2011 Diversity Fellowship Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2011 Diversity Fellowship Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:34 pm

I know there is a general 1L summer associate job search forum, but thought I would create one for those of us applying for diversity scholarships.

This thread is to chat about:

Firms/programs and their requirements for applying
Locations
Interviews/Callbacks/Offers
Commiserating when we don't get interviews/callbacks/offers

I'll try and keep tabs in the OP on firms that are making moves if people end up using the thread at all.

g73331

New

Re: 2011 Diversity Fellowship Thread

Post by g73331 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm

Nice thread. When classes paused after fall exams, I started my mad scramble for summer job applications.

Most notably, I was impressed by the decent amount of apps requesting diverse applicants. I think it's a good look that the industry takes an interest in exploring talent from all segments of our society. Hopefully, it's a genuine interest though.

We shall see; and I hope to hear back from someone soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Interesting thread. I've seen some applications out there and have actually heard of a 2L from my school getting a diversity fellowship after his 1L year. With that said, I'm not sure how common they are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm a 3L, but as a 1L, I received one diversity scholarship and was a finalist for another.

For the one that I was awarded, I was given $3,000 in cash (for living expenses) and it was fairly well understood that they would be giving me a 2L Summer Associate position -- originally, they had offered a 1L Summer Associate position but due to the economy had to renege on that. Ultimately, I transferred out of my 1L school and had no interest in living in that area so I never actively pursued a summer position as a 2L.

The interview process was pretty much like a 2L call-back. Go to the office and meet with a number of different attorneys for 30 minutes. We also had a dinner on a separate occasion.

I would be happy to answer questions based on my experience.

cindytran872

New

Post by cindytran872 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L, but as a 1L, I received one diversity scholarship and was a finalist for another.

For the one that I was awarded, I was given $3,000 in cash (for living expenses) and it was fairly well understood that they would be giving me a 2L Summer Associate position -- originally, they had offered a 1L Summer Associate position but due to the economy had to renege on that. Ultimately, I transferred out of my 1L school and had no interest in living in that area so I never actively pursued a summer position as a 2L.

The interview process was pretty much like a 2L call-back. Go to the office and meet with a number of different attorneys for 30 minutes. We also had a dinner on a separate occasion.

Hi! What kind of questions did they ask you during the interviews? Were there any questions regarding how you can help their diversity etc? Was it any different then a regular callback/interview? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Interested Observer

New

Post by Interested Observer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:36 pm

cindytran872 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L, but as a 1L, I received one diversity scholarship and was a finalist for another.

Hi! What kind of questions did they ask you during the interviews? Were there any questions regarding how you can help their diversity etc? Was it any different then a regular callback/interview? Thanks!
For the scholarship that I received --

The interview process was very similar to call backs I've had (this is obviously looking backwards because I had 2L call backs after having this interview).

I think I met with five people who rotated (as opposed to me rotating office to office). The mixture of people were partners and associates. I don't know if the people who I met with had discussed things prior to my interviews, but it seemed, fortunately, that each had focused on different aspects of my resume. One was really interested in my work experience prior to law school -- nothing major, just working at a small litigation firm. Another person focused on my "interests" line on my resume. I just remember thinking after the interviews that it's strange that I never really had to talk about the same thing twice.

I really only spoke to one person about "diversity" issues -- she also happened to be the chair of the diversity committee. She was really taken with the essay I had written for the application where I told a story about my family.

In all honesty, the interviews were, for the most part, call back style interviews that you would get after doing OCI as a 2L. Other than the one partner who focused on my essay, everybody else wanted to get know me to probably try and figure out if I would be a good fit at the firm. As general matter, call back interviews are more about fit. By the call back stage, you assume that the firm is happy with your credentials and assumes that you are competent (to the level they desire) to do the work.

If you have a "call back" for a diversity scholarship, I would prepare for it as I would any regular call back (with maybe keeping some diversity issues in the back of your mind).

For the scholarship for which I was a finalist but did not actually receive --

It was only an hour long interview with one partner and one associate at the same time. This is unlike any call back interview I've had subsequent to this experience. The interview was a general business type of interview. They asked questions like: where do you see yourself in 5 years? What is one way in which you've exhibited courage or done something that made you stand out?

I don't seem to recall them asking anything about diversity issues or even about my essay.

I hope these experiences can shed some light on to what you can expect if you interview with a firm for one of these scholarships.

whattodo2008

Bronze

Post by whattodo2008 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Interested Observer wrote:
cindytran872 wrote:

For the scholarship that I received --

The interview process was very similar to call backs I've had (this is obviously looking backwards because I had 2L call backs after having this interview).

I think I met with five people who rotated (as opposed to me rotating office to office). The mixture of people were partners and associates. I don't know if the people who I met with had discussed things prior to my interviews, but it seemed, fortunately, that each had focused on different aspects of my resume. One was really interested in my work experience prior to law school -- nothing major, just working at a small litigation firm. Another person focused on my "interests" line on my resume. I just remember thinking after the interviews that it's strange that I never really had to talk about the same thing twice.

I really only spoke to one person about "diversity" issues -- she also happened to be the chair of the diversity committee. She was really taken with the essay I had written for the application where I told a story about my family.

In all honesty, the interviews were, for the most part, call back style interviews that you would get after doing OCI as a 2L. Other than the one partner who focused on my essay, everybody else wanted to get know me to probably try and figure out if I would be a good fit at the firm. As general matter, call back interviews are more about fit. By the call back stage, you assume that the firm is happy with your credentials and assumes that you are competent (to the level they desire) to do the work.

If you have a "call back" for a diversity scholarship, I would prepare for it as I would any regular call back (with maybe keeping some diversity issues in the back of your mind).

For the scholarship for which I was a finalist but did not actually receive --

It was only an hour long interview with one partner and one associate at the same time. This is unlike any call back interview I've had subsequent to this experience. The interview was a general business type of interview. They asked questions like: where do you see yourself in 5 years? What is one way in which you've exhibited courage or done something that made you stand out?

I don't seem to recall them asking anything about diversity issues or even about my essay.

I hope these experiences can shed some light on to what you can expect if you interview with a firm for one of these scholarships.
Where your essays for these more like cover letters or personal statements?

Interested Observer

New

Post by Interested Observer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:45 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:
Interested Observer wrote:
cindytran872 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Where your essays for these more like cover letters or personal statements?

My essays were much more like a personal statement -- something that I would've written for law school applications. I focused on my ability to bring a different perspective because of certain things my family had gone through in the past, and how, in many ways, I was unique because of these experiences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:10 pm

I am applying for a diversity scholarship and was asked for a short interview. However, I have to pay the expenses related to the interview. I am just wondering if this is normal? or maybe they are not so interested in me? should I go?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am applying for a diversity scholarship and was asked for a short interview. However, I have to pay the expenses related to the interview. I am just wondering if this is normal? or maybe they are not so interested in me? should I go?
It's normal for 1Ls to pay their way to interviews

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Do you think it is okay if I ask for a skype interview ??? or it would sound impolite?

thanks!!

Doritos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am applying for a diversity scholarship and was asked for a short interview. However, I have to pay the expenses related to the interview. I am just wondering if this is normal? or maybe they are not so interested in me? should I go?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Doritos wrote:
My 1L callbacks were paid for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you think it is okay if I ask for a skype interview ??? or it would sound impolite?

thanks!!

Doritos wrote:
If the firm isn't paying your way, you should definitely ask about your school's teleconferencing capabilities. I was able to teleconference one of my screening interviews and the firm reimbursed my callback.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Looks like some places are starting to move. I got 2 V100 interview requests (one this weekend, one today) from firms who recently closed their application processes.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like some places are starting to move. I got 2 V100 interview requests (one this weekend, one today) from firms who recently closed their application processes.
School range and class rank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:56 pm

which ones?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:09 am

tkgrrett wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like some places are starting to move. I got 2 V100 interview requests (one this weekend, one today) from firms who recently closed their application processes.
School range and class rank?
H or S. We don't rank, but in past years I'd be (at least) top 15%.
Anonymous User wrote:which ones?
Would rather not say. One is in a major market, the other a secondary satellite office.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:11 am

Seeing movement on my diversity apps too. Callbacks with two Pacific Northwest firms today - they were the first ones I applied to - turnaround time of about two weeks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:07 pm

The state bar that my school is in has a diversity program where each law school selects three students to be interviewed by employers participating in the program. This year there will be roughly two students per employer, so the way I see it, I have a 50/50 shot. Not bad odds. The employers are a mix of large firms (100+ employees) and large corporations. I feel pretty fortunate to be one of the three picked from my school, but will definitely be disappointed if nothing comes of this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The state bar that my school is in has a diversity program where each law school selects three students to be interviewed by employers participating in the program. This year there will be roughly two students per employer, so the way I see it, I have a 50/50 shot. Not bad odds. The employers are a mix of large firms (100+ employees) and large corporations. I feel pretty fortunate to be one of the three picked from my school, but will definitely be disappointed if nothing comes of this.
Neat. Good luck!

Some places really go fast after their application deadline closes. I got a callback yesterday without a screening interview, and am headed to the firm on Tuesday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The state bar that my school is in has a diversity program where each law school selects three students to be interviewed by employers participating in the program. This year there will be roughly two students per employer, so the way I see it, I have a 50/50 shot. Not bad odds. The employers are a mix of large firms (100+ employees) and large corporations. I feel pretty fortunate to be one of the three picked from my school, but will definitely be disappointed if nothing comes of this.

Sounds like NYC (if not, then disregard this msg). I was supposed to hear from my school on Thursday, but the snow delayed some of the interviews. I won't know until EOD Monday.

It's a pretty sweet program, although the disparity in potential salaries (800-3100/week) is a bit of a bummer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Sounds like NYC (if not, then disregard this msg). I was supposed to hear from my school on Thursday, but the snow delayed some of the interviews. I won't know until EOD Monday.

It's a pretty sweet program, although the disparity in potential salaries (800-3100/week) is a bit of a bummer.
Nope, not NY, but another east coast school. GL on monday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Heard that offers have gone out to clifford chance Peep in NY.

BTW: has anyone heard of any other movement with other diversity apps?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:16 am

hey, I interviewed with CC recently and was wondering where you heard that they were sending out offers already? kinda concerned since I haven't gotten a call or anything.....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 am

Anyone know how competitive the Goodwin Procter Fellowship is? Also, for those of you that received fellowships in years past, what were your grades/class rank like? Will firms only look at at 15 or 10% for fellowships?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”