Dinged by a firm that I did not contact

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dinged by a firm that I did not contact

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:30 pm

At the beginning of the month I mailed out a handful of targeted cover letters.

I just received a ding letter from a firm that I did NOT contact. I checked the addresses on the cover letters that I sent out and those are all correct (I've also been contacted by all but one of the targeted firms). The firm that sent me the ding letter is not in the same building as any of the other firms I contacted. Nor was it one of the firms that I researched.

The only thing I can come up with is that our CSO recently had us upload updated resumes onto Symplicity for some meet and greet event next semester.

Does anybody have any theories to explain the ding letter?

RVP11

Re: Dinged by a firm that I did not contact

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the beginning of the month I mailed out a handful of targeted cover letters.

I just received a ding letter from a firm that I did NOT contact. I checked the addresses on the cover letters that I sent out and those are all correct (I've also been contacted by all but one of the targeted firms). The firm that sent me the ding letter is not in the same building as any of the other firms I contacted. Nor was it one of the firms that I researched.

The only thing I can come up with is that our CSO recently had us upload updated resumes onto Symplicity for some meet and greet event next semester.

I don't have any theories, but I think you should spend a lot more time thinking about this.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:42 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the beginning of the month I mailed out a handful of targeted cover letters.

I don't have any theories, but I think you should spend a lot more time thinking about this.

+1. Theorize!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 pm

RVP11 wrote:

How much time do you think I should spend thinking about this?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:49 pm

I spent some time trying to figure out why it matters but couldn't come up with any reasons. Anyone have any idea why?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:49 pm

Could have been from an earlier resume collect on symplicity that you forgot about. I've had that happen before.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm with RVP- Some serious time and effort needs to go into figuring this out. Definitely abandon the job search until you can make some decent headway finding out exactly what happened here and why. Report back, please.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:37 pm

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkarmour

Postby darkarmour » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:39 pm

dood wrote:yes, your shitness as a candidate transcended the boundaries of the time space continuum, getting u auto-rejected light years before u contact them.

lol @ the use of "light years" as a measurement of time.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Just send them an email accepting their offer. You may also want to negotiate a higher starting salary & get clarification regarding your start date.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:45 pm

dood wrote:
darkarmour wrote:
dood wrote:yes, your shitness as a candidate transcended the boundaries of the time space continuum, getting u auto-rejected light years before u contact them.

lol @ u pointing out the distinction.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Just send them an email accepting their offer. You may also want to negotiate a higher starting salary & get clarification regarding your start date.

:lol:

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:48 pm

cool story brah

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Just send them an email accepting their offer. You may also want to negotiate a higher starting salary & get clarification regarding your start date.

HAHA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:14 pm

I received a ding like this as well. GULC automatically sent resumes to the top 20 names on our OCI bid list. Many of those firms processed our resumes and sent us rejection letters. Does your school do something similar?

darkarmour

Postby darkarmour » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:05 pm

dood wrote:
darkarmour wrote:

lol @ u pointing out the distinction.

light years...
Last edited by darkarmour on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 pm

This. Definitely this.

linquest

Postby linquest » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:31 am

Was this a BigLaw firm? Same thing happened to me during 3L. I think this particular firm got a hold of my resume because my resume was included in a book of student resumes that was distributed to attorneys at a networking event. I thought it was hilarious because I was only applying to public interest and plaintiff-side jobs; I think I even wrote that in an "Objective" line on my resume since I knew the book would be distributed to different kinds of orgs.

As I understand it, it's fairly common for large firms to get resumes from a variety of sources to screen resumes from non-OCI schools or otherwise qualified applicants that for some reason didn't get an interview at a school where they did do OCI. The firms' HR/Recruiting people scan the resumes into a database, pull the contact info, and then mail merge form rejection letters to anyone they didn't end up offering interviews to.

Your guess about your resume getting pulled through Symplicity is probably correct. If that's the case, your CSO would probably confirm if you just asked. Thought I'd add a serious reply since I understand burning curiousity ;)

Return to “Legal Employment”