Who to address in cover letter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Eruannon

Who to address in cover letter

Postby Eruannon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm starting to do some research on 1L internships and am trying to put together a list of firms I would like to apply to. Since my school is in a different state than my target region I am considering going on Martindale and trying to find partners at these firms that attended my law school, and address my cover letters to them. Is this appropriate?

g73331

Re: Who to address in cover letter

Postby g73331 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:43 pm

I don't think so. Usually, lawyer job posting will list the contact info of the attorney recruiter. Thus, send all relevant documentation to this person. In your case, however, I would email an employee who works at your potential firm, mention your connection, and see if he/she can provide you with any advice as to how to properly go about getting an interview with the firm.

ggocat

Re: Who to address in cover letter

Postby ggocat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Eruannon wrote:I'm starting to do some research on 1L internships and am trying to put together a list of firms I would like to apply to. Since my school is in a different state than my target region I am considering going on Martindale and trying to find partners at these firms that attended my law school, and address my cover letters to them. Is this appropriate?

If the firm specifies on its website or on NALP who to send an application to, I'd send it there. If they don't specify, then send the app to the partner from your school.

If you're going to be in the city next summer, that's when I would call firm partners from your school to see if you can come in and talk with them for 30 minutes about what they do, what they like about it, how they got started, etc. Better yet, try to get one of your profs to help set up the meeting.

Return to “Legal Employment”