1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
phonepro

Bronze

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:50 pm

sending out 54 judge apps and 35 firms today. hoping that this will allow me to finally focus on school and actually read for class. i've been unable to do anything but look up jobs since the semester started.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:02 pm

phonepro wrote:sending out 54 judge apps and 35 firms today. hoping that this will allow me to finally focus on school and actually read for class. i've been unable to do anything but look up jobs since the semester started.
I just assume its entirely late for judges, but I am gonna call the chambers on Thursday and see if the clerks can give me info on whether everyone is hired or not.

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:12 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
phonepro wrote:sending out 54 judge apps and 35 firms today. hoping that this will allow me to finally focus on school and actually read for class. i've been unable to do anything but look up jobs since the semester started.
I just assume its entirely late for judges, but I am gonna call the chambers on Thursday and see if the clerks can give me info on whether everyone is hired or not.
I don't think its too late. There are several judicial internships posted on symplicity @ my school. I'd say most of the federal judges have already done their hiring, but not state judges. Although, there is still two federal judges on symplicity that are accepting apps through February 1st. I'd still try, what do you have to lose?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:25 pm

turning down a judicial internship interview tomorrow...

not sure if that's the brightest move ITE... :|

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:46 pm

f0bolous wrote:turning down a judicial internship interview tomorrow...

may i ask why? is it a state or federal judge?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:50 pm

phonepro wrote:

federal district judge, but it's not in TX and apparently I need to demonstrate stronger ties to the state

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Wow, good luck on all your others apps then, you must have some seriously good options. I would take a district judge in a heartbeat.

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:05 pm

f0bolous wrote:
phonepro wrote:

federal district judge, but it's not in TX and apparently I need to demonstrate stronger ties to the state
Why did you apply if its not in the state where you live? I wouldn't move either no matter how good the opportunity was so I don't blame you. But that is quite the prestigious internship you are turning down.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:06 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Wow, good luck on all your others apps then, you must have some seriously good options. I would take a district judge in a heartbeat.
hah not at all...hence the :| , but I'm just not sure if the benefits outweigh the costs down the road. i wish someone could give advice, but i think my current situation is too unique

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:08 pm

phonepro wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
phonepro wrote:

Why did you apply if its not in the state where you live? I wouldn't move either no matter how good the opportunity was so I don't blame you. But that is quite the prestigious internship you are turning down.
I haven't declined the interview yet, but I have to respond to them by tomorrow. The court is in my hometown, and technically I could live with my parents, but some recent advice given by a biglaw partner here indicated that I needed to distance myself from my hometown

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:29 pm

f0bolous wrote:
I haven't declined the interview yet, but I have to respond to them by tomorrow. The court is in my hometown, and technically I could live with my parents, but some recent advice given by a biglaw partner here indicated that I needed to distance myself from my hometown
What are you doing the other part of the summer or is internship for the whole summer? If it's only for half a summer, assuming you get offered the spot, you can try to get something here in Texas for the other half of the summer, whether it's another judicial internship or something PI, etc.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
What are you doing the other part of the summer or is internship for the whole summer? If it's only for half a summer, assuming you get offered the spot, you can try to get something here in Texas for the other half of the summer, whether it's another judicial internship or something PI, etc.
TCR. I think you are putting too much stock in the opinion of one biglaw partner. Maybe try to split summers if you can.

anonis

New

Post by anonis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 pm

So I definitely need some advice. I thought I would do pretty well but just got my grades back and apparently I bombed. I'm officially below median by about .1 :(

I also haven't started looking for jobs because I felt a lot more confident on my exams and was expecting top third at least.. so I don't really know where to start looking.. what should I do? will I even have a chance at working for a judge?

How screwed am I?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 pm

How do you guys handle names that could go one way or the other (male or female)?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:How do you guys handle names that could go one way or the other (male or female)?
Had one of these. Ended up googling her name, found her on linkedin, saw that she was a member of a sorority. Boom.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:How do you guys handle names that could go one way or the other (male or female)?
I googled a ADA with a neutral name for like 20 mins. Couldn't find any article which would reference gender and couldn't find anything on her profile but then saw a small "photos" section on DA's website and there she was. This sounds stalkerish but I tried everything.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:00 am

If all else fails, call someone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 am

Fed judge interview today was incredibly intimidating. I felt way TTT.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 am

rad law wrote:
Yeah, see this is a weird case because I am emailing the recruitment manager (likely a secretary or paralegal) and making the cover letter out to an actual attorney. I am almost positive that this recruitment manager isn't a lawyer because they aren't in the lawyer database for the firm. I would feel weird calling this person, being like "Hey what's up, just wanted your gender so I could properly address you in an email even though none of my materials are addressed to you."

But I think if it is a paralegal/secretary type, it is almost definitely a woman right? (Not trying to be sexist, that just seems to be the case.) I am just going to go with it.
Last edited by romothesavior on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 am

Still waiting on a grade, and it might be a while. Has anybody sent to a prospective employer an incomplete transcript with a note of explanation?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:
Yeah, see this is a weird case because I am emailing the recruitment manager (likely a secretary or paralegal) and making the cover letter out to an actual attorney. I am almost positive that this recruitment manager isn't a lawyer because they aren't in the lawyer database for the firm. I would feel weird calling this person, being like "Hey what's up, just wanted your gender so I could properly address you in an email even though none of my materials are addressed to you."

But I think if it is a paralegal/secretary type, it is almost definitely a woman right? I am just going to go with it.
Probably a woman, but I wouldn't just go for it. See if you can call a receptionist at the firm.

If you know the lawyer personally, why aren't you addressing the letter to him?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:05 am

rad law wrote:Probably a woman, but I wouldn't just go for it. See if you can call a receptionist at the firm.

If you know the lawyer personally, why aren't you addressing the letter to him?
I don't know the lawyer personally. It just says to send materials to this person, but this person isn't on the hiring cmte. My materials are addressed to the hiring chair.

Maybe I'll call.

edit: Found a picture of her on some random flickr album. +1 for my creeping skills.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:16 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
honestly, i have no idea how long this internship is supposed to last. i just mass-mailed, and got an email notice today to schedule a phone interview. i guess if they'll allow split summers, it would make things easier, but could i ask that after (assuming if) i get an offer? or would that be the equivalent of turning down a judge, which i've been told is a big no-no?

are unpaid gigs like this even that hard to get? (if I limit my search to only Austin) I'm just wondering what my prospects are if I turn this down

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:38 am

keg411 wrote:Fed judge interview today was incredibly intimidating. I felt way TTT.
Why is that? I want DETAILS!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:48 am

f0bolous wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
honestly, i have no idea how long this internship is supposed to last. i just mass-mailed, and got an email notice today to schedule a phone interview. i guess if they'll allow split summers, it would make things easier, but could i ask that after (assuming if) i get an offer? or would that be the equivalent of turning down a judge, which i've been told is a big no-no?

are unpaid gigs like this even that hard to get? (if I limit my search to only Austin) I'm just wondering what my prospects are if I turn this down
Hmm, not sure how to try and figure out how long the internship is for before the interview. If it was listed on Symplicity, there's a good chance it said. The court website might have some information on application process and details for interns. You could try figuring out what is the normal practice in the area. Or look at nearby law schools and see if they have judicial internship programs and what the requirements are (a dallas judge I'll be interning with normally takes on interns for 4 weeks, b/c that is enough to satisfy the hour requirements for credit for a judicial internship from SMU). Or you could just call the secretary for the judge and anonymously ask her if she happened to know how many weeks judicial interns worked for.

Not sure what I would do if I didn't know before going into the interview, since I think that does kinda come close to turning a judge down.

I'm not too sure about getting Austin non-paying legal stuff. I wanted to do an judicial internship from the start, so that's all I applied to. I had two interviews and got two offers, so I'm be splitting summers between judges. I might have been pretty lucky though--I applied in late December with one grade that is my best on my resume and had some random connections to both judges that came up during the interview.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”