1L Summer Employment Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Employment Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:50 am

What are you aiming for, what's your strategy, how are you executing it, etc. General discussion on what the hell we are supposed to be doing/should have done a long time ago.

I'm a little lost myself, as I have never really had a job that required a resume/cover letter. I focused on finals and didn't worry about December 1st rolling by, and now I kinda feel like kicking myself for it. My initial thought was to grab a judicial externship that I could hopefully get credit for and subsequently receive loans to live on during the summer. But I guess these aren't as valuable as I originally thought they were for 1Ls, so I think I am going to try and target a large range of firms, from big/medium/small in both home market and school market. I feel like I am late in the game for that, though, so I don't know what to expect.

For those of you who are going either of these routes, how are you doing it? I was told to basically call up judges and ask if they are looking to take on any first year students as an extern and what I need to send out. For private firms, however, I'm not sure what to do. I'm guessing emailing them and asking if they are looking for 1L SAs might be alright. Is this appropriate?

EDIT: Sorry if this isn't "anonymous worthy" - I didn't even realize I hit the button to create an anonymous topic.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Employment Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 am

Hopefully hometown US Atty. via networking.

Mass mailing firms that offer true 1L SAs in my hometown, where I went to UG, and maybe in the city I go to law school.

What you do 1L summer isn't that helpful for OCI dude (except for 1L SAs, where you might get an offer for 2L summer). So just get something. As long as it's something legal and you can talk about it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”