GULC employment in Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Peg

GULC employment in Biglaw

Postby Peg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:38 pm

0L here who is considering applying to GULC. Does GULC place in New York Biglaw and if so, which firms typically hire GULC grads? I suppose it's too much to hope for Wachtell or firms in its league? Do Cornell grads have a better chance at Wachtell-league firms?

Thanks!

nyk3

Re: GULC employment in Biglaw

Postby nyk3 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Wachtell does not recruit at either GULC or Cornell. HYPCCN and Howard.

All other New York biglaw firms do. The problem is that you're competing with a 600 person class for the same number (or smaller) of Biglaw spots as a higher ranked school with a smaller class size.

ITE, GULC is risky.

Peg

Postby Peg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:00 pm

...How did Howard randomly pop up in there? I hadn't even heard of it and just looked it up, it's a TTT. :shock:

Anyway, I am thinking of ED-ing to GULC because it's my safest shot at the T14 and Biglaw, but if it's riskier than the New York schools then that is sucky.

Okay, so Wachtell is listed as #60 on the list of 100 biggest law firms, so should prospective GULC applicants assume that anything above Wachtell (like Sullivan & Cromwell, and Cravath) are also not hiring from GULC?

dubsky

Postby dubsky » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:04 pm

bigger doesn't imply "above".

A&O

Postby A&O » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:04 pm

HYPCCN and Howard.

And UT... and Berkeley... (and there might be others too).

so should prospective GULC applicants assume that anything above Wachtell (like Sullivan & Cromwell, and Cravath) are also not hiring from GULC?

Not sure what you mean by "above Wachtell." S&C and Cravath both recruit at GULC, but you need really great grades to have a shot at either.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Peg wrote:...How did Howard randomly pop up in there? I hadn't even heard of it and just looked it up, it's a TTT. :shock:

Anyway, I am thinking of ED-ing to GULC because it's my safest shot at the T14 and Biglaw, but if it's riskier than the New York schools then that is sucky.

Okay, so Wachtell is listed as #60 on the list of 100 biggest law firms, so should prospective GULC applicants assume that anything above Wachtell (like Sullivan & Cromwell, and Cravath) are also not hiring from GULC?

Howard places above it's ranking because it is a HBCU and firms like diversity just like schools do. I doubt your career prospects are better from Howard than at the t14 if you are black though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Peg wrote:...How did Howard randomly pop up in there? I hadn't even heard of it and just looked it up, it's a TTT. :shock:

Cravath and SullCrom are less selective than Wachtell. They do recruit from GULC.

Peg

Postby Peg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:10 pm

dubsky wrote:bigger doesn't imply "above".

*Facepalm* Good point.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:12 pm

A&O wrote:
HYPCCN and Howard.

Not sure what you mean by "above Wachtell." S&C and Cravath both recruit at GULC, but you need really great grades to have a shot at either.

S&C does recruit a lot of places but most of their people come from HY, Columbia, and NYU.

@OP -- The thing you need to remember is that GULC and Cornell will give you better shots at NYC biglaw than most non-t14 schools. It is hard to make real comparisons between Cornell and GULC based on employments because the class size and Cornell's focus on NYC (which has held up best in the recession). I think Cornell is the better choice just based on NYC connections but if I were you I would try to see if there is anything else about the schools that tip the scale one way or another.

bobjr

Postby bobjr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:36 am

hahaha, Wachtell does not hire GULC grads. about 30% of the 2L class got biglaw offers at gulc this year.... probably actually a bit less than that. this does NOT mean the top 30%, but rather 30% total (being in the top 30% of the class is no guarantee of biglaw employment). do NOT go to gulc if you need to take out loans to pay for tuition.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:11 am

More than 30% got BigLaw at GULC this year. Less than 40% however, at last number.

Not sure if that figure is based on those who actually wanted/participated in EIW, or the school in general (because we do have plenty who don't want a firm).

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:More than 30% got BigLaw at GULC this year. Less than 40% however, at last number.

Not sure if that figure is based on those who actually wanted/participated in EIW, or the school in general (because we do have plenty who don't want a firm).

So that's what 150-170 people? Damn GULC has a huge class.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Yes, big class. But it's also worth noting that I have no idea how OCS has that figure. Because only those who self-reported to them about employment would be included. I know there are people without jobs, but then there are also a lot who do have one. So it's hard to give any exact data.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:57 pm

do NOT go to gulc if you need to take out loans to pay for tuition
[/quote]

I think this calls for a slightly more nuanced analysis. How much $ in loans? What are your current options? Are you willing to fall back on IBR or do puclic interest work to pay off your loans? Do you have ties/would you be willing to work in a smaller city? Do you have other options that are full tuition offers (or close) that you would be happy with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:03 pm

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the OCI data being much better than the 30-40% figure people are throwing around. Career Services (same with any law school) can easily figure out which students got callbacks and if those callbacks turned into offers.

Sure, not every GULCer wants biglaw or even wants to a work at any type of law firm, but if you honestly think there are enough non-biglaw jobs to absorb all of those people by graduation (or even bar passage) you probably don't know too much about the legal job market. Students from other schools are competing for those jobs too and GULC doesn't exactly have the market cornered on those jobs. Far from it.

Also, a significant chunk of the class of 2010 are unemployed and receiving grants to do unpaid post-graduate internships. Recently, these "grants" were extended because many people still have not found jobs. For purposes of US News, Nalp, ABA data, etc. I'm guessing all these people will be counted as "employed" even though these post-graduate internships are not real jobs. Of course most of the T14 are doing similar "jobs" programs but none of them have the class size of GULC.

C/O 2011 also had a rocky ride through OCI so my prediction is that things end up not too far off from where C/O 2010 landed.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:13 pm

hahaha, Wachtell does not hire GULC grads. about 30% of the 2L class got biglaw offers at gulc this year.... probably actually a bit less than that. this does NOT mean the top 30%, but rather 30% total (being in the top 30% of the class is no guarantee of biglaw employment). do NOT go to gulc if you need to take out loans to pay for tuition.

I really do think things will be better for people matriculating now. Quite a few more people at least got SA spots my year (class of 2010). For people who struck out or were no offered, most were able to get jobs that qualified for LRAP or 10-year IBR. I don't know anybody who had no decent prospects.

People are way harder on GULC than they should be. It really doesn't place significantly worse than the rest of the lower T14.

Return to “Legal Employment”