Paralegal earnings?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
313D313

Bronze

Paralegal earnings??

Post by 313D313 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:20 pm

I have an interview this week for a paralegal position. The lawyer is a personal injury lawyer who is very successful locally. (Yale graduate btw)

If i get in, I will also be working translating material from a different language and for dealing with a good portion of her clientele who do not speak english.
I have no prior experience as a paralegal and i have no idea what they make. I am expecting to be asked how much i think i should be compensated etc..

Can i have some help here. What do paralegals make? what can someone like me with zero expereince expect to make?
What should i ask for without looking like a retard??

ach24

Bronze

Re: Paralegal earnings??

Post by ach24 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

313D313

Bronze

Post by 313D313 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Small firm, she is the main lawyer. I think she has one or two other lawyers helping her.
In Detroit, MI. Personal Injury

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:45 pm

313D313 wrote:I have an interview this week for a paralegal position. The lawyer is a personal injury lawyer who is very successful locally. (Yale graduate btw)

If i get in, I will also be working translating material from a different language and for dealing with a good portion of her clientele who do not speak english.
I have no prior experience as a paralegal and i have no idea what they make. I am expecting to be asked how much i think i should be compensated etc..

Can i have some help here. What do paralegals make? what can someone like me with zero expereince expect to make?

You can go on payscale.com and they can give you a better number based on location and education, buy I would say between $14-$18 and hour with maybe $1-2 more for the language skills. The lawyer can bill you for about $60, depending on the retainer.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 pm

313D313 wrote:Small firm, she is the main lawyer. I think she has one or two other lawyers helping her.
What languages? Some are way more valuable than others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

313D313

Bronze

Post by 313D313 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:48 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
313D313 wrote:I have an interview this week for a paralegal position. The lawyer is a personal injury lawyer who is very successful locally. (Yale graduate btw)

You can go on payscale.com and they can give you a better number based on location and education, buy I would say between $14-$18 and hour with maybe $1-2 more for the language skills. The lawyer can bill you for about $60, depending on the retainer.
Thank you very much. I will check it out.

313D313

Bronze

Post by 313D313 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
313D313 wrote:Small firm, she is the main lawyer. I think she has one or two other lawyers helping her.
A large number of the clients speak mostly arabic with poor english. I am very fluent in arabic, but so is the main lawyer.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:55 pm

I used to speak some Arabic. I really really want to find a way to get an LLM in Saudi Arabia, even though I think that is impossible.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Dunno how it translates to small law or Detroit, but biglaw in the medium-sized Southern city I'm from starts paralegals with zero experience at $40k.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:06 pm

313D313 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
A large number of the clients speak mostly arabic with poor english. I am very fluent in arabic, but so is the main lawyer.
I figured it was Arabic or Farsi when you said Detroit. I'd take what ever number you found was the high range of the pay scale, then add 2 t0 4 to it. Then come down from there.

Just say: "I figured you'd ask how much pay I was expecting. I researched that, and from what I saw, X number seems appropriate. I know you're a solo practitioner tough, so I understand that number may need to be negotiated down a bit."

Start high, end up up at a number that is probably close to the high end of the pay scale, profit cuz she probably wanted to pay you far less than that.

313D313

Bronze

Post by 313D313 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Do you guys think the pay scale drops a lot if the job title changes from paralegal to legal assistant?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:42 pm

You may also want to check out ONet.

313D313

Bronze

Post by 313D313 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:01 am

dextermorgan wrote:You may also want to check out ONet.
Great source! Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:04 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:29 pm

313D313 wrote:Do you guys think the pay scale drops a lot if the job title changes from paralegal to legal assistant?
If the firm has both paralegals and legal assistants, and each does separate (but sometimes overlapping) tasks, then yes, the pay scale may drop some. Usually not "a lot."

You should be paid for what you do--not less simply because the employer uses a different title. (i.e., some small firms don't have secretaries, paralegals, and legal assistants, but they have one or two of the three--it doesn't matter what they're called so long as they do the tasks meriting the pay).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”