Choosing field of law and managing summer opps Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
iShotFirst

Bronze

Choosing field of law and managing summer opps

Post by iShotFirst » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:38 pm

I am just trying to figure out how 1L summer fits into the whole employment and 2L summer scheme. I am able to work for a law firm (international, unpaid) but if I want that I have to decide pretty soon. The place is somewhere Im interested in going and the work the firm looks like pretty standard commercial work.

But Im just not sure I want to work in a law firm after school. I'm (currently) more attracted to the criminal side. There are many opportunities at my school for that side of the law, but the app deadlines and offers happen much later and this other opportunity will have sailed. In addition, those opportunities are not guaranteed, where the international law firm opp pretty much is.

How do people figure out what they want to do and line that up with their summer employment? Any advice or tips are appreciated.

Voyager

Silver

Re: Choosing field of law and managing summer opps

Post by Voyager » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:22 pm

iShotFirst wrote:I am just trying to figure out how 1L summer fits into the whole employment and 2L summer scheme. I am able to work for a law firm (international, unpaid) but if I want that I have to decide pretty soon. The place is somewhere Im interested in going and the work the firm looks like pretty standard commercial work.

But Im just not sure I want to work in a law firm after school. I'm (currently) more attracted to the criminal side. There are many opportunities at my school for that side of the law, but the app deadlines and offers happen much later and this other opportunity will have sailed. In addition, those opportunities are not guaranteed, where the international law firm opp pretty much is.

How do people figure out what they want to do and line that up with their summer employment? Any advice or tips are appreciated.
Hey, try it out. Your 1L internship does not lock you into a career path. How do people figure out what they like? They try stuff. You should do internships during the school year for the same reason.

I did 2 stints at the SDNY USAO, a summer at biglaw and another stint prosecuting cases at a DA's office. I understand the interest in prosecution/crim. Just make an effort to get a crim internship at some point before your 3L year and you will be fine. Doing a couple of months at a firm is a good experience no matter where you end up.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Re: Choosing field of law and managing summer opps

Post by iShotFirst » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:38 pm

That was just what I needed to hear, thanks!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”