Misdemeanor

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Misdemeanor

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:56 pm

So I just found out that a speeding ticket I got for 86 in a 65 is a misdemeanor that is still on my record for 2006. I just answered guilty to get it over with because I was an idiot. Is this something I should deal with? Will employers look for it? (law firms, judges, etc.)

(Not sure if this is appropriate for anonymous, so sorry if it's not)

CyLaw

Re: Misdemeanor

Postby CyLaw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I just found out that a speeding ticket I got for 86 in a 65 is a misdemeanor that is still on my record for 2006. I just answered guilty to get it over with because I was an idiot. Is this something I should deal with? Will employers look for it? (law firms, judges, etc.)

Check if your law school's application question on arrest, convictions, and whatnot, require disclosure of misdemeanors. If it does and you have not already told them about this, make sure to update them with this information. When up for the bar, make sure to disclose on the character and fitness form where they ask for misdemeanors. Other than that, disclose when requested on any background check forms.

No one will care as long as your report and disclose it. People will care if you don't.

Edit: And yes, I do mean update the app question even if you are already in law school. At least at Cornell, we are under a continuing obligation to report any changes to our answers to this particular question even if it is graduation day.

Interested Observer

Re: Misdemeanor

Postby Interested Observer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I just found out that a speeding ticket I got for 86 in a 65 is a misdemeanor that is still on my record for 2006. I just answered guilty to get it over with because I was an idiot. Is this something I should deal with? Will employers look for it? (law firms, judges, etc.)

Was this an ordinary speeding ticket, or was it reckless driving? Many schools will say misdemeanors "other than minor traffic violations"; if it was just speeding, you can leave it off. Otherwise you can check with the school.

If it's a misdo, it's somewhat serious. And not all speeding is created equal. For instance, X mph over the speed limit will be presumed "reckless driving." I think when there's language that says "other than minor traffic violations," it's referring to infractions -- I don't think it'd include misdemeanors.

All in all, it's better to be safe than sorry and just report.

Return to “Legal Employment”