1L Summer Job Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Job Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:18 pm

When can 1Ls who applied on 12/1 expect to start hearing from private firms about interviews for summer positions?

I know landing such positions is a long shot to begin with but I'm starting to worry at what point I should start worrying and broaden my summer job search beyond the private sector. I'm an HYS 1L who sent out application materials to various firms on 12/1.

conn09

Re: 1L Summer Job Hunt

Postby conn09 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:35 pm

my time last year varied from 15 minutes for a no until about July for a no.
Callbacks ranged from 5-6 days to about 2 weeks.

For clarity purposes. I'm from HYS.
Last edited by conn09 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:13 pm

TOP 30 guy here, so I am obviously no match for you. I sent out 40 paper resumes in my region on 12/1. So far 2 places asked for grades and about 14 rejected. I tried contacting alums and I actually have two alum partners meetings in the second half of december, and one teleconference to discuss my background.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:When can 1Ls who applied on 12/1 expect to start hearing from private firms about interviews for summer positions?

I know landing such positions is a long shot to begin with but I'm starting to worry at what point I should start worrying and broaden my summer job search beyond the private sector. I'm an HYS 1L who sent out application materials to various firms on 12/1.

I'm in same boat as you (T5 1L) and I sent out a few on 12/1. I only applied to the V5 firms so far. One sent a letter saying that they aren't hiring 1Ls this year and to reapply next year, 1 sent an email requesting me to send grades or notify them if i have another job offer deadline, and I haven't heard a peep from the 3 others. I'd expect that most firms who are taking 1Ls are going to wait until grades for non-URMS (since they'll have a better assessment of their needs around that time anyway). When I have time over break I'll set a much wider net for firms.

The other exception seems to be if its a hometown firm in a secondary market that you applied to.. a few of those seem to interview 1Ls over winter break when they are home and can visit in person. Unfortunately, I'm from a primary market so I don't have this option

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:57 am

honestly, does a really prestigious 1L job matter much more than an unprestigious legal job?

my understanding is that it is all about 2L summer and that legal employers just want to make sure you did something legal related your first summer...

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:59 am

gwuorbust wrote:honestly, does a really prestigious 1L job matter much more than an unprestigious legal job?

my understanding is that it is all about 2L summer and that legal employers just want to make sure you did something legal related your first summer...

TITCR

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:59 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:honestly, does a really prestigious 1L job matter much more than an unprestigious legal job?

TITCR

No, but one that gives you money to pay the bills for 2L is certainly nice.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 pm

I don't think it "matters" much more...to me that would mean it was something that was necessary for success. I do think it helps a lot though. RA's, Judicial Externs, and people that take classes during the summer are a dime a dozen. If you can get paying work at a well respected firm, you distinguish yourself from probably 80% or more of the applicant pool come 2L OCI. You also get the ability to talk more confidently about what it is you want to do in the practice of law, and the peace of mind of knowing you have an offer or two on the table before OCI even starts.

If you can't get paying work at a good firm, don't be bummed, most people wont either. If you can, jump at the opportunity, and learn as much as you can about working in the firm environment.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm thinking about working at a firm (unpaid, but I have my choice of two different firms) in Panama for four weeks, study abroad in Brazil for two weeks, then work at a firm in Brazil for four weeks (unpaid and I haven't looked for a firm yet). I can swing it in terms of money since my business is still bringing in income. There isn't some reason this plan would torpedo my 2L chances, is there?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:50 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I'm thinking about working at a firm (unpaid, but I have my choice of two different firms) in Panama for four weeks, study abroad in Brazil for two weeks, then work at a firm in Brazil for four weeks (unpaid and I haven't looked for a firm yet). I can swing it in terms of money since my business is still bringing in income. There isn't some reason this plan would torpedo my 2L chances, is there?

Don't see why it would. It's legal work, it's something interesting to talk about. It's not really firm work in the sense I was talking about, but again, not having that specific experience isn't going to hurt you.

The only problem I see with that plan is the inability to participate in job fairs (which won't really matter unless you're female, Latino, or otherwise diverse). I know you're at Tulane, so one that immediately jumps out is the Louisiana State Bar Job Fair. I got 4 offers from that before OCI even started at my school. Then there is the SEMJF and others. I wouldn't miss out on any of those if I were you, but for some, the experience of getting out of the country is worth it.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:I'm thinking about working at a firm (unpaid, but I have my choice of two different firms) in Panama for four weeks, study abroad in Brazil for two weeks, then work at a firm in Brazil for four weeks (unpaid and I haven't looked for a firm yet). I can swing it in terms of money since my business is still bringing in income. There isn't some reason this plan would torpedo my 2L chances, is there?

Don't see why it would. It's legal work, it's something interesting to talk about. It's not really firm work in the sense I was talking about, but again, not having that specific experience isn't going to hurt you.

The only problem I see with that plan is the inability to participate in job fairs (which won't really matter unless you're female, Latino, or otherwise diverse). I know you're at Tulane, so one that immediately jumps out is the Louisiana State Bar Job Fair. I got 4 offers from that before OCI even started at my school. Then there is the SEMJF and others. I wouldn't miss out on any of those if I were you, but for some, the experience of getting out of the country is worth it.

getting out of the country will be cool, but its not that important. (though it is mildly important that I go to Panama). White male is not going to get me far in terms of diversity. Counting on grades, contacts and OCI to pull me, or I'm prob going to end up working in Miami on offshore banking.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:01 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

getting out of the country will be cool, but its not that important. (though it is mildly important that I go to Panama). White male is not going to get me far in terms of diversity. Counting on grades, contacts and OCI to pull me, or I'm prob going to end up working in Miami on offshore banking.

Please don't count on OCI. Not at Tulane, and not at any school not in the top 10 or so (even then I still think it's a bad idea to count solely on OCI). This summer you should work with OCS to craft your cover letters and resume, research and target specific firms in markets you want to work, and have all that stuff mailed out by the middle/end of July.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Please don't count on OCI. Not at Tulane, and not at any school not in the top 10 or so (even then I still think it's a bad idea to count solely on OCI). This summer you should work with OCS to craft your cover letters and resume, research and target specific firms in markets you want to work, and have all that stuff mailed out by the middle/end of July.

pssh, I'm not that much of a n00b. :lol: I'm going to try for OCI, but my main plan is to use my contacts..which should be able to get me interviews (from there it is on me, but that is how it goes, of course).

I'm going to target some specific firms. based on my business background, I think being specific in my search will be much more effective than massive resume bomb.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:17 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

pssh, I'm not that much of a n00b. :lol: I'm going to try for OCI, but my main plan is to use my contacts..which should be able to get me interviews (from there it is on me, but that is how it goes, of course).

I'm going to target some specific firms. based on my business background, I think being specific in my search will be much more effective than massive resume bomb.

I agree. Good luck.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Mailed out: 12/3
Heard back from 3 firms on or before (all wanting to schedule an interview): 12/9
Granted, I'm a URM . . . so yeah.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:13 pm

mailed stuff mostly Dec 1 sent a smattering since then heard back from 2 firms in major markets. URM as well. How long until I can be pretty sure I am not hearing back from a firm? 2 weeks? 3?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:25 pm

rupert.pupkin wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

TITCR

No, but one that gives you money to pay the bills for 2L is certainly nice.

yeah, gwuorbust would have it right if 30k were not what it is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Non-URM HYS 1L here. I applied to about 50 firm positions in NYC and DC between 12/1 and 12/7, based on indications on NALP that they might be considering 1L candidates. Have heard back from a handful about how they are not hiring 1Ls. Have also received requests for more information from 3-4 others, as well as requests to submit applications for non-NYC/DC offices. So far, one interview and one offer at a small but well-known firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Non-URM HYS 1L here. I applied to about 50 firm positions in NYC and DC between 12/1 and 12/7, based on indications on NALP that they might be considering 1L candidates. Have heard back from a handful about how they are not hiring 1Ls. Have also received requests for more information from 3-4 others, as well as requests to submit applications for non-NYC/DC offices. So far, one interview and one offer at a small but well-known firm.

How many years out of UG and what general WE?

And I assume you're at Y since I can't imagine any firm giving out offers without seeing 1st sem grades...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Non-URM HYS 1L here. I applied to about 50 firm positions in NYC and DC between 12/1 and 12/7, based on indications on NALP that they might be considering 1L candidates. Have heard back from a handful about how they are not hiring 1Ls. Have also received requests for more information from 3-4 others, as well as requests to submit applications for non-NYC/DC offices. So far, one interview and one offer at a small but well-known firm.

How many years out of UG and what general WE?

And I assume you're at Y since I can't imagine any firm giving out offers without seeing 1st sem grades...

Not going to out myself, but that's not true - I know 1Ls at two HYS schools who already have offers...previous WE helps, as does considering firms in a variety of sizes in a variety of markets.

Return to “Legal Employment”