1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Dr. Review

Gold

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone have a good cover letter example for RA jobs?
Dear Professor ____,

My LSAT is 17x.

Sincerely,

DF.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Question for anybody who would care to help. I withdrew my application for an SA position during the middle of last week via email. I was supposed to have an interview in the next couple of weeks but went ahead and accepted another offer. I have yet to receive any sort of "confirmation" that the interviewer received my withdrawal email. Should I email again, call, or just assume he got it and forget about it?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Pm'd

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Dear Professor ____,

My LSAT is 17x.

Sincerely,

DF.
Dear Mr. Fox,

Then explain your GPA.

Sincerely Prof.

P.S. PWND

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Had my first panel interview today. Definitely a lot more difficult than just interviewing with one person. Felt pretty decent about it besides forgetting my jacket and having to come back for it after exiting the room :oops: .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:54 pm

At this rate I'll be unemployed by 1L summer.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Picked which city I'll be in today. Waiting on one firm (had callback, hopefully offer or no offer this week), otherwise I'll be taking another offer in the same town (2 blocks away). I'm soooooo ready for this process to be over...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

interviewed at EDNY and SDNT civil feb 15 and 17 at CLS oci. still no word = ding? anyone hear back?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:18 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Question for anybody who would care to help. I withdrew my application for an SA position during the middle of last week via email. I was supposed to have an interview in the next couple of weeks but went ahead and accepted another offer. I have yet to receive any sort of "confirmation" that the interviewer received my withdrawal email. Should I email again, call, or just assume he got it and forget about it?
I did all of my withdrawals/denials via phone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Question for anybody who would care to help. I withdrew my application for an SA position during the middle of last week via email. I was supposed to have an interview in the next couple of weeks but went ahead and accepted another offer. I have yet to receive any sort of "confirmation" that the interviewer received my withdrawal email. Should I email again, call, or just assume he got it and forget about it?
I did all of my withdrawals/denials via phone.
I normally would have as well. However, all of our communication has been via email with the exception of a single phone call (something like 6 emails to one phone call). I took that to mean that my interviewer preferred email. Could be wrong though.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:43 am

I just got offered a job whose interview I thought I blew entirely. I hadn't heard back from the employer in over 2 weeks and had given up hope. These things happen, so don't give up, childrens.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:15 am

I'm not sure if I posted this in here, but keep the faith all. I have a paid firm gig for summer I and now looking for unpaid for summer II.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:53 am

I've got some stuff going, but nothing solid. I'm on a caffeine bender and just applied to all the government jobs with a March 1st deadline. Thats a lot of jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:54 am

Gatriel wrote:I'm not sure if I posted this in here, but keep the faith all. I have a paid firm gig for summer I and now looking for unpaid for summer II.
What firm? I'm trying to do the same...have summer II lined up in fed ct, need a firm gig

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:interviewed at EDNY and SDNT civil feb 15 and 17 at CLS oci. still no word = ding? anyone hear back?
i know someone who got an offer from EDNY about a week after her OCI interview. career counselor told me that the callbacks from OCI probably already happened by now. if it's any consolation, i struck out at CLS OCI, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Have an interview soon with an Art. 1 judge. What are these interviews like? I think I'll just be interviewing with her clerks.

Any idea how many interviews they give out and what the odds of getting an offer from an interview are?

TIA.

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:08 pm

E-Mail from firm on 2/14: "We hope to make a decision by the end of next week. Let us know if anything comes up with your candidacy"

Still havent heard back... ding?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Haven't had contact with any of my firms since 2/7. Should I send some follow up e-mails?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Had interview with judge today which I felt like I absolutely nailed. Would be borderline shocked if I didn't get an offer out of this but who knows. I am really just ready for this whole process to be over and this judge was my #1 choice. I have heard mixed things on sending or not sending thank-you letters to the judicial clerk (I interviewed with the clerk) so I am unsure whether I should send one or not. If by address it would be straight to the judge's chambers but with the clerk's name on the envelope which sort of looks weird to me.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Had interview with judge today which I felt like I absolutely nailed. Would be borderline shocked if I didn't get an offer out of this but who knows. I am really just ready for this whole process to be over and this judge was my #1 choice. I have heard mixed things on sending or not sending thank-you letters to the judicial clerk (I interviewed with the clerk) so I am unsure whether I should send one or not. If by address it would be straight to the judge's chambers but with the clerk's name on the envelope which sort of looks weird to me.
Just use email?

BarCliff

New

Post by BarCliff » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:27 pm

phonepro wrote:E-Mail from firm on 2/14: "We hope to make a decision by the end of next week. Let us know if anything comes up with your candidacy"

I'm in the same boat.

I'm treating it as a ding right now. Will be very surprised if it comes out the other way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:36 pm

beach_terror wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Had interview with judge today which I felt like I absolutely nailed. Would be borderline shocked if I didn't get an offer out of this but who knows. I am really just ready for this whole process to be over and this judge was my #1 choice. I have heard mixed things on sending or not sending thank-you letters to the judicial clerk (I interviewed with the clerk) so I am unsure whether I should send one or not. If by address it would be straight to the judge's chambers but with the clerk's name on the envelope which sort of looks weird to me.
Just use email?
+1

I got my offer literally five minutes after I sent a thank-you e-mail to the judge's clerk. I assume that this was more a case of, "oh, yeah, I'm supposed to extend that guy an offer and the e-mail reminded me of that," rather than, "let's wait and see if he sends a thank-you e-mail before deciding to give him an offer." But still, obviously didn't hurt. E-mail is absolutely the way to go. Send it the day after when you're still fresh in their minds.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Just use email?
+1

I got my offer literally five minutes after I sent a thank-you e-mail to the judge's clerk. I assume that this was more a case of, "oh, yeah, I'm supposed to extend that guy an offer and the e-mail reminded me of that," rather than, "let's wait and see if he sends a thank-you e-mail before deciding to give him an offer." But still, obviously didn't hurt. E-mail is absolutely the way to go. Send it the day after when you're still fresh in their minds.
I did this a few minutes ago. Waiting for that offer now... aaaaany second now...

*Edit: Clerk replied --
"[Bedsole],

The judge and I really enjoyed meeting and talking with you yesterday. We
are hoping to finish our interviews this week and will be in contact with
you shortly thereafter."

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:49 pm

BarCliff wrote:
phonepro wrote:E-Mail from firm on 2/14: "We hope to make a decision by the end of next week. Let us know if anything comes up with your candidacy"

I'm in the same boat.

I'm treating it as a ding right now. Will be very surprised if it comes out the other way.
WAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

gsrgrado

New

Post by gsrgrado » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Am I throwing away the benefit of a JD by working a non-legal internship my 1L summer?

I'm in a lower-ranked T1 school and I am in my first year on almost a full ride scholarship. I have almost no expenses, and will luckily be able to graduate with almost no debt. I enjoy law school and its subject material, but I've come to the realization this year that I really don't think I want to work as a lawyer, at least not for a firm with a rigid office/management structure and other people choosing for me who I can represent. The idea of working as an attorney on my own, though, really appeals to me, but that's a question for another day.

With that in mind, I have been offered to work this summer in a position in a field I'm interested in eventually working in, and the pay and benefits are great, and I'll have critical responsibilities and won't be making coffee and copies for other people at this job. The thing is, the job isn't related to law even in the slightest. Everyone is telling me I am crazy for thinking of doing this and there's no point in me getting a JD if my mind is set on other things.

I can see that I probably will have a difficult, if not impossible, time getting some kind of legal work my 2nd summer if I work a non-law job this summer, but what I'm more worried about is getting into my school's clinics. Will I have a harder time getting into a clinic if I don't do legal work this summer? Am I really doing that bad of a career move by not working a non-law job this summer?

I've tried searching Google on this issue, but it seems like not a single person in the history of law school has worked a non-law job their first summer.

So, I guess what I'm wondering is...what kind of employment experience am I looking at next summer and onwards, post-graduation? Again, given the job market and my incredibly lucky financial situation, I am not phased in the slightest at the idea of not working at a firm right out of school, but I would like to have a job that lets me use the skills I'm getting from this JD (such as public interest or government job). What can I expect from not doing something law related 1L summer? End of the world as my classmates are making it out to be or not that big of a deal (or somewhere in between)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”