1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Crazy4lawzzz

New

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:30 pm

It's pretty easy getting unpaid internship...just get them during the fall/winter/spring...Summer positions are much more difficult

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't want to out myself either.

1L- Top 10% at GULC and got one prescreened LOL1LOCI interview at Bradley Arant DC. Only other bid was on Ropes & Gray DC- not selected.

Any info re: Bradley DC hiring? Are they actually taking 1Ls or is this just for show?

There are 9 interview slots in total.
They are hiring. I know a 1L that got a SA position with them in a secondary market.

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:56 pm

beach_terror wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:Didn't get in-house summer position, but more than happy to settle for PI program in my target city and a part time RA position. Should be enough to at least pay for the bar tab.

Now I just have to make sure the PI stigma doesn't follow me into OCI.
What PI program? I got dinged too, so high five bro.
Philly Legal Assistance in a specific department that won't be named here.

It's going to be an eye opening summer.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:11 am

geekrocker37 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:Didn't get in-house summer position, but more than happy to settle for PI program in my target city and a part time RA position. Should be enough to at least pay for the bar tab.

Now I just have to make sure the PI stigma doesn't follow me into OCI.
What PI program? I got dinged too, so high five bro.
Philly Legal Assistance in a specific department that won't be named here.

It's going to be an eye opening summer.
OH YEAH, PHILLY LEGAL ASSISTANCE YEAH

I'm hoping not many applied to the RA fellowship program and then I'll do Innocence Project work on the side too. Should be sufficient for the summer, I hope.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:24 pm

I had my last scheduled interview today. She just told me about the job, asked me what class I took during study abroad, and took me around to meet people in the office. She's interviewing like 10 candidates for 5 spots, and won't let us know til' April 18th. And, I still haven't heard back from the other places I've interviewed with (one of which not hearing back means you didn't get it.) I'm officially starting to panic that I'll be unemployed this summer. I don't even know where else is taking applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Had my first interview today of the 8 judicial internships im inteviewing for. Was made an offer on the spot. Given that it was my top choice, I accepted on the spot. Its a federal district court internship and it sounded really great. Had 2 state supreme court internship interviews scheduled, but one was only part time and the other said they might cancel on me if they end up hiring someone earlier in the week. Glad to be done

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:40 pm

dakatz wrote:Glad to be done
+1

I know the feeling. Awesome news.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:44 pm

dakatz wrote:Had my first interview today of the 8 judicial internships im inteviewing for. Was made an offer on the spot. Given that it was my top choice, I accepted on the spot. Its a federal district court internship and it sounded really great. Had 2 state supreme court internship interviews scheduled, but one was only part time and the other said they might cancel on me if they end up hiring someone earlier in the week. Glad to be done
congrats!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks guys

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:37 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I had my last scheduled interview today. She just told me about the job, asked me what class I took during study abroad, and took me around to meet people in the office. She's interviewing like 10 candidates for 5 spots, and won't let us know til' April 18th. And, I still haven't heard back from the other places I've interviewed with (one of which not hearing back means you didn't get it.) I'm officially starting to panic that I'll be unemployed this summer. I don't even know where else is taking applications.
Idk, 5 spots for 10 interviewers gives you better odds than anything I have ever interviewed for so I think you have a good shot. My past 2 interviews: 1 spot for 35 interviewers and 20 spots for 300 interviewers roughly (Da's office).

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:44 pm

dakatz wrote:Had my first interview today of the 8 judicial internships im inteviewing for. Was made an offer on the spot. Given that it was my top choice, I accepted on the spot. Its a federal district court internship and it sounded really great. Had 2 state supreme court internship interviews scheduled, but one was only part time and the other said they might cancel on me if they end up hiring someone earlier in the week. Glad to be done
Congrats :D. I knew you would get something great!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:48 pm

keg411 wrote:
Congrats :D. I knew you would get something great!
Thank you so much for your support throughout. Was a bit hesitant to accept on the spot, since state supreme court would obviously be amazing as well. But I think a full time position would trump any part time one, so that made the decision pretty easy. I guess I could have waited for the other state supreme court interview, but they really sold me with their description of this position. I don't think there was a wrong choice to make.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Got a great major market V15 SA position about a week ago. HYS, top 1/3(ish?), HYPS undergrad, very relevant work experience. Turned down prestigious fed gov internship, but thought the firm job was the better prize (not to mention the money).

I consider myself very lucky, sent out 7 apps and had 6 offers. I'm really glad to have callback experience now before going into OCI this summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a great major market V15 SA position about a week ago. HYS, top 1/3(ish?), HYPS undergrad, very relevant work experience. Turned down prestigious fed gov internship, but thought the firm job was the better prize (not to mention the money).

I consider myself very lucky, sent out 7 apps and had 6 offers. I'm really glad to have callback experience now before going into OCI this summer.
To the HYS students go the spoils :) congrats

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a great major market V15 SA position about a week ago. HYS, top 1/3(ish?), HYPS undergrad, very relevant work experience. Turned down prestigious fed gov internship, but thought the firm job was the better prize (not to mention the money).

Wow. ~75 apps, 1 offer and I felt lucky to get it!

Sounds well deserved, congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 pm

<-- HYS V15 person

Thanks guys! It's been a lot of work, and I'm glad it's paying off!

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Summer plans finalized 10 minutes ago.

First half: Government internship
Second half: 1L SA at a mid-law regional firm

The part I'm most excited about is the week off in between!

Good luck to all those still waiting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:23 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I had my last scheduled interview today. She just told me about the job, asked me what class I took during study abroad, and took me around to meet people in the office. She's interviewing like 10 candidates for 5 spots, and won't let us know til' April 18th. And, I still haven't heard back from the other places I've interviewed with (one of which not hearing back means you didn't get it.) I'm officially starting to panic that I'll be unemployed this summer. I don't even know where else is taking applications.
Idk, 5 spots for 10 interviewers gives you better odds than anything I have ever interviewed for so I think you have a good shot. My past 2 interviews: 1 spot for 35 interviewers and 20 spots for 300 interviewers roughly (Da's office).
I guess that's a good point. The other things I've interviewed have interviewed a lot more people. Anyway, after I posted this I got an e-mail from a place I interviewed with Friday. They told me I'd be interviewing with some director, but I couldn't tell if it was a callback for the same position, or a different position. So, i'm not sure how to prep for the interview, and it's tomorrow.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Also... what is the difference between an initial interview and a call-back? Will it be the same questions asked by someone else, different questions? I can't even think of the questions they might ask, because they asked just about everything I was expecting and more at the last one.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Also... what is the difference between an initial interview and a call-back? Will it be the same questions asked by someone else, different questions? I can't even think of the questions they might ask, because they asked just about everything I was expecting and more at the last one.

The call back is mostly for fit. On the two call backs I went on, they were very conversational. Both call backs included lunch that lasted 1.5 hours with 2-3 associates/partners + 4 rounds of half hour interviews.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:26 pm

solotee wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Also... what is the difference between an initial interview and a call-back? Will it be the same questions asked by someone else, different questions? I can't even think of the questions they might ask, because they asked just about everything I was expecting and more at the last one.

The call back is mostly for fit. On the two call backs I went on, they were very conversational. Both call backs included lunch that lasted 1.5 hours with 2-3 associates/partners + 4 rounds of half hour interviews.
Mine's a phone interview with a PI organization. A big one, mind you, but still PI. I was surprised that they were doing call backs. I interviewed with firms that said they would decide after the initial interview.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Any 2L or 3L care to comment on the utility of splitting a 1L summer? Do you think it's viewed as a negative by employers during 2L OCI? I'm wondering if they'd have the notion that someone splitting a summer spent too little time at each internship to complete substantive work.

Both are great opportunities. Both in different markets, but I really want to create ties to one of the markets. Currently have no connection to that market.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:16 pm

When you blast out resumes and get an interview, is it more similar to a callback or a screener?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 pm

TTH wrote:When you blast out resumes and get an interview, is it more similar to a callback or a screener?
All of mine were essentially callbacks. Every interview I had like that was conducted at the firm and resulted in offers without any other contact/interview. I think the resume, cover letter, and email/telephone call to setup the interview qualify as the "screener." That just anecdotal though. Could be different for others.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
TTH wrote:When you blast out resumes and get an interview, is it more similar to a callback or a screener?
All of mine were essentially callbacks. Every interview I had like that was conducted at the firm and resulted in offers without any other contact/interview. I think the resume, cover letter, and email/telephone call to setup the interview qualify as the "screener." That just anecdotal though. Could be different for others.
+1, this has been my experience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”