2L Summer Options

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
futuremrsk

2L Summer Options

Postby futuremrsk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Ok, so here is my dilemma. I am in the top 10/law journal at a decent regional law school, and am stuck with nothing for my 2L summer. I did OCI and came up with nothing, and my school's career services office is absolutely useless. I am pretty certain that part of the problem is that the employers that I interviewed with during OCI did not believe that I really wanted to stay in the area (I wouldn't mind, but I'm not sold on staying in the state where I am in school). My husband is finishing up his masters and can go pretty much anywhere when he is done, so we are open for going anywhere that we get jobs. Part of the problem is that neither of us want to return to our homestates so we don't really have "ties" to anywhere at this point, from the perspective of my potential employers. I am so frustrated that I'm not sure where to look next. I have been sending out blanket resumes to various firms and still coming up short. So I'm worried about not finding a job at all. Anybody else having a similar problem, or advice?

Aqualibrium

Re: 2L Summer Options

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Why did you wait so long to reach out? It honestly may be a bit too late for you with regards to firm work. Your best bet are the small regional firms that tend to wait until late spring to make hiring decisions so that they can better evaluate their need.

What markets did you target?

futuremrsk

Postby futuremrsk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:39 pm

I have been working with the career services office at my school and I made the mistake of listening to the CSO when she said to "trust her, she would find me something". And it has now become evident that she isn't particularly helpful. I have been targeting the Denver/Boulder area and have gotten some responses to the effect of "Contact again in the spring when we will know how many summer associates we will need." I don't have a problem with small regional firms - I would prefer it, actually.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:53 pm

futuremrsk wrote:I have been working with the career services office at my school and I made the mistake of listening to the CSO when she said to "trust her, she would find me something". And it has now become evident that she isn't particularly helpful. I have been targeting the Denver/Boulder area and have gotten some responses to the effect of "Contact again in the spring when we will know how many summer associates we will need." I don't have a problem with small regional firms - I would prefer it, actually.

Well, from the posts I've seen from CU students, employment in Denver/Boulder is really rough. Since you don't want a large/mid sized firm, and you have waited this long, the "Contact again in the spring when we will know how many summer associates we will need" is probably the best you will get. That goes for Colorado and anywhere else... you're just going to have to pray you can find something somewhere in the spring.

Return to “Legal Employment”