2L classes for DA summer internship...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2L classes for DA summer internship...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:02 am

I originally went into ls to pursue prosecution, but found that I really like personal injury and bk law. I interned at a pretty prestigious PI firm this summer and may be able to get a 2L job with them. While I like these private practice areas of law I could very much use IBR loan forgiveness as I have large UG and ls loans.

I think it might be financially responsible to at least give prosecution a try for my 2L summer to see if it is something I could enjoy. I did not take any crimlaw related classes this semester. Will any DA offices look at me? If not, can I still take certain classes that will get me interviews? If so, what classes are crucial? Thanks.

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: 2L classes for DA summer internship...

Postby Voyager » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I originally went into ls to pursue prosecution, but found that I really like personal injury and bk law. I interned at a pretty prestigious PI firm this summer and may be able to get a 2L job with them. While I like these private practice areas of law I could very much use IBR loan forgiveness as I have large UG and ls loans.

I think it might be financially responsible to at least give prosecution a try for my 2L summer to see if it is something I could enjoy. I did not take any crimlaw related classes this semester. Will any DA offices look at me? If not, can I still take certain classes that will get me interviews? If so, what classes are crucial? Thanks.


Depends on grades. That said, a big part of the interview is convincing them you really want to be an ADA. With no crim classes, that will be difficult. Have you signed up for any in the Spring? Also, do you have any public service experience?

Crucial classes: evidence (should take this anyway for the bar exam), crim adjudication. Fed crim law is probably a good idea as well just to show you are into it.

Interested Observer
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: 2L classes for DA summer internship...

Postby Interested Observer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Voyager wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I originally went into ls to pursue prosecution, but found that I really like personal injury and bk law. I interned at a pretty prestigious PI firm this summer and may be able to get a 2L job with them. While I like these private practice areas of law I could very much use IBR loan forgiveness as I have large UG and ls loans.

I think it might be financially responsible to at least give prosecution a try for my 2L summer to see if it is something I could enjoy. I did not take any crimlaw related classes this semester. Will any DA offices look at me? If not, can I still take certain classes that will get me interviews? If so, what classes are crucial? Thanks.


Depends on grades. That said, a big part of the interview is convincing them you really want to be an ADA. With no crim classes, that will be difficult. Have you signed up for any in the Spring? Also, do you have any public service experience?

Crucial classes: evidence (should take this anyway for the bar exam), crim adjudication. Fed crim law is probably a good idea as well just to show you are into it.



My school doesn't offer "criminal adjudication" so I'm not sure if it's the same class as Criminal Procedure. If not, then you should definitely take criminal procedure. Also, at least in California, you can be certified when once you finish civil procedure and take evidence. But some public defenders and DAs will require their certified law students have taken criminal procedure.

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: 2L classes for DA summer internship...

Postby Voyager » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Interested Observer wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I originally went into ls to pursue prosecution, but found that I really like personal injury and bk law. I interned at a pretty prestigious PI firm this summer and may be able to get a 2L job with them. While I like these private practice areas of law I could very much use IBR loan forgiveness as I have large UG and ls loans.

I think it might be financially responsible to at least give prosecution a try for my 2L summer to see if it is something I could enjoy. I did not take any crimlaw related classes this semester. Will any DA offices look at me? If not, can I still take certain classes that will get me interviews? If so, what classes are crucial? Thanks.


Depends on grades. That said, a big part of the interview is convincing them you really want to be an ADA. With no crim classes, that will be difficult. Have you signed up for any in the Spring? Also, do you have any public service experience?

Crucial classes: evidence (should take this anyway for the bar exam), crim adjudication. Fed crim law is probably a good idea as well just to show you are into it.



My school doesn't offer "criminal adjudication" so I'm not sure if it's the same class as Criminal Procedure. If not, then you should definitely take criminal procedure. Also, at least in California, you can be certified when once you finish civil procedure and take evidence. But some public defenders and DAs will require their certified law students have taken criminal procedure.



Yes, crim procedure. same thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L classes for DA summer internship...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks guys. If I go the prosecutor route, I want to work in a smallish type county in the PNW (i.e., a job on the lower end of the prestige scale).

The problem with evidence and crim pro is that these classes are overflowing with waitlisted students and I am a transfer so I didn't get first dibs when registration started. I am trying to petition the registrar for some help with this issue. So, the consensus is definitely evidence and criminal procedure before 2L summer. That's about what I figured. Thanks. :)

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: 2L classes for DA summer internship...

Postby Voyager » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks guys. If I go the prosecutor route, I want to work in a smallish type county in the PNW (i.e., a job on the lower end of the prestige scale).

The problem with evidence and crim pro is that these classes are overflowing with waitlisted students and I am a transfer so I didn't get first dibs when registration started. I am trying to petition the registrar for some help with this issue. So, the consensus is definitely evidence and criminal procedure before 2L summer. That's about what I figured. Thanks. :)


Yeah, you need those for the ADA interviews in the fall. Most ADA offices will actually give you scenarios that are based on the rules of evidence during the interview. These are usually designed to test ethics, but understanding your local state's evidence rules is a huge help (Rosario in NY, for example, is tested in every borough during the interview).

Interested Observer
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: 2L classes for DA summer internship...

Postby Interested Observer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:54 am

Voyager wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks guys. If I go the prosecutor route, I want to work in a smallish type county in the PNW (i.e., a job on the lower end of the prestige scale).

The problem with evidence and crim pro is that these classes are overflowing with waitlisted students and I am a transfer so I didn't get first dibs when registration started. I am trying to petition the registrar for some help with this issue. So, the consensus is definitely evidence and criminal procedure before 2L summer. That's about what I figured. Thanks. :)


Yeah, you need those for the ADA interviews in the fall. Most ADA offices will actually give you scenarios that are based on the rules of evidence during the interview. These are usually designed to test ethics, but understanding your local state's evidence rules is a huge help (Rosario in NY, for example, is tested in every borough during the interview).



Oh, and it probably wouldn't hurt to take Professional Responsibility. It's a class that's obviously very applicable especially if you're able to do certified law clerk type work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L classes for DA summer internship...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Voyager wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks guys. If I go the prosecutor route, I want to work in a smallish type county in the PNW (i.e., a job on the lower end of the prestige scale).

The problem with evidence and crim pro is that these classes are overflowing with waitlisted students and I am a transfer so I didn't get first dibs when registration started. I am trying to petition the registrar for some help with this issue. So, the consensus is definitely evidence and criminal procedure before 2L summer. That's about what I figured. Thanks. :)


Yeah, you need those for the ADA interviews in the fall. Most ADA offices will actually give you scenarios that are based on the rules of evidence during the interview. These are usually designed to test ethics, but understanding your local state's evidence rules is a huge help (Rosario in NY, for example, is tested in every borough during the interview).

Thanks. When you say "ADA interviews in the fall," you are talking about 3L fall, right?

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: 2L classes for DA summer internship...

Postby Voyager » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks guys. If I go the prosecutor route, I want to work in a smallish type county in the PNW (i.e., a job on the lower end of the prestige scale).

The problem with evidence and crim pro is that these classes are overflowing with waitlisted students and I am a transfer so I didn't get first dibs when registration started. I am trying to petition the registrar for some help with this issue. So, the consensus is definitely evidence and criminal procedure before 2L summer. That's about what I figured. Thanks. :)


Yeah, you need those for the ADA interviews in the fall. Most ADA offices will actually give you scenarios that are based on the rules of evidence during the interview. These are usually designed to test ethics, but understanding your local state's evidence rules is a huge help (Rosario in NY, for example, is tested in every borough during the interview).

Thanks. When you say "ADA interviews in the fall," you are talking about 3L fall, right?


Yes, I was referring to a full time position. That said, I bet similar concerns are at play in the intern interviews as well.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.