Make some cash while still in law school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HITeacher2

Make some cash while still in law school

Postby HITeacher2 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:21 pm

Read a story this morning about a Dan Balsam, a guy who quit his job and went to law school so he could make a living suing e-mail spammers. According to the story, he makes decent money and was able to start the lawsuit train while he was still in school, meaning we can probably do it too. More importantly, he's doing something good - taking the concept of frivolous lawsuits and using it to improve people's lives while making a quick buck for himself. Consider it.

Story available here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/2 ... 01433.html

romothesavior

Re: Make some cash while still in law school

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:46 pm

This is the best part of the article:

"He really seems to be trying to twist things for a buck," said Bennet Kelley, a defense lawyer who has become Balsam's arch nemesis over the years in the rough-and-tumble litigation niche that has sprung up around spam.

The one thing I want to have in my career is an arch-nemesis. I don't need money, I don't need prestige, I don't need power... I just want some tough son of a bitch to go toe-to-toe with in the courtroom on a regular basis. A rivalry match, if you will.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:48 pm

In a town with just one lawyer, the lawyer will starve; in a town with two lawyers, both will thrive.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:59 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:In a town with just one lawyer, the lawyer will starve; in a town with two lawyers, both will thrive.

great quote lol

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:42 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:In a town with just one lawyer, the lawyer will starve; in a town with two lawyers, both will thrive.

Completely false. The lawyer would be pwning pro se defendants day and night. He would need a wheelbarrow to carry his cut of the settlements and judgments.

Return to “Legal Employment”