LSAT at OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
sojuteacher
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:53 am

LSAT at OCI

Postby sojuteacher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:07 am

So I am just a bit curious about how your LSAT score figures in OCI and legal employment generally. The firm I worked at last year asked for LSAT scores.

Has scores come up during OCI or interviews? Does it matter? Only asking because I was planning on retaking, but I got into my #1 school (a huge happy surprise) with my current score. But if it will affect me down the road, I would certainly take it again. My pracs are much higher than my actual score so I'm pretty sure I could get a few more points.

Thanks in advance TLS!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:15 am

I cannot say no enough times

HITeacher2
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby HITeacher2 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:15 am

The only importance of the LSAT is that it's a predictor of your law school grades. Why would firms want that when they can have your actual law school grades?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:20 am

do you sort of want to re-take for pride reasons? could a new score put you in the running for scholarship money you wouldn't otherwise get?

i have heard of the occasional oddball interviewer asking, but it's uncommon enough that OCI alone is probably a silly reason to re-take, but if you sorta feel like it anyway, i'd do it. for me, having a good score was a confidence-booster in the darker days of first semester 1L when i started to wonder if i might be legitimately a moron.

User avatar
sojuteacher
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:53 am

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby sojuteacher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:33 am

IAFG wrote:do you sort of want to re-take for pride reasons? could a new score put you in the running for scholarship money you wouldn't otherwise get?

i have heard of the occasional oddball interviewer asking, but it's uncommon enough that OCI alone is probably a silly reason to re-take, but if you sorta feel like it anyway, i'd do it. for me, having a good score was a confidence-booster in the darker days of first semester 1L when i started to wonder if i might be legitimately a moron.


You hit the nail on the head. Really its more for pride and I am trying to find a more legitimate reason to take it again, and OCI appears not to be one. I know I sound like a dumb asshole, but I don't want to be at the 25% LSAT in my class. Ill be quiet now. Thanks all :)

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:37 am

sojuteacher wrote:
IAFG wrote:do you sort of want to re-take for pride reasons? could a new score put you in the running for scholarship money you wouldn't otherwise get?

i have heard of the occasional oddball interviewer asking, but it's uncommon enough that OCI alone is probably a silly reason to re-take, but if you sorta feel like it anyway, i'd do it. for me, having a good score was a confidence-booster in the darker days of first semester 1L when i started to wonder if i might be legitimately a moron.


You hit the nail on the head. Really its more for pride and I am trying to find a more legitimate reason to take it again, and OCI appears not to be one. I know I sound like a dumb asshole, but I don't want to be at the 25% LSAT in my class. Ill be quiet now. Thanks all :)

If it's for pride go for it (although that seems like a silly reason to me). If it's to get some other benefit out of it, then don't. If it's something that you would enjoy doing again, I suppose it can't hurt you. However, you should be aware that (assuming you are above a 151) most test takers do worse on their retake. It's simple mean regression.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:02 am

birdlaw117 wrote: However, you should be aware that (assuming you are above a 151) most test takers do worse on their retake. It's simple mean regression.


Nope, most people who retake do better. http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/ ... rtable.pdf

2LLLL
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby 2LLLL » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:08 am

You realize that the LSAT is a means to an end right? That is, you don't take the LSAT for the sake of having a high LSAT score to tattoo on your arm or something, but for the sake of getting into law school. If you're in law school already, then why add the stress of preparing for a meaningless second LSAT to the reams of stress that law school already brings?

And no- no one at OCI will ask you what your LSAT score was. Between screeners and callbacks I had over 50 half hour interviews and not a single interviewer asked. If you go out of your way to affirmatively drop your score you will sound like a douche.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby Z3RO » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:27 am

When you take the LSAT, don't you have to physically write out and sign a statement saying that you are only taking the test in order to hopefully apply to law school?

It's not like this kind of thing is enforced, but it seems contrary to the spirit of the whole thing.

User avatar
sojuteacher
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:53 am

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby sojuteacher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:35 am

Understood -- the only reason is pride at this point -- and yes not worth it in case of a lower score, stress, etc. and a bit unethical maybe... Seems clear that it does not matter at OCI.

So LSAT won't be taken again. Thanks for the answers - issue I was debating about the past few days is solved. :)

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby arism87 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:36 am

Z3RO wrote:When you take the LSAT, don't you have to physically write out and sign a statement saying that you are only taking the test in order to hopefully apply to law school?

It's not like this kind of thing is enforced, but it seems contrary to the spirit of the whole thing.


Seriously? If it's written out that's one thing, but... it's just a test. That you pay a fair amount of money for. Who cares what someone's motivation is?

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby Fresh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:40 am

Z3RO wrote:When you take the LSAT, don't you have to physically write out and sign a statement saying that you are only taking the test in order to hopefully apply to law school?

It's not like this kind of thing is enforced, but it seems contrary to the spirit of the whole thing.


Yeah you do sign a statement saying that you are taking it for the sole purpose of gaining admission to law school (which OP already did). Also, I'll guarantee that even if you retook and did much better, it still wouldn't put you in the running for scholarships, since you're already locked into their class as a 169/3.8. So it's really just down to retaking for OCI (which people seem to think is unnecessary) and retaking for pride (which the hubris of some TLSers supports..surprised?)

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:36 am

I had one TTT firm ask for my LSAT. I really don't think its common at all, and it completely caught me off guard. Since the LSAT predicts 1l success (supposedly) its a bit redundant to ask after 1l is over.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby Cavalier » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:09 am

Probably it only gets asked because the interviewer is an aspie and can't think of anything else to talk about. I doubt there are any firms that actually have a policy of requesting LSAT scores.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:19 am

Cavalier wrote:Probably it only gets asked because the interviewer is an aspie and can't think of anything else to talk about. I doubt there are any firms that actually have a policy of requesting LSAT scores.

In 2027, a Cornell 2L on a callback at DLA Piper will be nervously wringing her hands in DF's office while he grills her:
DF: LSAT?
2L: 168, sir.
DF: So barely not a retard. I see you majored in English and finished with a 3.8. Seems like any moron should manage a 4.0 in the liberal arts.
2L: I'm sorry, was that a question?
DF: So are you gonna show me your tits or are we done here?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

IAFG wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Probably it only gets asked because the interviewer is an aspie and can't think of anything else to talk about. I doubt there are any firms that actually have a policy of requesting LSAT scores.

In 2027, a Cornell 2L on a callback at DLA Piper will be nervously wringing her hands in DF's office while he grills her:
DF: LSAT?
2L: 168, sir.
DF: So barely not a retard. I see you majored in English and finished with a 3.8. Seems like any moron should manage a 4.0 in the liberal arts.
2L: I'm sorry, was that a question?
DF: So are you gonna show me your tits or are we done here?

lmfao :lol:

I can actually picture this.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:55 am

IAFG wrote:2L: 168, sir.
DF: So barely not a retard.


Well that's a relief.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: LSAT at OCI

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:30 am

IAFG wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Probably it only gets asked because the interviewer is an aspie and can't think of anything else to talk about. I doubt there are any firms that actually have a policy of requesting LSAT scores.

In 2027, a Cornell 2L on a callback at DLA Piper will be nervously wringing her hands in DF's office while he grills her:
DF: LSAT?
2L: 168, sir.
DF: So barely not a retard. I see you majored in English and finished with a 3.8. Seems like any moron should manage a 4.0 in the liberal arts.
2L: I'm sorry, was that a question?
DF: So are you gonna show me your tits or are we done here?

:lol: :lol:




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.