TFA and Law School Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arism87

Silver

Re: TFA and Law School

Post by arism87 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I had a terrible TFA experience for many reasons that have already been mentioned (pushed, sexually harassed-staff and students, money stolen, death threats, etc.) . I also had friends who had wonderful experiences. It really depends on the school that you are in and very much on your principal. Go visit a classroom in a high performing charter school for a day, ask the teachers about their workloads, how the feel, etc. Then go visit a classroom in the absolute worst high school in the region (the one in the news, with the gang fights, arson, the alternative school, or whatever) and watch some classes and spend 20 minutes in the hallway seeing how the administration deals with the school as a whole. Realize that you could end up with EITHER ONE of these placements and you have no control over it. Make sure that you could survive in the most chaotic, violent, disorganized setting before you sign up. Hopefully that won't be your placement, but if you couldn't do it for two years then do not do TFA.
Yeah, that's what TFA wants you to think. At least in my region, they told us you have to take the first job we were offered. YOU DON'T. If you are going to do TFA, the one piece of advice I would give is: CHOOSE YOUR SCHOOL WISELY.

Perhaps that's not the case in all regions, idk.

(Agree with the rest of your post though)

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:11 am

arism87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I had a terrible TFA experience for many reasons that have already been mentioned (pushed, sexually harassed-staff and students, money stolen, death threats, etc.) . I also had friends who had wonderful experiences. It really depends on the school that you are in and very much on your principal. Go visit a classroom in a high performing charter school for a day, ask the teachers about their workloads, how the feel, etc. Then go visit a classroom in the absolute worst high school in the region (the one in the news, with the gang fights, arson, the alternative school, or whatever) and watch some classes and spend 20 minutes in the hallway seeing how the administration deals with the school as a whole. Realize that you could end up with EITHER ONE of these placements and you have no control over it. Make sure that you could survive in the most chaotic, violent, disorganized setting before you sign up. Hopefully that won't be your placement, but if you couldn't do it for two years then do not do TFA.
Yeah, that's what TFA wants you to think. At least in my region, they told us you have to take the first job we were offered. YOU DON'T. If you are going to do TFA, the one piece of advice I would give is: CHOOSE YOUR SCHOOL WISELY.

Perhaps that's not the case in all regions, idk.

(Agree with the rest of your post though)
This is so credited, and god I wish I'd known. If you're going to do that godfuckingawful program, KNOW WHEN THEY'RE LYING TO YOU BECAUSE THEY'LL DO IT ALL THE DAMN TIME. You have a lot more control over your placement than they suggest.

Also, to the guy who said that TFA is the most wonderful thing you can do for your law school apps next to curing cancer... just can it. Yes, it's a nice soft factor. You know what's an even better soft factor? 2 more LSAT points on retake. And that won't take 2 years.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
nealric wrote:Do you want to teach or not?

Don't do it for your resume or you will be miserable. Actually, you will probably be miserable regardless but at least if you are doing it for the kids you will feel good about yourself at the end of the day.
Yeah, I want to teach, but I also want law school.
This is very helpful info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”