NJ district ct vs. Appellate Division NY vs. Magistrate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which judicial internship is most prestigious for someone wanting to move back to NY?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:16 pm

NJ District Court
56%
Appellate Division of NY State Court
22%
NY Federal Magistrate
22%

Total votes: 9

Anonymous User

NJ district ct vs. Appellate Division NY vs. Magistrate

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:16 pm

I already sent in my first round of judicial internship applications to the District Courts of NY judges, I was just wondering which is the most helpful/prestigious out of: NJ District Court, Appellate Division of NY, or federal magistrate. I plan on pursuing a career in litigation and I am also hoping to transfer back to NY after 1L. I was leaning closer to Appellate Division of NY so it would give me a leg up in applying to NY law schools. Thanks for your help guys!

seespotrun

Re: NJ district ct vs. Appellate Division NY vs. Magistrate

Postby seespotrun » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:44 pm

I don't necessarily think that your summer job after 1L affects your transfer prospects at all. Just get the grades and wait to make a decision re: a judicial internship when you have some offers. Best of luck.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:42 pm

seespotrun wrote:I don't necessarily think that your summer job after 1L affects your transfer prospects at all. Just get the grades and wait to make a decision re: a judicial internship when you have some offers. Best of luck.

Thanks so much. I know it doesn't make that much of a difference I'm just sending my applications in waves because of the whole "you have to accept an offer when you get one" thing and I just didn't know which is more prestigious/helpful for the future that I should send next.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:42 pm

dood wrote:hey bro, we talking about NJ federal district court here, right?

Yes sorry for not clarifying I couldn't fit it in the title of the thread

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Prestige is irrelevant for a 1L judicial internship...seriously. I mean if all things were equal I'd take NJ district court, but what you really should be looking for during interviews is whether the judge takes an active interest in the interns, eg gives them substantive assignments, gives the interns feedback, eats lunch with them, invites them to social events, etc.

You can ask the clerk(s) about that as well as the judge during the interview. The real importance of an internship during 1L is not prestige, it's to gain some sort of legal experience for your resume and to make a good contact, the judge.

I know I probably would not be clerking next year if it weren't for the assistance of the judge I interned with during 1L, not that I'm not quite qualified to clerk at the level I'm clerking, but the whole process was comically competitive this year, actually no, it was tragically competitive.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:22 pm

if this were clerking i would say fed pwns state

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:23 pm

/ thread after gtlrev and steele reserve

Return to “Legal Employment”