Few Questions For 1L Summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Few Questions For 1L Summer

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:24 pm

1) A lot of places ask for a writing sample. What should it be? My LRW memo? Or something else?

2) If they ask for references, do they mean personal references or law school professor references? I'm friendly, but I don't feel like one semester has given me enough of a relationship with any professors to ask for a recommendation.

3) My grades will not be out until end of January, and a lot of places close their applications between February 1 and 8. Should I go ahead and apply and just say "grades will be furnished as soon as they are available", or will it not make any difference?

Aqualibrium

Re: Few Questions For 1L Summer

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:03 pm

kalvano wrote:1) A lot of places ask for a writing sample. What should it be? My LRW memo? Or something else?

2) If they ask for references, do they mean personal references or law school professor references? I'm friendly, but I don't feel like one semester has given me enough of a relationship with any professors to ask for a recommendation.

3) My grades will not be out until end of January, and a lot of places close their applications between February 1 and 8. Should I go ahead and apply and just say "grades will be furnished as soon as they are available", or will it not make any difference?

1. LRW Memo

2. You should really try to get a prof, as well as a boss if you've had some real world experience. The won't really call anyway, so the professor doesnt have to be your best bud.

3. I didn't get into the whole December 1st thing. In the South (the real South anyway i.e. not Texas) it didn't seem like many firms really adhered to that either. They all wanted grades. So I would just include a transcript that lists your classes with a note that says grades will be furnished when available.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Anyone have a sample cover letter they feel like sharing?

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:40 am

kalvano wrote:Anyone have a sample cover letter they feel like sharing?

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/1147.htm
--LinkRemoved--

Return to “Legal Employment”