Judicial Externships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Judicial Externships

Postby A'nold » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:07 pm

Are these at all valuable to your resume (federal)?

Anonymous User

Re: Judicial Externships

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:16 am

I'm doing one right now. If you're like me and don't have much professional work experience, it could be a good idea. I don't think it's particularly "prestigious" or anything though.

I'm doing it to knock some menial jobs off my resume, improve my writing, and have something to talk about during clerkship interviews.

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:49 am

They are more valuable than not doing one at all! And, as the above poster pointed out, they do help you develop writing skills and see the judicial process at work.

Now, if you are asking if a judicial externship is more valuable than another kind of externship, that all depends on what you want to do with your law degree. If you have a fair idea of the sort of work you'd like to be doing, it would be far more valuable to find an externship that will expose you to that kind of work. (Interested in environmental law? Get an externship with Earthjustice. Et cetera.)

But in the absence of other externship opportunities, by all means, go with the judicial externship -- it's definitely a great experience.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:04 am

warumnicht wrote:They are more valuable than not doing one at all! And, as the above poster pointed out, they do help you develop writing skills and see the judicial process at work.

Now, if you are asking if a judicial externship is more valuable than another kind of externship, that all depends on what you want to do with your law degree. If you have a fair idea of the sort of work you'd like to be doing, it would be far more valuable to find an externship that will expose you to that kind of work. (Interested in environmental law? Get an externship with Earthjustice. Et cetera.)

But in the absence of other externship opportunities, by all means, go with the judicial externship -- it's definitely a great experience.

Thanks. :) I guess I could have been more specific: A bankruptcy externship and bk is one of two possible fields I am truly interested in and pursuing.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:47 am

It will be valuable to you. No one else will care too much either way.

Return to “Legal Employment”