Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273519
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:44 am

My understanding is that this is very rare but it might depend on the judge. Anyone hear much about it happening?

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby underdawg » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:13 pm

honestly, ask career services. if you get DQed for drugs, it is a huge egg in their face. i think some do and some don't? if some did tho, you'd think you'd hear a lot about people getting boned bc of that (more people expect to be tested for AUSA/FBI/CIA/State/etc. so less druggies apply there) and i haven't heard any stories...

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Just take a month off and take some cleanser and you will be fine.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby underdawg » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:16 pm

yeah cant imagine youd be polyed

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby Renzo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:19 pm

There's always the option of realizing pot is for kids and career pizza delivery guys, and quitting...

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby underdawg » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:20 pm

^
always the chance career services will tell you that too. but if they were smart, they'd have a list

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Renzo wrote:There's always the option of realizing pot is for kids and career pizza delivery guys, and quitting...

Even for jobs that require a polygraph test they don't usually disqualify you unless it was in the lass XX years. I even think their questions are like have you used illegal drugs in the past 5 year but might be mistaken about that.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby Renzo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:27 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Renzo wrote:There's always the option of realizing pot is for kids and career pizza delivery guys, and quitting...

Even for jobs that require a polygraph test they don't usually disqualify you unless it was in the lass XX years. I even think their questions are like have you used illegal drugs in the past 5 year but might be mistaken about that.


Depends on the job. Some federal jobs require basically no hx of drug use, some say no current use, some are in between.

But quitting now only increases your options.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby 12262010 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:28 pm

generally they will ask you on the application, but I don't know anyone who has been tested (this includes my friend and I who admitted to dabbling in the past on our applications). that being said, quit for the month before you start working to be safe... you're not in college anymore, brah.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273519
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:18 pm

booyakasha wrote:you're not in college anymore, brah.


Renzo wrote:There's always the option of realizing pot is for kids and career pizza delivery guys, and quitting...


haha, that's cute... TLS comedy hour :D

Thanks for the tips. I'd definitely quit a month before starting the actual internship, just wondering the chances of testing at an interview over winter break. They seem pretty remote.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
booyakasha wrote:you're not in college anymore, brah.


Renzo wrote:There's always the option of realizing pot is for kids and career pizza delivery guys, and quitting...


haha, that's cute... TLS comedy hour :D

Thanks for the tips. I'd definitely quit a month before starting the actual internship, just wondering the chances of testing at an interview over winter break. They seem pretty remote.


In before you get unlucky, flunk the drug test, and then get to write an incredibly lulzy application addendum in time for the Character and Fitness bar application.

Protip: The C&F Committee doesn't really care about past drug use, even though you have to disclose it (and if you choose not to disclose, and somehow get caught, it is career over). But a lot of states are serious business about drug use after you applied to law school. I'd take more than a month off, if I was you. Is getting high really worth even a 1% chance of sinking your career?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273519
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Is getting high really worth even a 1% chance of sinking your career?


Weird... maybe I'm just awestruck by the force of your rhetoric, but I don't think that your post told tell me anything I didn't already know!

If anyone can ACTUALLY contribute, even anecdotally, about whether they've heard of fed judges drug testing interns, I'd appreciate it. Cheers.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Is getting high really worth even a 1% chance of sinking your career?


Weird... maybe I'm just awestruck by the force of your rhetoric, but I don't think that your post told tell me anything I didn't already know!

If anyone can ACTUALLY contribute, even anecdotally, about whether they've heard of fed judges drug testing interns, I'd appreciate it. Cheers.


I wasn't tested. Fed Dist Judge. Didn't hear of anyone who was.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273519
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:59 am

Same w/ federal magistrate in N.D.C.A.

You'll do a basic FBI background check with prints, but didn't have any drug-related screening that I can recall. Certainly didn't do any testing.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:19 am

IDK of anyone who got tested. Still, as others have said, which option has the greater potential downside:

1.) Don't smoke marijuana for a month or so before you start work (most of which time, btw, you'll be studying for finals anyway)

2.) Test positive for marijuana and lose your 1L summer job

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Drug testing for 1L federal judicial internships

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:02 am

SBL wrote:IDK of anyone who got tested. Still, as others have said, which option has the greater potential downside:

1.) Don't smoke marijuana for a month or so before you start work (most of which time, btw, you'll be studying for finals anyway)

2.) Test positive for marijuana and lose your 1L summer job potentially tank your entire career come C&F time.


Fixed that.

Seriously, C&F boards, particularly in some states (Texas) are really, really serious business about drug use.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.