1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Diamond

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:40 am

TTH wrote:
rad law wrote:
TTH wrote:Jesus Fucking Christ...

I just sent an e-mail to a partner at a law firm seeking an informational interview. I forgot to attach my resume, didn't space between two words, and used the wrong word in another part of the e-mail. This is why you shouldn't send important e-mails late at night.

Should I send a follow up e-mail with the resume, or resign myself to being pwned?
Doesn't hurt to send the follow-up.
Partner replied to my e-mail this morning and let me have it. Not for the mistakes, but for the very notion of trying to network. He more or less said "Nothing but grades and extracurriculars matter. You're a tool, but I'll be happy to meet with you." :?
Srs? Whoa.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:15 am

Ended up getting the interview with the judge who's female clerk I called "Mr.". Stunned. Maybe its some sort of formality and they already know they aren't taking me but felt bad because they already offered the interview.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:18 am

TTH wrote: Partner replied to my e-mail this morning and let me have it. Not for the mistakes, but for the very notion of trying to network. He more or less said "Nothing but grades and extracurriculars matter. You're a tool, but I'll be happy to meet with you." :?
Sheesh. I feel like I would decide not to do the interview, but then I'm sure he'd be pissed because he's offered it to you (or whatever that response could be categorized as).

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:19 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
TTH wrote: Partner replied to my e-mail this morning and let me have it. Not for the mistakes, but for the very notion of trying to network. He more or less said "Nothing but grades and extracurriculars matter. You're a tool, but I'll be happy to meet with you." :?
Sheesh. I feel like I would decide not to do the interview, but then I'm sure he'd be pissed because he's offered it to you (or whatever that response could be categorized as).
It sounds like the partner would be pissed either way.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Really wish I could read the actual email. I wonder just how bad it was.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:24 pm

rad law wrote:
TTH wrote:
rad law wrote:
TTH wrote:Jesus Fucking Christ...

I just sent an e-mail to a partner at a law firm seeking an informational interview. I forgot to attach my resume, didn't space between two words, and used the wrong word in another part of the e-mail. This is why you shouldn't send important e-mails late at night.

Should I send a follow up e-mail with the resume, or resign myself to being pwned?
Doesn't hurt to send the follow-up.
Partner replied to my e-mail this morning and let me have it. Not for the mistakes, but for the very notion of trying to network. He more or less said "Nothing but grades and extracurriculars matter. You're a tool, but I'll be happy to meet with you." :?
Srs? Whoa.
I disagree with most posters assertion that this is bad of the partner. I actually think it was quite nice.

1. He appears to have been honest with you, i.e. he said you can't network your way in here and as most of us know grades matter greatly. Most people aren't that honest and will string you along knowing you have no shot. I'm not saying you don't have a shot I am saying he was pointing out how it works.

2. He responded promptly. The partner's time is likely valuable and you sent him a bad e-mail late at night and he still responded to you really quickly without commenting on your faults. I find that pretty commendable.

3. He also said he would be happy to meet with you using his valuable time to help you going forward even if it won't lead to a job there.

Maybe the actual text would change my interpretation of it, but your synopsis, which is likely somewhat inflammatory, doesn't seem rude to me.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 pm

So, common questions to be ready from from an appellate court judge?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:35 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:So, common questions to be ready from from an appellate court judge?
Anonymous User wrote:Just did an interview with a federal magistrate judge over the phone. Questions included:

Who is your favorite SCOTUS judge? Why?
Which of his/her opinions did you like the most? Why?
How do you see the originalist interpretation of the Constitution developing over the 21st century?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Bedsole wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:So, common questions to be ready from from an appellate court judge?
Anonymous User wrote:Just did an interview with a federal magistrate judge over the phone. Questions included:

How do you see the originalist interpretation of the Constitution developing over the 21st century?
Who is your favorite 14th century legal philosopher? Why?
Who was your favorite character on Friends? Why?
What is you favorite type of jam? Why?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Unitas wrote:
rad law wrote:
TTH wrote:Partner replied to my e-mail this morning and let me have it. Not for the mistakes, but for the very notion of trying to network. He more or less said "Nothing but grades and extracurriculars matter. You're a tool, but I'll be happy to meet with you." :?
Srs? Whoa.
I disagree with most posters assertion that this is bad of the partner. I actually think it was quite nice.

1. He appears to have been honest with you, i.e. he said you can't network your way in here and as most of us know grades matter greatly. Most people aren't that honest and will string you along knowing you have no shot. I'm not saying you don't have a shot I am saying he was pointing out how it works.

2. He responded promptly. The partner's time is likely valuable and you sent him a bad e-mail late at night and he still responded to you really quickly without commenting on your faults. I find that pretty commendable.

3. He also said he would be happy to meet with you using his valuable time to help you going forward even if it won't lead to a job there.

Maybe the actual text would change my interpretation of it, but your synopsis, which is likely somewhat inflammatory, doesn't seem rude to me.
I don't disagree with that you're saying, necessarily. The tone of his e-mail was pretty rough, but I'm still going to follow up with it. I wasn't really calling him rude so much as expressing my surprise that he was so blunt. Most attorneys, like you alluded, seem to play it pretty soft with 1Ls. I wasn't really expecting the response I got, but maybe I'll earn some respect by being undaunted. :P

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:51 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

1.) William of Ockham. Occam's Razor, obviously.

2.) Trick question. None of them.

3.) Space Jam. No explanation necessary.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 pm

fatduck wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

1.) William of Ockham. Occam's Razor, obviously.

2.) Trick question. None of them.

3.) Space Jam. No explanation necessary.
Dinged. Pearl Jam is clearly TCR for number three.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:09 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I still can't believe I was stupid enough to put "Mr." to a clerk that is female. Its been eating away at me all day. This wasn't a cover letter or anything, this was an email response to her asking when I am available to interview. I am thinking she either needs to overlook the mistake or just laugh about it for me to have ANY shot at still getting this interview. The internship has to do with research and writing entirely and if I can't keep genders straight they should only assume that I will be utterly worthless at doing everything else.
I did something like that to the number one place I wanted to work at. I put in a ton of leg work "networking" with that office... went to informational interview, met the hiring director, shadowed an attorney, gave follow up calls, me current interns etc... and then when I actually applied I had written the wrong persons name in the cover letter (addressed to someone working in a completely different office).

Luckily it turned out that their online application system was down and they never went even saw that copy... so I just sent another one

will hear back from them today hopefully...
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:09 pm

TTH wrote:
Dinged. Pearl Jam is clearly TCR for number three.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:16 pm

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Borhas wrote:Image

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Def Jam?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm sorry, but the credited response is:

Thank you for playing. Better luck next time.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T-20, top 10%/5%

Applied to 50 Fed. Judges, one interview, hasn't happened yet.

30 Firms, on one "waitlist", nothing else.

Blanketed some local public interest,

Where should I spend tomorrow applying?

Sorry for anon, my whole section knows who I am.
If I remember correctly, a bunch of federal positions listed in the government honors handbook had application deadlines of 3/15. Then again so did my USAO and they hired me almost a month ago. If you don't know what the government honors handbook is, email your CSO, ask for the link and your school's username/password.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Geist13 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T-20, top 10%/5%

Applied to 50 Fed. Judges, one interview, hasn't happened yet.

30 Firms, on one "waitlist", nothing else.

Blanketed some local public interest,

Where should I spend tomorrow applying?

Sorry for anon, my whole section knows who I am.
If I remember correctly, a bunch of federal positions listed in the government honors handbook had application deadlines of 3/15. Then again so did my USAO and they hired me almost a month ago. If you don't know what the government honors handbook is, email your CSO, ask for the link and your school's username/password.
Federal judges are still taking applications and considering applicants in some areas. I have gotten three phone calls either offering me positions or interviews with various federal judges in the last two weeks. I applied near Dec. 1st, so it may just be that some are just now looking at applicants. I didn't do any updates at all, such as grades..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Today I got one rejection that just straight up told me I was unqualified, even though the only requirement listed was that you be a law student. lol.

Then 10 minutes later I got an interview and the lady just said "come in on this day at this time." I technically have class. Do I just skip class or tell her I can't make it? Prob. skip class, even though I'm not all that interested in this position. I do wish I could land one of the jobs I actually want.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:01 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Today I got one rejection that just straight up told me I was unqualified, even though the only requirement listed was that you be a law student. lol.

Then 10 minutes later I got an interview and the lady just said "come in on this day at this time." I technically have class. Do I just skip class or tell her I can't make it? Prob. skip class, even though I'm not all that interested in this position. I do wish I could land one of the jobs I actually want.
Skip class and don't go to the interview.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:03 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Today I got one rejection that just straight up told me I was unqualified, even though the only requirement listed was that you be a law student. lol.

Interviews are always more important than class. A job that isn't high on your list is better than no job at all. I'd tell her, since you're in school to get a job, not for the "intellectual stimulation".
Bedsole wrote: Skip class and don't go to the interview.
Though this is probably what I would do...

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Paid job? Go to interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”