How Long to Summer Internships Run?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How Long to Summer Internships Run?

Postby CEC1285 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm currently applying to law school and just got engaged... I have the option of having a very short engagement of 7 months and getting married before I start school, or having a longer engagement and getting married the summer after 1L. Can anyone tell me the approximate dates that internships run? Such as: 10 week internships starting June 1... or are they 12 weeks or 7 weeks? I do not want to be THAT GIRL who has to leave the internship early to get married. Don't know if this matters, but they would probably be non-paying public service types of internships... I don't know if those run differently.

Thanks for the help!

Re: How Long to Summer Internships Run?

Postby DCDuck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:13 pm

It depends on the position. A lot of places offer flexibility in setting your dates, especially if it's a smaller group of interns and unpaid. Most places are also willing to work around big commitments, like getting married. Just try to set the wedding at the beginning or end of the summer, so you can get a good chunk of uninterrupted time at the job in the middle. Most internships/summer positions seem to run about 10 weeks, give or take. And congrats!

Postby LurkerNoMore » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:46 pm

First, setting aside the work issue, I would totally take a 7 mos engagement over a nearly 2 year one. As long as you are somewhat flexible about your plans, 7 mos is pretty much the perfect amount of time to plan a wedding.

As for the work issue, it will depend on the type of work you want to do. The majority of jobs will start mid-May to the beginning of June. They can last anywhere from 6 weeks to 12 weeks. The problem you could run into is your 2L OCI, which keeps creeping up. It is not uncommon any more to finish up work and go immediately into interviewing for the next summer's job.

Postby Journeybound » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:37 am

But you also have to take into account that being a newly wed during your first year of marriage is going to suck. There were four married students, including me, in our 1L section. The two newly weds ended up divorced by their 2L year. Fortunately, I had been married for 3 years, and my wife understood that 1L wasn't permanent.

Maybe it might be nice to see if you can get through 1L, and then have the wedding. But, if you've been together for a long time, or you're confident in your relationship, then go for it. Just make sure that you pay enough attention to your spouse. If you do go ahead with the wedding during your 1L summer, try and schedule it as close as you can to the end of finals. Internships are normally 8-10 weeks, and it would probably be difficult to take a week off (you need a honey moon, right?) in the middle of the summer.

Postby CEC1285 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:02 am

I think this summer does sound better. It just seems like there's going to be too much to deal with. An in regards to being a newly wed, wouldn't it also be hard to plan a wedding from another city during 1L? Obviously one is more serious if you messed it up... Thanks for all of your help!

We've been together for 2 years (living together one) but both work very demanding jobs (consulting and investment banking). He'll also be starting his MBA when I start my 1L. We've saved up a lot of money together so hopefully that will help. He is very understanding of my schedule and I am of his. He's definitely not the type to leave me over something temporary (I studied for the LSAT every waking hour I wasn't in work for nearly 8 months and was a complete Bitch). Did you do anything special to help your wife cope? If she were the one in school, what could she have done to make it easier on you?

Return to “Legal Employment”