I'm a female and I'll be 29 when I graduate...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JennBNYC

I'm a female and I'll be 29 when I graduate...

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:20 pm

As the subject says, I'm female and I'll be 29 when I graduate (currently 0L). Does anyone think that will make it harder for me to find employment? I'm by no means racing to have children, but will employers subconsciously think I'm a bigger risk to employ because they expect me to be less dedicated and want to have children asap? I know discriminating based on age and gender is a no-no, but does that seem to be an issue women face in the legal job market?

Aqualibrium

Re: I'm a female and I'll be 29 when I graduate...

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 pm

JennBNYC wrote:As the subject says, I'm female and I'll be 29 when I graduate (currently 0L). Does anyone think that will make it harder for me to find employment? I'm by no means racing to have children, but will employers subconsciously think I'm a bigger risk to employ because they expect me to be less dedicated and want to have children asap? I know discriminating based on age and gender is a no-no, but does that seem to be an issue women face in the legal job market?

I think to some extent you have the ability to control any potential negative inference about yourself in interviews.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:48 pm

So you'll be around 33 when you graduate law school? Eh idk even though you most likely will be taking maternity leave sometime over the next 7-8 years (if you have children) but that doesn't mean you are less dedicated. In my mind it would be a good thing since if you do happen to make partner you will already have had your children and we would know how your priorities have changed vs. the woman we hired at 25 and made partner at 33.... you know if that was allowed to enter into the decision.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:51 pm

I think you mean you will be 29 when you graduate? It definitely won't hurt! I don't think law firms love having 25 yr olds, fresh out of college then law school. They don't mind it and there are so many of those but they appreciate people who are a few years older, more mature, more experience actually working, etc.

Don't worry about it at all.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:55 pm

FWIW, I'll be 31. (Okay, that looks weird when I write it out.) I'm really not worried about it.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:58 pm

AlanShore wrote:I think you mean you will be 29 when you graduate? It definitely won't hurt! I don't think law firms love having 25 yr olds, fresh out of college then law school. They don't mind it and there are so many of those but they appreciate people who are a few years older, more mature, more experience actually working, etc.

Don't worry about it at all.

I don't agree. From everything I've seen in OCI, being old = bad, having experience = good. Those two are not one and the same.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Sorry if I was unclear, but I'm 25 now and will be 29 when I'm done my third year. Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling better about it now :-).

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:45 pm

JennBNYC wrote:As the subject says, I'm female and I'll be 29 when I graduate (currently 0L). Does anyone think that will make it harder for me to find employment? I'm by no means racing to have children, but will employers subconsciously think I'm a bigger risk to employ because they expect me to be less dedicated and want to have children asap? I know discriminating based on age and gender is a no-no, but does that seem to be an issue women face in the legal job market?

Well, it definitely won't be subconscious.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:56 pm

Cut your hair short and let a rainbow braclet flash once or twice from under your sleeve.
jk
It won't hurt. my sister did the same thing without any problems. 30 graduate, 33 child, no issues.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:06 pm

sophia.olive wrote:

Cut your hair short and let a rainbow braclet flash once or twice from under your sleeve.
jk
It won't hurt. my sister did the same thing without any problems. 30 graduate, 33 child, no issues.

LOL. Well, I WAS thinking about cutting my really long hair into a bob, hmm...... haha

That's good to hear, thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:11 pm

A woman at my school scored a DC V50 SA position despite being very visibly pregnant through the entirety of OCI season

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:12 pm

How would they know that you don't have children already? It's not information that they can ask or that you would volunteer. Don't worry about it--you haven't even started school yet.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A woman at my school scored a DC V50 SA position despite being very visibly pregnant through the entirety of OCI season

in all honesty, why not? the timing's just about perfect.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:48 pm

The majority of my class will graduate somewhere between 27 and 30. Yer cool.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:06 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A woman at my school scored a DC V50 SA position despite being very visibly pregnant through the entirety of OCI season

i hear kids need to be taken care of for a few yrs after they're born, esp. during the pre-toddler yrs :(

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:21 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

i hear kids need to be taken care of for a few yrs after they're born, esp. during the pre-toddler yrs :(

MY sister flew over a european nanny to take care of the kid in addition to the father.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 pm

2 female friends who did OCI this year: one is sixth mo's pregnant and one has 2 young kids -- they both did fine.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:32 pm

depends how you look actually. dont need another fat curly haired nyuer.

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:33 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

MY sister flew over a european nanny to take care of the kid in addition to the father.

TCR, kids get a nanny until they are 11-13, then it's off to TASIS.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:24 am

amyLAchemist wrote:I'll also be 29 when I graduate, and 30 by the time I start working. I don't think it will hurt you, but I would be prepared to deal with it in interviews. I was surprised how a good deal of my interviews were so different than my male peers.

As soon as someone (usually a middle-aged duder) would start going on and on about child care, flex-time, part-time, non-partner tracks, and other inapplicable women and family stuff, I would wait for a polite pause and inform them I wasn't interested in such things and would be interested in pursuing partner track if I came to their firm. And then I would ask a question about their patent litigation practice (what I do actually care about) to get back on track. Although this was borderline too ballsy, it was surprisingly well-received, saved wasting previous interview time, and perhaps dispelled any concerns at the same time.

Ballsy, but that's great! Good for you :-).

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:40 am

testmachine45 wrote:depends how you look actually. dont need another fat curly haired nyuer.

Not really what the anon feature is for.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:17 am

Really won't matter. you're not that old.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:22 am

sophia.olive wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

Hired a Eurpoean nanny to take care of the kid and the father. How very modern of her!

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:51 am

Wait; Law firms hire women as attorneys? Where the fuck have I been?

In all seriousness, no one will care. Have no fear; you'll most likely be unemployed for entirely non-discriminatory reasons.

Return to “Legal Employment”