. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MBskier

New

Post by MBskier » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:54 am

Last edited by MBskier on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: Offered half summer

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:57 am

MBskier wrote:What does it mean if you work at a firm 1L summer and then are invited for a half summer your 2L summer?
That they liked you enough to bring you back, where you have the opportunity to get a post-grad offer. It's normally a half-summer (and normally the second half) because they realize that most people will want to try and get another 10-week job through OCI, then come back to them for the last 4-6 weeks. That lets you see how another firm works, while still giving them the opportunity to convince you to join their firm.

Note that this situation is more indicative of V100 firms than V20ish firms, so a top ranked firm may not be willing to give you this opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Sup Kid wrote:That they liked you enough to bring you back, where you have the opportunity to get a post-grad offer. It's normally a half-summer (and normally the second half) because they realize that most people will want to try and get another 10-week job through OCI, then come back to them for the last 4-6 weeks. That lets you see how another firm works, while still giving them the opportunity to convince you to join their firm.

Note that this situation is more indicative of V100 firms than V20ish firms, so a top ranked firm may not be willing to give you this opportunity.
Anonymous User wrote:I had heard this was basically a cold offer. So the student could tell people at OCI that they had a job offer for next summer, but wanted to try something else.
Any tiebreakers?

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Neither post is correct, though Sup Kid's post is more correct than the other.

(1) Firms that hire 1L summer associates don't necessarily require them to come back for the last 4-6 weeks during the second summer. A lot of firms let you come back during any part of the summer, and I know some let you do as little as 1 week.
(2) I'm not sure how this is "more indicative" of V100 firms. Plenty of V10s hire 1L summer associates, let them come back for a few weeks during the second summer, and let them obtain permanent offers as a result. The only firm that, I think, doesn't let 1L summer associates do this is Wachtell; with them, you must re-interview during OCI.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:00 pm

A&O wrote:Neither post is correct, though Sup Kid's post is more correct than the other.

(1) Firms that hire 1L summer associates don't necessarily require them to come back for the last 4-6 weeks during the second summer. A lot of firms let you come back during any part of the summer, and I know some let you do as little as 1 week.
(2) I'm not sure how this is "more indicative" of V100 firms. Plenty of V10s hire 1L summer associates, let them come back for a few weeks during the second summer, and let them obtain permanent offers as a result. The only firm that, I think, doesn't let 1L summer associates do this is Wachtell; with them, you must re-interview during OCI.
This was more because other firms, especially top ones in major markets, will require you to spend the first 10 weeks at their firm if you are going to split. Additionally, I put the caveat in there based on the specific situations that I know of all came from firms lower than V20, so I didn't want to mislead OP if higher ranked firms were different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”