1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411

Platinum

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by keg411 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote: NTTAWWT :lol:
When internet acronyms go horribly wrong.

More at 7.
Someone never watched "Seinfeld"....

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote: NTTAWWT :lol:
When internet acronyms go horribly wrong.

More at 7.
Someone never watched "Seinfeld"....
Or used google.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:40 pm

I never found Seinfeld funny. I realize I'm one of the few in the world.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have a job offer at one of my top choices, and an interview at the other one. The one where I'm interviewing is totally fine with me splitting the summer if I get the job. I haven't asked the other place if they're okay with splitting the summer, but based on my prior communications, they won't care (I went in for an informational interview wearing a sports jersey and he offered me a job, unpaid of course, but still).
outed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I have a job offer at one of my top choices, and an interview at the other one. The one where I'm interviewing is totally fine with me splitting the summer if I get the job. I haven't asked the other place if they're okay with splitting the summer, but based on my prior communications, they won't care (I went in for an informational interview wearing a sports jersey and he offered me a job, unpaid of course, but still).
outed.
Shut your face. I went anonymous because you're one of two people in the school who knows this information.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:I never found Seinfeld funny. I realize I'm one of the few in the world.
Ran here.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

beach_terror wrote:I never found Seinfeld funny. I realize I'm one of the few in the world.
I'm with you. Never really understood the appeal.

BarCliff

New

Post by BarCliff » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:20 pm

For those of us without employment prospects right now, what's the best option?

Is it too late as a 1L to spam out more resumes? For firms? To judges?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:26 pm

BarCliff wrote:For those of us without employment prospects right now, what's the best option?

Is it too late as a 1L to spam out more resumes? For firms? To judges?
Spam away.

State level judges, small firms, and DA/PD offices should still be hiring, but you better get that stuff in quickly. Also, talk to your professors to see if they either know anyone who might take someone on or if they're going to need an RA over the summer.

If you have one, I'd talk to your development/alumni relations office in the law school, they often have a pretty good relationship with a lot of alums (obviously). At the very least, they can help you set up some informational interviews with people in practice areas interesting to you, which you might be able to parlay into an internship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Got another state appellate judge interview. These things are starting to pile up. Now I have 5 interviews scheduled for my spring break week.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:14 pm

dakatz wrote:Got another state appellate judge interview. These things are starting to pile up. Now I have 5 interviews scheduled for my spring break week.
I knew they would start coming! Congrats :).

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:48 pm

keg411 wrote:
dakatz wrote:Got another state appellate judge interview. These things are starting to pile up. Now I have 5 interviews scheduled for my spring break week.
I knew they would start coming! Congrats :).
Aw thank you. Now if I could only get one of those district court judges or state supreme court judges, then I could take this game up to your level :)

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 pm

got 2 interviews and a few places that I should hear back from in the upcoming week

make or break sort of week I guess...
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Borhas wrote:got 2 interviews and a few places that I should hear back from in the upcoming week

Good Luck!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Of the following 3 types of judges, which seems like it would be the smartest choice assuming I somehow end up having a choice:

--Federal magistrate judge (have interviews both in my home state where i am most likely shooting for after law school, as well as one in a very highly sough after district that is closeby in another state)

--Federal bankruptcy judge (don't have any particularly interest in bankruptcy, but I'd be interested to learn more about it and see if I like it)

--State appellate judge in my home state

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:00 pm

To those of you applying for state court internships... how did you contact the judges? Every website I've seen doesn't list a judges contact information. Should I just call the main line and say "I want a judicial internship, do any of the judges offer them?" Cuse that seems... like not the best idea.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:02 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:To those of you applying for state court internships... how did you contact the judges? Every website I've seen doesn't list a judges contact information. Should I just call the main line and say "I want a judicial internship, do any of the judges offer them?" Cuse that seems... like not the best idea.
Check with your career services office. They should have a listing of contact information for state judges, hopefully nationally, but at at the very least your state and neighboring states.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:05 pm

dakatz wrote:Of the following 3 types of judges, which seems like it would be the smartest choice assuming I somehow end up having a choice:

--Federal magistrate judge (have interviews both in my home state where i am most likely shooting for after law school, as well as one in a very highly sough after district that is closeby in another state)

--Federal bankruptcy judge (don't have any particularly interest in bankruptcy, but I'd be interested to learn more about it and see if I like it)

--State appellate judge in my home state
I'd go with the magistrate because you'd meet more people, and go to court. You'd also get more trial related experience, which is more practical than appellate work (at least for me), and because you'd get a variety of different cases.
OGR3 wrote:
Borhas wrote:got 2 interviews and a few places that I should hear back from in the upcoming week

Good Luck!
thanks man
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:10 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:To those of you applying for state court internships... how did you contact the judges? Every website I've seen doesn't list a judges contact information. Should I just call the main line and say "I want a judicial internship, do any of the judges offer them?" Cuse that seems... like not the best idea.
I just typed in the name of the court I was looking for (i.e. superior court of X, appellate division), and saw the list of judges. They had the full list including addresses, so I just did a mass mailing. I'm sure not every judge even hires interns. But I figured they can just throw the app out if they want. I wasn't going to spend the time calling every one to find out.

Oh, and judgepedia has a full list of all judges, though without any contact info. But at least you have all the names there

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:25 pm

dakatz wrote:
I just typed in the name of the court I was looking for (i.e. superior court of X, appellate division), and saw the list of judges. They had the full list including addresses, so I just did a mass mailing. I'm sure not every judge even hires interns. But I figured they can just throw the app out if they want. I wasn't going to spend the time calling every one to find out.

Oh, and judgepedia has a full list of all judges, though without any contact info. But at least you have all the names there
I found the names. But, I was looking in NY and FL, and neither state had contact info. Just a bio.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Had a firm interview (2 rounds, 2 attys. each) with the attys. in the town my school is in. The hypothetical CB would be in ATL. Weird, but I think both rounds went really well. We shall see.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:24 pm

rad law wrote:Had a firm interview (2 rounds, 2 attys. each) with the attys. in the town my school is in. The hypothetical CB would be in ATL. Weird, but I think both rounds went really well. We shall see.
If you wore Ray-Bans to the interviews then I see an SA position in your future.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 pm

OGR3 wrote:
rad law wrote:Had a firm interview (2 rounds, 2 attys. each) with the attys. in the town my school is in. The hypothetical CB would be in ATL. Weird, but I think both rounds went really well. We shall see.
If you wore Ray-Bans to the interviews then I see an SA position in your future.
Wish I would have though about that haha. This firm was fairly Southern, but the firm I CB'd with can best be described as "Good 'Ol Boy."

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:52 pm

rad law wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
Wish I would have though about that haha. This firm was fairly Southern, but the firm I CB'd with can best be described as "Good 'Ol Boy."
I want so badly to break into the GOBN

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:53 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
rad law wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
I want so badly to break into the GOBN
Stop wearing skinny jeans and hipster glasses.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”