1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 am

traehekat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
shawty18ga wrote:Apparently these prosecutor's office internships are not too hard to get. Got accepted to one today without an interview.
+1. I've been saying this all along. Anyone still looking for a job, you should really start looking into these.
+1. Also accepted w/o interview.
also got one without an interview, phone call, declined (I had something else lined up and was feeling it more at the time, plus waiting for responses from elsewhere), but now starting to regret it

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:57 am

Helmholtz wrote:
2L2011 wrote:No.
Yes. At least considering the fact that you've been permanently banned for trolling and alting.
Thank God.

Lt. Aldo Raine

New

Post by Lt. Aldo Raine » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:09 am

Kretzy wrote:The end is near. I have an offer, and one more callback before my summer plans are locked-in. This thread has been good for my sanity as my friends have gotten offers and I was waiting to hear.
U happy, bro?

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:40 am

goosey wrote:
traehekat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
shawty18ga wrote:Apparently these prosecutor's office internships are not too hard to get. Got accepted to one today without an interview.
+1. I've been saying this all along. Anyone still looking for a job, you should really start looking into these.
+1. Also accepted w/o interview.

sending out apps for this over the weekend..worked on a cover letter yesterday..just out of curiousity, should these cover letters be a letter-type statement of interest? I have my basic cover letter which I edited to start out with why I am interested in the position/some bg info about an experience I went through. is this tmi or appropriate?
isnt the deadline up?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:01 am

Looks like lots more of the elusive 1L SA gigs are happening a lot more often this year, or at least at my school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:00 am

phonepro wrote:
sending out apps for this over the weekend..worked on a cover letter yesterday..just out of curiousity, should these cover letters be a letter-type statement of interest? I have my basic cover letter which I edited to start out with why I am interested in the position/some bg info about an experience I went through. is this tmi or appropriate?
isnt the deadline up?[/quote]

no, not all...

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:46 am

When a government position states that it's "Paid and Unpaid," at what point do you find out whether or not they're planning to pay you?

Is it appropriate to indicate that you're interested in one, but not the other in your application?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:00 am

DeSimone wrote:When a government position states that it's "Paid and Unpaid," at what point do you find out whether or not they're planning to pay you?

Is it appropriate to indicate that you're interested in one, but not the other in your application?
Typically when I've seen that, it has meant they're paying 2Ls but not 1Ls. And I wouldn't bring it up in your application.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got a CB at a mid-sized boutique in CA. HYS, middling grades and little WE so I assume there's something else they liked. Any advice? Is it all about fit at this point? They're flying me out, and they had a 100% CB/offer ratio at Fall 09 OCI, which I take as good signs but I'm still real nervous.
I know what they liked. You go to HYS herp derp

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:04 am

Any word yet Rad?

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:09 am

I'm thinking about trying for a RA position. To those of y'all who have approached professors about being a RA, how many of y'all asked via email? What should I include in my email to professors?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:13 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Any word yet Rad?
Nope. They said "we'll be in touch with you soon." Whatever that means lulz

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:24 am

How much do government agencies usually pay? Enough to cover the costs of living in DC?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:29 am

beach_terror wrote:1L SA CB!!!!!!!
Congrats :D. Also, congrats to Kretzy on the offer, and rad, I'm glad your CB went well.

I'm still kicking myself for not trying to apply to firms. On the plus side, I went to a "speed networking" event last night and got good feedback from the attorneys on the summer job I did accepted (I didn't end up sitting in the right row though; only talked to one person who was even close to desired practice area; apparently there were a lot more in another row... I just sat in the wrong place).

Also, mock interview on Monday and my first exposure to OCI-esque screening interviews. I love the firm, though, so I'm hoping I can turn it into something if I can get them to like me. I need some good: "so what can I tell you about the firm?" questions? (Also, I left my Guerilla Tactics book at home so I can't use that for suggestions :( ).

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:35 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:I'm thinking about trying for a RA position. To those of y'all who have approached professors about being a RA, how many of y'all asked via email? What should I include in my email to professors?
I'm definitely not an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt, but when I asked my professors I talked to them in person. I think chatting with them for a little while about why you want to RA for them is a good way to assure them that you actually are interested in working with them and that they aren't just a backup plan. If anything it may help differentiate you from 8-10 other people who are applying for the job.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Rad, have you already gone on your SA CBs? I'm trying to anticipate some questions/situations that'll arise.

To those going on firm interviews, I highly recommend this:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:15 pm

I looked at it in the CSO office for a bit, the thing is the size of a fucking treatise though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Got my first offer! Small firm (~15 attorneys), but it's paid. Still have a couple of callbacks pending, so I might try to split the summer. The small firm will take me for the whole summer if I want, or they will also split a summer. The larger firms that I have callbacks with also will split the summer. Is it worth splitting just to get a bit more money from the bigger firms even if I don't really care to work with them (pay would be about double the small firm)?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:54 pm

i've had several interviews within the last week, and it's been radio silence ever since....mostly government jobs, some stuff like legal aid society. i bet rejections take a long time, ugh.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:10 pm

beach_terror wrote:Rad, have you already gone on your SA CBs? I'm trying to anticipate some questions/situations that'll arise.

This book is pretty good. I also recommend "Swimming Lessons for Baby Sharks." Gives you a good idea about questions to ask re: training and opportunities for young associates. Almost EVERY question I've asked at my firm callbacks have come directly from questions this book encouraged me to ask, and I've gotten lots of compliments on my questions.

Main question themes on my 1L callbacks have been:
- How's [insert school]
- Why us? Which practice areas of ours would you like to experience this summer (since 1Ls get so much more flexibility than 2Ls, generally)? Litigation or Corporate or both?
- Why a firm for 1L summer? (often followed up by a suggestion to split 2L summer between a firm and public interest; many liked when I had a specific reason why I wasn't doing a particular public interest org until 2d summer)
- Why [insert city]? Do you want to build a career here, or just come here this summer?

Almost every question I've gotten fits within these categories. I now have stock answers for each that seem more off-the-cuff than they are.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Kretzy wrote:
This book is pretty good. I also recommend "Swimming Lessons for Baby Sharks." Gives you a good idea about questions to ask re: training and opportunities for young associates. Almost EVERY question I've asked at my firm callbacks have come directly from questions this book encouraged me to ask, and I've gotten lots of compliments on my questions.

- How's [insert school]
- Why us? Which practice areas of ours would you like to experience this summer (since 1Ls get so much more flexibility than 2Ls, generally)? Litigation or Corporate or both?
- Why a firm for 1L summer? (often followed up by a suggestion to split 2L summer between a firm and public interest; many liked when I had a specific reason why I wasn't doing a particular public interest org until 2d summer)
- Why [insert city]? Do you want to build a career here, or just come here this summer?

Almost every question I've gotten fits within these categories. I now have stock answers for each that seem more off-the-cuff than they are.
Well, I'm from the area the firm is in and go to school pretty much down the street from them. They're also a pretty prestigious boutique specialty firm, so I have a good answer as to why I want to work in their specific area. I plan on using my lifelong geographic tie to my advantage as much as possible, as I have no desire to ever leave the area.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Kretzy wrote:

- How's [insert school]

Well, I'm from the area the firm is in and go to school pretty much down the street from them. They're also a pretty prestigious boutique specialty firm, so I have a good answer as to why I want to work in their specific area. I plan on using my lifelong geographic tie to my advantage as much as possible, as I have no desire to ever leave the area. Ugh, we'll see. A mix of nervous and excited, I want to kill this. I already interview well, but I need to find ways to improve.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Kretzy wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Rad, have you already gone on your SA CBs? I'm trying to anticipate some questions/situations that'll arise.

- How's [insert school]

Yeah bro, this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Kretzy wrote:

- How's [insert school]

I've had a few biglaw callbacks so far with some more scheduled for this month- definitely be ready for these basic questions people have posted. Also, be aware of what's on your resume because if something catches their eye (e.g article/talent/interest/thesis) and they are interested in the subject area, they might grill you on it. This happened to me in at least 3 interviews during a callback in one day (my advice: even if you wrote it a long time ago, either check the news/give yourself an update on what you wrote about so you can talk about it or take it off your resume).

Also, it is SO important to remember everyone's names throughout the day. Even if they say they will give you a sheet at the end of the day with everyone's names, your interviewers throughout the day will probably ask 'So who have you met with today?' (all of mine did in a day long interview) They expect you to know the answer, especially when you meet with the hiring partners - so pay attention, request business cards or ask the person chaperoning you around to all of the callback interviews to remind you of the last person's name. Of course this would be easier in morning-only interviews or where they've given you a set list.

The only other questions I'd say be ready for are along the lines of 'So where else are you interviewing?' 'Are you meeting with other firms in [this city]?' I have a feeling this generally only happens when they doubt you're actually interested in their firm because of really high grades that they seem to think make you a lock for better jobs elsewhere / lack of ties to the area / etc. I wasn't quite sure how to respond because I didn't want to show my hand or lie.. so I just skirted the question and focused on my interest in that firm. I'm not sure what other course of action would be better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”