1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JazzOne

Gold

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by JazzOne » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:55 pm

DeSimone wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
DeSimone wrote:How long's a typical wait after a screening interview?

Do callbacks mostly take place during spring break or do they involve missing class?
you'll know about a callback typically within a day or so, and the callback takes place within a week or two.
Thanks.

What is a typical callback/offer ratio (if there is one)?
Callback ratio is tough for me to estimate because they do so many screening interviews. But they probably call back 10 applicants for every offer they intend to make. Statistically, the chances of receiving a 1L offer after a callback are probably 10% or worse. Of course, you can influence those odds significantly through your interview and grades.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:07 pm

I am currently playing phone tag with the local DA's office. Wonderful.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

1LOLOLOLOCI pwnd. Good grades at a T20 and not a single interview.

FML

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:1LOLOLOLOCI pwnd. Good grades at a T20 and not a single interview.

FML
Wow I'm sorry.

It's OK, at this rate, I might be working at Subway this summer.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Just finished my 1L OCI interview for the boutique firm. It went well, I kept the interviewer engaged, and gave a good answer as to why I wanted to work in that particular area. I feel happy about it, and I think she she sensed my sincereness. They only interviewed 7 of us, so that's promising too. Here's to hoping.

Oh, the admissions scandal isn't going to affect their hiring our students. We talked a bit about it in the beginning, and the interviewer said they feel for the students and don't think it's going to end up being as big of a deal as the world is making it out to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:40 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
romothesavior wrote:1LOLOLOLOCI pwnd. Good grades at a T20 and not a single interview.

FML
Wow I'm sorry.

I'm sure I'll be fine and get a 1L job. I wasn't planning on getting a job from 1L OCI and I certainly wasn't planning on getting a paying job. I know how the market works. But with that said, I'm pretty upset at not even getting a single interview. That kinda stings, especially when people with worse grades and no ties are getting them.

Oh law school. I hate you so.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:15 pm

rejected from minority judicial internship..knew it was coming. the interviewer ate me alive.

need. summer work.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Had 5 OCI interviews Mon and Tues. Firms were all in an area to which I did not have ties, except for I had visited once for 2 days. Ran the gamut from just great where everything seemed to click, and just awful, where the dude plainly didn't give a shit (probably bc I was not from the area).

Already got a CB though, which is cool.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:15 pm

rad law wrote:Had 5 OCI interviews Mon and Tues. Firms were all in an area to which I did not have ties, except for I had visited once for 2 days. Ran the gamut from just great where everything seemed to click, and just awful, where the dude plainly didn't give a shit (probably bc I was not from the area).

Grats man, I'll literally shit my pants if I get a CB from the firm I just interviewed with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:33 pm

rad law wrote:Had 5 OCI interviews Mon and Tues. Firms were all in an area to which I did not have ties, except for I had visited once for 2 days. Ran the gamut from just great where everything seemed to click, and just awful, where the dude plainly didn't give a shit (probably bc I was not from the area).

Congrats on the CB.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 pm

70 firm applications in home market supplemented with some pretty good grades to back up my app but not a single interview out of it. Thats a shame. Still bummed that out of 150 judicial internship apps that not a single district court judge has called me back. In March, I have a magistrate judge interview and a state appellate judge interview. If those don't pan out, what exactly am I supposed to do at that point?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:09 pm

dakatz wrote:70 firm applications in home market supplemented with some pretty good grades to back up my app but not a single interview out of it. Thats a shame. Still bummed that out of 150 judicial internship apps that not a single district court judge has called me back. In March, I have a magistrate judge interview and a state appellate judge interview. If those don't pan out, what exactly am I supposed to do at that point?

are you for real?

wow. I am in trouble.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:19 pm

goosey wrote:
dakatz wrote:70 firm applications in home market supplemented with some pretty good grades to back up my app but not a single interview out of it. Thats a shame. Still bummed that out of 150 judicial internship apps that not a single district court judge has called me back. In March, I have a magistrate judge interview and a state appellate judge interview. If those don't pan out, what exactly am I supposed to do at that point?

are you for real?

wow. I am in trouble.
Well I should qualify things a bit. I applied to the 70 firms in late January after grades came out. So in no way did I even try and do the whole "in by December 1st thing". So just by virtue of that, almost every firm has their summer hiring all set. As for the judges, my first batch of 100, my writing sample had a pretty terrible typo that I completely overlooked (i.e. I forgot to delete an entire phrase from a sentence I was editing. Yes, I am an idiot.) Got 2 callbacks once grades went out, but I figured I would get more seeing as my grades are relatively good. I don't have work experience aside from internships during school and the tutoring business I started during my year after undergrad. But I figured all my writing-based extracurricular activities would be looked at positively by judges. So now I am really fearful because, if neither of the 2 interviews pan out, I'm left with nothing in late March and no other apps pending anywhere. What scares me even more is that I'm starting to fear that OCI will be the same. This 1L job search seems like it is anything but merit-based, and I'm starting to fear that my grades will be equally irrelevant come OCI, as absurd as that sounds.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:25 pm

dakatz wrote:This 1L job search seems like it is anything but merit-based, and I'm starting to fear that my grades will be equally irrelevant come OCI, as absurd as that sounds.
I think you have to remember that there are far less positions available for first year law students than second year. I don't think you can take first year employment searches (especially if you are focusing on getting an SA) as indicative of what second year searches will be like, especially if you have solid grades.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 pm

traehekat wrote:
dakatz wrote:This 1L job search seems like it is anything but merit-based, and I'm starting to fear that my grades will be equally irrelevant come OCI, as absurd as that sounds.
I think you have to remember that there are far less positions available for first year law students than second year. I don't think you can take first year employment searches (especially if you are focusing on getting an SA) as indicative of what second year searches will be like, especially if you have solid grades.
Thats definitely what I am hoping: that employers see 1L hiring as somewhat irrelevant and unimportant and that they don't put as much scrutiny into it. Whereas OCI hiring and the whole formal process this summer is the complete opposite in that grades get you in the door, and then you have the opportunity to play up your experience, personality, skills, etc.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:29 pm

only one interview so far... and due to budget cuts they switched it from a live one to one over the phone... kind of lame

traehekat wrote:
hopefully, cause my solid grades have gotten me anything yet... starting to regret not applying to judicial internships... well not really I still think I wouldn't like working for a judge.

rad law indeed... congrats
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 pm

dakatz, I'm still getting calls from trial judges from my late December mailing. At this point you can try those. I'm sorry that it's not working out for you on the judges end :(. But there are definitely still openings.

Rad - congrats on the CB!

romo - how did people with worse grades and no ties get LOLCI interviews? Was it lottery?

Also: I kind of regret not trying to apply to firms. And I try to keep those regrets as far out of my mind as possible. Mostly because I'm already terrified for this summer/fall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:02 pm

keg411 wrote:dakatz, I'm still getting calls from trial judges from my late December mailing. At this point you can try those. I'm sorry that it's not working out for you on the judges end :(. But there are definitely still openings.

Rad - congrats on the CB!

romo - how did people with worse grades and no ties get LOLCI interviews? Was it lottery?

Also: I kind of regret not trying to apply to firms. And I try to keep those regrets as far out of my mind as possible. Mostly because I'm already terrified for this summer/fall.
You are probably right that most of the NJ judges want NJ kids who went to NJ schools. I'm almost certain that they see me as a traitor at this point regardless of what I say. You are def in the better position since you absolutely killed it your first semester, plus you get the loyalty points for staying close to home. I'll bet thats playing a part of why I'm having such a hard time. But yeah, I hold out hope for more calls in the next month or so before spring break.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

FML
Wow I'm sorry.

I'm sure I'll be fine and get a 1L job. I wasn't planning on getting a job from 1L OCI and I certainly wasn't planning on getting a paying job. I know how the market works. But with that said, I'm pretty upset at not even getting a single interview. That kinda stings, especially when people with worse grades and no ties are getting them.

Oh law school. I hate you so.

You sure you don't have any resume issues or anything like that?

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Officially hate phone interviews. Potentially the most awkward invention ever.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:36 pm

dakatz wrote:You are probably right that most of the NJ judges want NJ kids who went to NJ schools. I'm almost certain that they see me as a traitor at this point regardless of what I say. You are def in the better position since you absolutely killed it your first semester, plus you get the loyalty points for staying close to home. I'll bet thats playing a part of why I'm having such a hard time. But yeah, I hold out hope for more calls in the next month or so before spring break.
If I were you, I'd go through the list of trial level judges and find ones that didn't go to NJ schools and apply to them. There may be less loyalty issues. Also, like romo suggested, try prosecutor's offices -- especially Essex County. They have a HUGE summer program and like to take people from more prestigious schools for 1L year because they don't get a lot of apps from anywhere but Rutgers-Newark and Seton Hall and random TTT's.

I think things will come through for you in NJ, though. You did really well at a great school that has a good reputation here. And there are plenty of employers still hiring.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:39 pm

So when you get a job will you finally stop guilting me?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:40 pm

keg411 wrote:
dakatz wrote:You are probably right that most of the NJ judges want NJ kids who went to NJ schools. I'm almost certain that they see me as a traitor at this point regardless of what I say. You are def in the better position since you absolutely killed it your first semester, plus you get the loyalty points for staying close to home. I'll bet thats playing a part of why I'm having such a hard time. But yeah, I hold out hope for more calls in the next month or so before spring break.
If I were you, I'd go through the list of trial level judges and find ones that didn't go to NJ schools and apply to them. There may be less loyalty issues. Also, like romo suggested, try prosecutor's offices -- especially Essex County. They have a HUGE summer program and like to take people from more prestigious schools for 1L year because they don't get a lot of apps from anywhere but Rutgers-Newark and Seton Hall and random TTT's.

I think things will come through for you in NJ, though. You did really well at a great school that has a good reputation here. And there are plenty of employers still hiring.
I think I might try for some prosecutor's office jobs. Given that I'm shooting to work in a larger NJ/NY firm next summer (perhaps doing something like employment law and litigation) would working in a prosecutor's office be odd come OCI time? Anyone with any insight on that?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

You got bigtex, no? I will always guilt you haha

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:54 pm

rad law wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

You got bigtex, no? I will always guilt you haha
Haha.

I'm calling it. You've got this job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”