Do recruiting managers from different offices talk?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do recruiting managers from different offices talk?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:51 pm

I was wondering if I send a resume to Dallas office of a firm saying that I particularly want to work in Dallas and then send a resume to Austin office of the same firm saying that I particularly want to work in Austin, is there a chance that the recruiters at these two offices talk about me?

Aqualibrium

Re: Do recruiting managers from different offices talk?

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:07 pm

There is a chance. They do talk. From what I know they are generally pretty friendly with one another, at least the ones in the same city are. They aren't generally gonna track down individual candidates to see if you are telling the truth or whatever, but I've heard them tell stories about sharing info before.

My advice, never put anything on paper that you wouldn't be totally comfortable with anyone seeing. You can write a cover letter that expresses your desire to be in either city without being disingenuous and saying you absolutely want to be in one or the other. Don't take the risk of doing something that is both silly and unnecessary.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:There is a chance. They do talk. From what I know they are generally pretty friendly with one another, at least the ones in the same city are. They aren't generally gonna track down individual candidates to see if you are telling the truth or whatever, but I've heard them tell stories about sharing info before.

My advice, never put anything on paper that you wouldn't be totally comfortable with anyone seeing. You can write a cover letter that expresses your desire to be in either city without being disingenuous and saying you absolutely want to be in one or the other. Don't take the risk of doing something that is both silly and unnecessary.

Perfect advice.

gfunk01

Postby gfunk01 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:39 am

Some firms have central databases that anyone in the firm can access where they post comments about interviewees. I know White and Case does this, probably a lot of others do too.

Return to “Legal Employment”