Southern Poverty Law Center

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Southern Poverty Law Center

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Just wondering what the general impression of the organization is. Are law student positions/internships with them considered "prestigious?" Would it be something that is respected by both PI orgs and firms?

Anonymous User

Re: Southern Poverty Law Center

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 am

Come on, not even a nibble?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Nothing at all to say?

shawty18ga

Postby shawty18ga » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:48 pm

I had a professor in undergrad whose husband was a freelance videographer and photographer, and he did some work with them. He went to a KKK rally and made a video of it I think. That's about all I know. It's not helpful, but nobody else was posting.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering what the general impression of the organization is. Are law student positions/internships with them considered "prestigious?" Would it be something that is respected by both PI orgs and firms?

I met the guy who founded the organization and had dinner with him and several of their employees a few months ago. One of the girls who was working there had just graduated from U. Chicago, so I assume it is pretty "prestigious" in the sense that it's probably competitive. Apparently they are a pretty big deal though. They are a pretty left-leaning group, but my understanding is that they are generally very well respected by PI orgs and firms.

I won't pretend to be an expert or anything, but you can feel free to PM me if you have any questions (no promises I will be helpful at all).

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:13 pm

Morris Dees? Hell yea it is impressive.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:11 am

inchoate_con wrote:Morris Dees? Hell yea it is impressive.

Impressive and gratifying. How great must it feel to go to work every day and shut down Klan groups?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:32 am

TTH wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:Morris Dees? Hell yea it is impressive.

Impressive and gratifying. How great must it feel to go to work every day and shut down Klan groups?

Thanks for the answers guys. Unfortunately, the specific project I'll be working on won't have anything to do with Klan groups :( but I'm sure it'll be fun nonetheless

Return to “Legal Employment”