1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
YourCaptain

Silver

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by YourCaptain » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:Welp, one more job application out. Edging closer and closer to unemployment for this summer. AWESOME. I guess top 25% at a T2 after first semester makes me unemployable. What the fuck.
How are your classmates doing?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:00 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Welp, one more job application out. Edging closer and closer to unemployment for this summer. AWESOME. I guess top 25% at a T2 after first semester makes me unemployable. What the fuck.
One with a worse GPA than me got a biglaw SA through diversity stuff. One has an RA gig. Other than that, I don't know what people are doing. I don't think it's my rank that's making me unemployable, I probably should have applied to more places than I can count on both hands.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
One with a worse GPA than me got a biglaw SA through diversity stuff. One has an RA gig. Other than that, I don't know what people are doing. I don't think it's my rank that's making me unemployable, I probably should have applied to more places than I can count on both hands.
So you applied to only 10 places?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:08 pm

beach_terror wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
I hate to be Hindsight Man here, but yeah man.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:15 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
So you applied to only 10 places?
10-20 I'd say. I only apply to shit I have a reasonable shot at getting. The firm interviewing process kind of screwed me for judicial internships, but it's fine. I'll get something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:22 pm

I hate to do this, but you can't just apply to stuff that you think you have a reasonable shot at. You have no clue what you have a shot at; you'll get acceptances you should not have gotten and rejections that you should have slamdunked.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:16 pm

I got an internship offer this week, to my surprise.

Me: 1L at a T14 (not HYS) with a below-median GPA, although when I sent out letters in December I didn't have grades yet (but UGPA was a respectable 3.6x).

The only summer jobs I sought out back in December were federal judicial internships in three different districts that are back home and in secondary markets. I wrote to active judges and active senior judges, but not magistrate judges. I applied to 16 judges total. I heard back from most of them pretty early. Some weren't taking summer interns, some were but had exclusive internship programs with the local law schools and I was ineligible (my law school is in a different part of the country). I was able to set up interviews with two federal judges over winter break. One went a bit poorly (I did things like say circuit court when I meant to say district court and asked some other dumb questions), while the other one went better (at least it felt that way), but I got a rejection letter from that judge a couple of weeks later. I'm sure it didn't help that my resume had a typo on it (wrong graduation year from undergrad -- I wrote 2010 by accident). One judge wrote me a letter saying that s/he didn't deal with internships until spring but that s/he'd contact me then if s/he was interested.

A few months went by and my job hunt was generally crappy. I put out bids for a public interest career fair in January or February, but I only landed one of my ten bids for an interview, which was supposed to be for something with the Small Business Administration, but leading up to the scheduled interview I got sick and mostly lost my voice and was in no condition to interview, so I withdrew from it. In March, I applied to an internship program to possibly intern for state-level judges in my home state, a process that only involved sending in a resume and the application (they don't interview for it), but I never heard back. Other than that, I hadn't applied for anything but was getting ready to apply to a bunch of R.A. gigs.

But, last week I got an e-mail from the judge who didn't deal with interns until spring. I'd figured that federal judicial internships were a lost cause until I got the e-mail. S/he wanted to set up a phone interview, which I had at some point this week. It was a conference call with the judge and his/her clerks. I wasn't really looking forward to the interview since I had never had a phone interview before and I figured that I'd screw it up somehow. But at the end of the interview, the judge made me an offer! I accepted and I'll be working back home this summer, at the closest federal courthouse to my hometown! I'm definitely excited and thrilled that I got this.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who goes to the same law school I do and has about the same grades. He didn't even start looking for jobs until about two weeks ago, when he sent out a ton of applications. This week he got two offers, one of which is an internship at his home state's AG's office (his state is around the middle of the pack in terms of population, and doesn't contain any primary markets). So there are definitely jobs to be found. Good luck to those of you still searching!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:53 pm

mistergoft wrote:
YourCaptain wrote: rejections that you should have slamdunked.
Not sure about the first part, but this is definitely true, especially during OCI.
I didn't even expect an interview from the place I'm going to be this summer. First part is possible.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
YourCaptain wrote: rejections that you should have slamdunked.
Not sure about the first part, but this is definitely true, especially during OCI.
I didn't even expect an interview from the place I'm going to be this summer. First part is possible.
Yeah, even the fact that some people are horrible at their jobs while others are great at their jobs shows that hiring managers/etc often wind up making regrettable hiring choices. There's only so much you can gather from an interview/resume/application, etc. While these tools are good at weeding some obvious poor choices out, it's certainly no guarantee of hiring a good employee.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Checking in. Down to two applications still active. No jerb yet. t25% at a T1. fmllol

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:55 pm

TTH wrote:Checking in. Down to two applications still active. No jerb yet. t25% at a T1. fmllol
# of apps?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:57 pm

This is the encouragement and apathy thread, not a critique of job search methodology.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:This is the encouragement and apathy thread, not a critique of job search methodology.
Look friend I'm not critiquing methodology, all I'm saying is PUMP THOSE APPS OUT. Look man I know your pain I was there.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Got a job! But, I'm kind of concerned. It's with my school's office of government relations, but, they were so excited that i had a press background, that I think they want me doing all press stuff, and no legal stuff. At the same time, with only two weeks before finals, do I really want to be applying for more jobs? I need to figure it out by Thurs.

I e-mailed the one job that i really want doing IP. And I have an interview on Wens. I'm not sure if I should go to it or not. Also, I'm waiting to hear back from a trial court. Should I try e-mailing them, or assume its almost as bad of a job as this one. On the bright side, all my friends are going to be around this summer, since I'm paying rent anyway I may as well stay. Home is absurdly boring and the court is at home.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Will being an RA for this summer be bad for OCI if I also have an internship with a regulatory agency (both are part time deals)? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the whole discussion about employers not liking RAs is kind of scaring me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:37 pm

forty-two wrote:Will being an RA for this summer be bad for OCI if I also have an internship with a regulatory agency (both are part time deals)? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the whole discussion about employers not liking RAs is kind of scaring me.
No.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:47 pm

forty-two wrote:Will being an RA for this summer be bad for OCI if I also have an internship with a regulatory agency (both are part time deals)? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the whole discussion about employers not liking RAs is kind of scaring me.
Employers don't care what you do 1L summer, as long as it's legal. I know people who RAd with great GPAs and are headed to v10s.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:03 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
Employers don't care what you do 1L summer, as long as it's legal. I know people who RAd with great GPAs and are headed to v10s.
+1,000,000,000,000,000

We keep saying this over and over...
people that do nothing are at a disadvantage...RA is better than nothing...RA + something else is better than RA

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 pm

still crickets chriping.

had an interview w a state judge thats an alum of my school and hes all about hiring a student from my school and liked me a lot..said ill hear back by friday. I have a good feeling about it.

still waiting on some other places. One place told me theyre still interviewing and I will hear back soon after I sent a follow up today.

frustrating.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:08 pm

How bad is doing nothing? I am waiting to hear back from two places that showed serious interest. If I don't get either of those, I probably won't be able to look again until after exams. It is too close to the end of classes for me to be focusing on summer job shit.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 pm

anyone know if employers during 2L OCI care that a 2L with no contacts worked in their city during 1L summer?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Also, as a random rant. This one girl, dumb, bitchy, just got a job with the Attorney General. I don't even get it. I know my grades are better than hers. I'm fairly sure shes at or below median. I figured AG's cared a lot about grades. Also, she has no connections to the area. Just moved here for law school. I have a ton of connections to the state. I mean, seriously.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:26 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Also, as a random rant. This one girl, dumb, bitchy, just got a job with the Attorney General. I don't even get it. I know my grades are better than hers. I'm fairly sure shes at or below median. I figured AG's cared a lot about grades. Also, she has no connections to the area. Just moved here for law school. I have a ton of connections to the state. I mean, seriously.
hiring seems arbitrary to a point

but maybe she rocked the interview?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”