Is it too late to send out apps as a 1L?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarCliff

Is it too late to send out apps as a 1L?

Postby BarCliff » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:06 pm

Have firms already begun to fill up their summer programs yet?

darkarmour

Re: Is it too late to send out apps as a 1L?

Postby darkarmour » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:20 pm

1L firm summers are a pipe dream... unless (1) you are looking in texas, (2) have a connection, or (3) striving for a diversity 1L scholarship. hth.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:48 am

BarCliff wrote:Have firms already begun to fill up their summer programs yet?

yes, most firms have filled up their programs by september (with 2ls of course)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:09 am

lol no. I'd say a significant majority of my peers (including myself) still have not. I would say enjoy Christmas, get your resume and cover letters polished, and send them out soon. That's what I plan to do. The CSO at my school and the firms I've talked to in my market say it makes no difference if you apply in early December or wait til late December. Employers want to see your grades before they hire anyways.

Also remember that 1) the number of non-URM students who get 1L SAs is tiny, and the number of non-URM non-elite school people who get them is practically non-existent and 2) your 1L summer gig is not that important as long as you do something respectable in the legal field. Doing something stellar can help, sure... but your summer gig won't make or break you for next year.

So relax, and have a good holiday.

Eco

Postby Eco » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Should be fine. Big law firms will wait till your grades come out.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:00 pm

i wouldn't wait too long though...some firms have already started granting interviews (even without grades)

conn09

Postby conn09 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:21 pm

f0bolous wrote:i wouldn't wait too long though...some firms have already started granting interviews (even without grades)

I can assure that a good portion of these interviews are to establish a contact point so you'll want to come back next summer.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:33 pm

For firms you generally dont have a big shot as a 1L anyway, but you should get on it either way.

For anything else you're still fine. The vast majority of my class has not started sending anything out yet and are waiting for Christmas to be over to work on resume and cover letters in order to have everything ready to send as soon as grades are out January 15th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 am

Don't wait too long. Some firms hire before grades are out. I applied December 1 and already have some offers from V100 firms.

W&MKid

Postby W&MKid » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't wait too long. Some firms hire before grades are out. I applied December 1 and already have some offers from V100 firms.

wow- congrats. they offered you a 1L summer associate position without knowing any of your grades?

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't wait too long. Some firms hire before grades are out. I applied December 1 and already have some offers from V100 firms.

No.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

wow- congrats. they offered you a 1L summer associate position without knowing any of your grades?

either liar, URM, or applied to a market like Texas

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:35 am

Not lying, not URM, not Texas. IP background with some w/e. Got an offer in major market without 1L grades (but they did want my undergrad grades). I did the basic spam applications on Dec 1 (~200 or so applications).

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not lying, not URM, not Texas. IP background with some w/e. Got an offer in major market without 1L grades (but they did want my undergrad grades). I did the basic spam applications on Dec 1 (~200 or so applications).

Dear god 200+ firms? I only sent to firms hiring 1Ls off nalp in 4 markets and came up with less than 50 firms total.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:36 am

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not lying, not URM, not Texas. IP background with some w/e. Got an offer in major market without 1L grades (but they did want my undergrad grades). I did the basic spam applications on Dec 1 (~200 or so applications).

Dear god 200+ firms? I only sent to firms hiring 1Ls off nalp in 4 markets and came up with less than 50 firms total.

I'm not the quoted anon, but I also had a large amount of applications. I didn't limit it to firms who said they were definitely hiring 1Ls in NALP since a lot said TBD or didn't really fill in that information (but generally the responses I've gotten from those firms is that they aren't hiring 1Ls)

Return to “Legal Employment”