Professor was a former clerk?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Professor was a former clerk?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:23 pm

So I want to send out an resume and cover letter to a specific judge on a court of appeals. I want the cover letter to be as targeted as possible to give me the best opportunity. This particular judge is seated in a competitive district in my home town. It so happens that a professor I had was a clerk for him. I've spoken to this professor and gone to his office hours, but I think it would be tacky to get a recommendation, or anything for a judicial externship. I mean if it was a clerkship it would be a whole different story. So anyone have any ideas on how I can mention this connection without making it seem like the professor is recommending me or anything?

Anonymous User

Re: Professor was a former clerk?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:28 pm

1.) Put him #1 on a list of references
2.) Ask him to call/email and put in a good word for you.

I really don't see why you don't just ask for a rec, it could only work for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:34 pm

I don't know I guess the whole recommendation things just seems tacky to me. Like I would prefer to just drop a line in like " While at X I took a class with a former clerk Y and learned a lot, and was encouraged to apply for an internship when talking to Y about his experience clerking.
Does that seem appropriate? I kind of want to save the recommendations for other types of employment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Is this process different than any other application process? I cannot seem to understand how having someone who has experienced a clerkship with this judge and knows your ability would not be a perfect recommendation. Further, if you have a relationship with this professor then there is nothing tacky about it especially if you have a genuine interest in clerking with this judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is this process different than any other application process? I cannot seem to understand how having someone who has experienced a clerkship with this judge and knows your ability would not be a perfect recommendation. Further, if you have a relationship with this professor then there is nothing tacky about it especially if you have a genuine interest in clerking with this judge.

That's the thing, it isn't for a post-grad clerkship. It's simply for a judicial internship. If this were for a for a clerkship, I'd have him call no doubt. But I think I am going to stick to a name-drop.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is this process different than any other application process? I cannot seem to understand how having someone who has experienced a clerkship with this judge and knows your ability would not be a perfect recommendation. Further, if you have a relationship with this professor then there is nothing tacky about it especially if you have a genuine interest in clerking with this judge.

That's the thing, it isn't for a post-grad clerkship. It's simply for a judicial internship. If this were for a for a clerkship, I'd have him call no doubt. But I think I am going to stick to a name-drop.

Oh ok. My mistake for missing that point.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:10 pm

If you mention the professor in your cover letter and the professor doesn't call the judge, it will look strange. I recommend asking your professor to call or contact on your behalf. I did this and it worked out. Plus, don't feel like you are "using up" a reference. Ever heard of the term"pot-committed"? Your professor will likely be just as eager or more so to help you if he or she has already helped you. Don't be afraid to ask for help. That is a valuable lessen to learn in law school.

Return to “Legal Employment”