and you might be able to load up on clinics for the rest of your law school days

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:42 pm

2L2011 wrote:The "real job" is what you get AFTER you graduate sooner by doing summer courses.
Borhas wrote:

Stop giving advice. You are either a troll or you go to some law school on Mars where there is no curve, you shouldn't work for your 1L summer and you graduate early by taking summer school. Nobody else goes to your crazy law school.

And stop writing above the quote!

2L2011

Bronze

Post by 2L2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:45 pm

No.
Kilpatrick wrote:
2L2011 wrote:The "real job" is what you get AFTER you graduate sooner by doing summer courses.
Borhas wrote:

Stop giving advice. You are either a troll or you go to some law school on Mars where there is no curve, you shouldn't work for your 1L summer and you graduate early by taking summer school. Nobody else goes to your crazy law school.

And stop writing above the quote!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:53 pm

2L2011 wrote:No.
Yes. At least considering the fact that you've been permanently banned for trolling and alting.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:18 pm

1L SA CB!!!!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 pm

beach_terror wrote:1L SA CB!!!!!!!
Grats bro.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Question to users who did CB interviews.

Ok, so my format is 3 attorneys (1 partner, 2 associates) 20-30 minutes each. The secretary told me another partner MIGHT interview me as well.

What should I expect? Would it be like...

First person: conversational, trying to see if I'm not a dumbass/socially awkward asshole.
Second person: grades/potential hypos/why I want to work for that firm.
Third person: writing sample(?)/hypos(?)
Fourth person: ???

I'd appreciate some input. I would probably kill a baby for this SA gig.

Edit:

would the firm even accept my brief as a "replacement" writing sample?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 am

nooyyllib wrote:Question to users who did CB interviews.

Ok, so my format is 3 attorneys (1 partner, 2 associates) 20-30 minutes each. The secretary told me another partner MIGHT interview me as well.

First person: conversational, trying to see if I'm not a dumbass/socially awkward asshole.

Edit:

Had one today. No one asked for my writing sample. Some people didn't even have my resume. The interviews were each with one associate and one partner, 20 mins each. Had 3 of them in 3 separate offices. Each interview was just half shooting the shit, a quarter talk about resume/firm/city, and 5 mins or so for questions.

Then did lunch with the hiring partner, the partner who was at OCI, and one associate.

I will be incredibly surprised if someone asks you a hypo. Know your resume, know why you want to work in that city, and why you want to work at that firm.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:07 am

rad law wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Question to users who did CB interviews.

Edit:

Had one today. No one asked for my writing sample. Some people didn't even have my resume. The interviews were each with one associate and one partner, 20 mins each. Had 3 of them in 3 separate offices. Each interview was just half shooting the shit, a quarter talk about resume/firm/city, and 5 mins or so for questions.

Then did lunch with the hiring partner, the partner who was at OCI, and one associate.

I will be incredibly surprised if someone asks you a hypo. Know your resume, know why you want to work in that city, and why you want to work at that firm.
I'm hoping they don't throw me a hypo also. But my friend who did one with a firm told me they asked questions regarding his writing sample and gave a hypo situation relevant to his writing sample.

Also some discretion here, the firm is interviewing me through a diversity program run by an organization strictly for my city. So they really had no say in picking me for the CB interview.

But if its just almost casually talking about the city/resume, etc I'm pretty confident I'll kill it.

Another question: I'm pretty sure they'll re-evaluate my grades, writing sample, etc before they make their decision. But to what effect do you think they look at grades? If the firm specifically had a say in this CB interview I wouldn't be asking this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:27 am

Got a CB at a mid-sized boutique in CA. HYS, middling grades and little WE so I assume there's something else they liked. Any advice? Is it all about fit at this point? They're flying me out, and they had a 100% CB/offer ratio at Fall 09 OCI, which I take as good signs but I'm still real nervous.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:40 am

Reading this thread about everyone's interviews and CBs is not good for my mental health. FML

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 am

lol, I have had a few places request additional information, but that's it. I should probably stop being so picky about where I'm applying.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:09 am

romothesavior wrote:Reading this thread about everyone's interviews and CBs is not good for my mental health. FML
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”