Litigation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Litigation

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:09 pm

I am wondering what it traditionally takes for an individual to be able to crack the litigation practice at a respectable biglaw or midsize firm. I have been told that only the very best students will even be considered for litigation. Any insights are helpful.

Voyager
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Litigation

Postby Voyager » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:13 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:I am wondering what it traditionally takes for an individual to be able to crack the litigation practice at a respectable biglaw or midsize firm. I have been told that only the very best students will even be considered for litigation. Any insights are helpful.


lol. just no.

Biglaw firms are factories and you are the raw material. If you express interest in litigation, to litigation you will go.

Mind numbing westlaw research projects don't really require much, ya know?

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Litigation

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Voyager wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:I am wondering what it traditionally takes for an individual to be able to crack the litigation practice at a respectable biglaw or midsize firm. I have been told that only the very best students will even be considered for litigation. Any insights are helpful.


lol. just no.

Biglaw firms are factories and you are the raw material. If you express interest in litigation, to litigation you will go.

Mind numbing westlaw research projects don't really require much, ya know?


Well that's great to hear lol

Voyager
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Litigation

Postby Voyager » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:27 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:I am wondering what it traditionally takes for an individual to be able to crack the litigation practice at a respectable biglaw or midsize firm. I have been told that only the very best students will even be considered for litigation. Any insights are helpful.


lol. just no.

Biglaw firms are factories and you are the raw material. If you express interest in litigation, to litigation you will go.

Mind numbing westlaw research projects don't really require much, ya know?


Well that's great to hear lol


yeah, when you get the interview they will ask you what you to do. just say "litigation!" and you are in assuming you get an offer to the firm. Simple as that.

That said there are some very elite lit-only shops that are more exclusive.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Litigation

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Voyager wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:I am wondering what it traditionally takes for an individual to be able to crack the litigation practice at a respectable biglaw or midsize firm. I have been told that only the very best students will even be considered for litigation. Any insights are helpful.


lol. just no.

Biglaw firms are factories and you are the raw material. If you express interest in litigation, to litigation you will go.

Mind numbing westlaw research projects don't really require much, ya know?


Well that's great to hear lol


yeah, when you get the interview they will ask you what you to do. just say "litigation!" and you are in assuming you get an offer to the firm. Simple as that.

That said there are some very elite lit-only shops that are more exclusive.


Well I have yet to start law school, but the concept, if you will, of litigation has piqued my interest.

Voyager
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Litigation

Postby Voyager » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:02 am

ksimon2007 wrote:Well I have yet to start law school, but the concept, if you will, of litigation has piqued my interest.


oh, rly? do you know whatjunior associates in biglaw lit departments do? they are not involved in any of the case strategy. nor do they get to stand up in court. 3rd years may be allowed to do depositions. mostly you conduct mindnumbing westlaw searches and then write memos. simply awful.

I highly recommend you think about becoming an AUSA if you want to do real litigation at an early age. To do it, you will need a federal clerkship. So study hard.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Litigation

Postby A&O » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:32 am

There is a difference between being a litigator and being a trial lawyer. If you want to be just a litigator, any firm will do. If you want to be a trial lawyer, the number of firms suitable for that goal diminishes significantly.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.