Sprucing up the ol' resume...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kobe_Teeth

Sprucing up the ol' resume...

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm probably a couple weeks late on this...I know...I don't need the lecture.

I'm looking for a non-wishy-washy way of explaining what i did as a high school english teacher. I taught in a "rough" area and would like to explain nicely and concisely in my resume how that built my leadership qualities. any ideas? i want to stay away from sounding as if my life was a damn tv special for 3 years because it wasn't. however at the same time, it was a unique experience that helped me grow in ways i doubt i could have done at many other jobs.

Here's what I'm working with (rough draft - jotting down ideas):

- Designed daily high quality lessons based on the specific abilities and strengths of my students.

- Implemented innovative writing and grammar lessons aimed at strengthening the students' critical and evaluative thinking skills. These lessons encouraged students to argue ideas rather than merely explain facts and to understand the language they speak rather than merely speak it.

- Gained leadership skills acting as the mental and emotional support system for students while continuing to challenge and test their abilities.

Any general words of advice here? The language needs polishing in place but is the general direction ok?

Kobe_Teeth

Re: Sprucing up the ol' resume...

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:13 pm

?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:19 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
- Designed daily high quality (filler word, doesn't add anything, doesn't help describe what you did) lessons based on the specific abilities and strengths of my students.

- Implemented innovative (filler word, doesn't add anything, doesn't help describe what you did) writing and grammar lessons aimed at strengthening the students' critical and evaluative thinking skills. These lessons encouraged students to argue ideas rather than merely explain facts and to understand the language they speak rather than merely speak it.

- Gained leadership skills (why would you say this? The goal is to get them to infer it from your entry. During the interview, you can say you "felt like you gained a lot of leadership skills." On your resume it just looks douchey to say.) acting as the mental and emotional support system for students while continuing to challenge and test their abilities.

You need to go back to the drawing board. Describe exactly what you did. Don't get cute. If you think your lesson plan was innovative, fine, describe what you did and let other people decide that it was innovative. You think you gained leadership skills? Fine, describe exactly what you did and let someone else come to that conclusion.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:59 pm

What no thank you?

(Insert full house "how rude" picture here)

Return to “Legal Employment”