1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tangerine Gleam

Silver

1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Writing cover letters should pale in comparison to studying for exams and writing memos, but I just can't get myself motivated enough to do this shit. Come here to complain, encourage, etc...

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:48 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:50 pm

I totally hated job hunt more than schoolwork itself last year so I'm sympathetic.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:51 pm

This feels like "Why X" essays all over again. Also, confused as to how to tie in my past work experience when, although diverse and interesting, it is completely unrelated to the law.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:59 pm

My cover letters are done, but I feel like they're just going to result in a lot of silence. Especially since I don't have my LAWR grade and I need to get that before I can send my memo as a writing sample. And if that's not good, it's going to be even more difficult to get a job for the summer :(.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:01 pm

How many jobz are y'all applying for?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:01 pm

keg411 wrote:My cover letters are done, but I feel like they're just going to result in a lot of silence. Especially since I don't have my LAWR grade and I need to get that before I can send my memo as a writing sample. And if that's not good, it's going to be even more difficult to get a job for the summer :(.
Eh, I have my LRW grade and there's still lots of silence. 20 firm diversity apps, 12 firms in my home market, and a smattering of public interest things. Here's hoping something bites.

And yes, this is a lame way to spend a break.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Kretzy wrote:
keg411 wrote:My cover letters are done, but I feel like they're just going to result in a lot of silence. Especially since I don't have my LAWR grade and I need to get that before I can send my memo as a writing sample. And if that's not good, it's going to be even more difficult to get a job for the summer :(.
Eh, I have my LRW grade and there's still lots of silence. 20 firm diversity apps, 12 firms in my home market, and a smattering of public interest things. Here's hoping something bites.

I'm applying to state trial court judicial internships, not firms, so my legal writing grade and writing sample are both going to be really important. I also signed up for PIPS (the Philly public interest fair), but I have to figure out how the bid system works.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:16 pm

keg411 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

I'm applying to state trial court judicial internships, not firms, so my legal writing grade and writing sample are both going to be really important. I also signed up for PIPS (the Philly public interest fair), but I have to figure out how the bid system works.
Where did you sign up for that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Do you have a previous writing sample you can use? CSO told me to do this, and I had to make some edits to a previous assignment (practice memo) that was for a completion grade. At least I didn't have to edit it to be under 10 pages long though, which I would have done if I had used my final memo.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Resume and public interest cover letters are done. I've applied for about 9 public interest gigs, and a diversity internship. I'm also signed up for two volunteering gigs to start in January and the Midwest Public Interest Conference. Slowly but surely moving along I guess. I did nothing today but sleep for 13 hours. That's all I want to do. I'm going to apply for some government 1L postings, ACC and check out Simplicity; however like PP I don't have a whole lot of "law related" stuff on my resume, but all the stuff I covered for journalism helps I suppose. And, no grades yet. Gah, this sucks.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:35 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Do you have a previous writing sample you can use? CSO told me to do this, and I had to make some edits to a previous assignment (practice memo) that was for a completion grade. At least I didn't have to edit it to be under 10 pages long though, which I would have done if I had used my final memo.
I have my first memo, but I'd need to revise it and still have it reviewed by my prof before I send it out. I don't like to send imperfect writing and I used WAY too much passive voice on my first memo for it to be acceptable. I mean, I could revise it and send it out on my own, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.
Last edited by keg411 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:38 pm

beach_terror wrote:Where did you sign up for that?
It's through some simplicity thing that our CSO sent us. You can register through here (you have to register separately from your simplicity account):
https://law-gpals-csm.symplicity.com/students/

I'm surprised you guys didn't get anything because for us bidding closes on January 3rd.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:47 pm

i have a deadline tomorrow and havent even started the app. must work now.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:50 pm

We did, I just ignored it lol. I tend to ignore emails from the CSO

Huge thanks for the heads up though, signing up now. Who are you bidding on?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:03 pm

beach_terror wrote:We did, I just ignored it lol. I tend to ignore emails from the CSO

Not sure yet... haven't had a chance to go through everything. But probably the AG's office at least and then a bunch of the resume collections.

ETA: Also the USAO in Camden, but I'm worried my grades won't be good enough.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm so glad you started this thread, Gleam. I need some encouragement - feeling totally slothful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:35 pm

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:We did, I just ignored it lol. I tend to ignore emails from the CSO

Not sure yet... haven't had a chance to go through everything. But probably the AG's office at least and then a bunch of the resume collections.

Is bidding basically just ranking them 1-10?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:How many jobz are y'all applying for?
Just applied to 10 firms in my hometown and the USAO here. None of these were truly cold resumes, as I sent them to people me or people in my fam knew. Hopefully networking pays off somewhat.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Checking in. I have done almost nothing.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Is bidding basically just ranking them 1-10?
Not sure how it works, but I think so. I'm going to ask my sister when she gets home how it works since she's used this type of program for OCI stuff when she was in lawl school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:14 pm

I've applied to about fifteen firms in my home market the first week of December. I've gotten a few interviews, two rejections (even though they said they might be interested next year when I'm a 2L), and a lot of silence.

I haven't applied to a single PI job yet, although that's what I should do tonight... probably USAO and a few state judges...

What kind of PI jobs have deadlines coming up fast?

Also, if you haven't heard from a firm, do you think it is tacky to send a hard copy resume and cover letter? (I sent the original round all digitally.)

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:27 pm

oh good, a thread to guilt me into working. i've applied to 20ish firms and one gov't job. :( i hate this

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:34 pm

are you all cold mailing these firms or did you find them through connections, symplicity, other research etc.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Well, I've applied to zero jobs total at this point. :| However, I'm planning on applying for a bunch of gov't litigation jobs (USAO, state AG, city attorney) and some firms for the hell of it.

Is the consensus that firm cover letters should be quite brief and that public sector cover letters should go into somewhat greater detail about why I am interested in the particular position? The "sample" cover letters on my school's CDO site are pretty sparse.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”