firms that care about 2L grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby dood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:15 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Absent poor work product/performance, a firm isn't going to spend $30k+ on you for a summer only to no-offer you because you got a B in your law & unicorns seminar.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby Cavalier » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:39 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Sullcrom no-offered me for getting a B+ in fed courts my 2L year.

I hope this is a joke.

Nope, it's true. They told me that they didn't need me since they could fill their incoming class entirely with people who got an A- or better in fed courts. Thankfully, I was able to get a job with Cahill during 3L OGI.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby RVP11 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:59 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Absent poor work product/performance, a firm isn't going to spend $30k+ on you for a summer only to no-offer you because you got a B in your law & unicorns seminar.


What about a C+ in Bankruptcy? This might be pertinent to my situation.

Only half joking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273443
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:56 am

what about weil gotshal?

User avatar
ZXCVBNM
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby ZXCVBNM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:59 am

Cavalier wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Sullcrom no-offered me for getting a B+ in fed courts my 2L year.

I hope this is a joke.

Nope, it's true. They told me that they didn't need me since they could fill their incoming class entirely with people who got an A- or better in fed courts. Thankfully, I was able to get a job with Cahill during 3L OGI.

i think it's awesome that some peopel think you are serious

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:46 am

dood wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any thoughts about firms in the sidley/latham/white&case range?


Dangerous and Desperately Clinging to Remaining Prestige?


na, latham is secure EVEN IF u fuck up. they are desperate to erase the term "lathamed" from the history books asap, and are doing anything to restore their prestige - including 100% offering SAs.

playing with conflagrations

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 am

Cavalier wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Sullcrom no-offered me for getting a B+ in fed courts my 2L year.

I hope this is a joke.

Nope, it's true. They told me that they didn't need me since they could fill their incoming class entirely with people who got an A- or better in fed courts. Thankfully, I was able to get a job with Cahill during 3L OGI.



With Cahill doubling market bonuses these days, that unfortunate B+ may have been your ticket to a larger bottom line!

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 am

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any thoughts about firms in the sidley/latham/white&case range?


Dangerous and Desperately Clinging to Remaining Prestige?

I'm guessing you didn't end up going with the NLJ250 in your hometown then...

To the OP, all you're going to get here is fruitless speculation, bullshit, and admonishments about using the search. The best thing I've ever heard on this topic is this: If your firm is looking to no-offer you anyway, and your grades dropped, look out. If they're looking to hire you, you're good. So bust your ass and make sure that by the end of the summer, they're looking for excuses to hire you.

Plus which, firms don't intimately know the curve at each school, so they might not see a "big" drop as too big a deal. Going from 3.5 to 3.3 at my school would take you from about top-10% to top-35%, but I bet most firms would look at that and say "eh, 0.2, who cares?" Just do your best and quit spazzin.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby A&O » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Why is that strange? I thought that for people interested in NYC Paul Weiss was the holy grail (only grail?) for litigation work not related to wall street (outside of Cravath)?


This is just wrong. Paul Weiss has been tapped for major litigation related to the financial crisis, including work connected to Wall Street. In fact, that's probably 90% of what they're doing right now.

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any thoughts about firms in the sidley/latham/white&case range?


Dangerous and Desperately Clinging to Remaining Prestige?


It's difficult to tell whether you're joking or not. Sidley Austin and (yes, even) Latham enjoy a significant degree of prestige in the legal profession. It's fairly myopic to think that your perspective, that of a law student, represents what associates and partners think of these firms, and even what future law students will think of these firms when they interview. At the end of the day, both firms have an extremely talented partnership and are very well respected. Partners at other firms and general counsel of corporations don't really care that Latham laid off first years; in fact, a few of them possibly lauded the firms in private for such a shrewd move.

As an example: Latham pretty much did the same thing during the recession of the 90s. Didn't seem to prevent them from becoming the "cool firm" three years ago. Law students have short attention spans.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273443
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:33 pm

A&O wrote:
Why is that strange? I thought that for people interested in NYC Paul Weiss was the holy grail (only grail?) for litigation work not related to wall street (outside of Cravath)?


This is just wrong. Paul Weiss has been tapped for major litigation related to the financial crisis, including work connected to Wall Street. In fact, that's probably 90% of what they're doing right now.

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any thoughts about firms in the sidley/latham/white&case range?


Dangerous and Desperately Clinging to Remaining Prestige?


It's difficult to tell whether you're joking or not. Sidley Austin and (yes, even) Latham enjoy a significant degree of prestige in the legal profession. It's fairly myopic to think that your perspective, that of a law student, represents what associates and partners think of these firms, and even what future law students will think of these firms when they interview. At the end of the day, both firms have an extremely talented partnership and are very well respected. Partners at other firms and general counsel of corporations don't really care that Latham laid off first years; in fact, a few of them possibly lauded the firms in private for such a shrewd move.

As an example: Latham pretty much did the same thing during the recession of the 90s. Didn't seem to prevent them from becoming the "cool firm" three years ago. Law students have short attention spans.

Paul Weiss is TTT. Paul Mitchell, on the other hand...

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby RVP11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:41 pm

A&O wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any thoughts about firms in the sidley/latham/white&case range?


Dangerous and Desperately Clinging to Remaining Prestige?


It's difficult to tell whether you're joking or not. Sidley Austin and (yes, even) Latham enjoy a significant degree of prestige in the legal profession. It's fairly myopic to think that your perspective, that of a law student, represents what associates and partners think of these firms, and even what future law students will think of these firms when they interview. At the end of the day, both firms have an extremely talented partnership and are very well respected. Partners at other firms and general counsel of corporations don't really care that Latham laid off first years; in fact, a few of them possibly lauded the firms in private for such a shrewd move.

As an example: Latham pretty much did the same thing during the recession of the 90s. Didn't seem to prevent them from becoming the "cool firm" three years ago. Law students have short attention spans.


COOL STORY BRO.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby A&O » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby RVP11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:44 pm

A&O wrote:Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?


No you.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby A&O » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:45 pm

RVP is mad.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 pm

A&O wrote:Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?

I think his point (such as there was one) was that it wasn't all that difficult to tell that he was joking...

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby A&O » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 pm

SBL wrote:
A&O wrote:Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?

I think his point (such as there was one) was that it wasn't all that difficult to tell that he was joking...


Of course. Hence my question.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby dood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:09 pm

A&O wrote:Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?


he contributes to the marketplace of ideas

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:16 pm

dood wrote:
A&O wrote:Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?


he contributes to the marketplace of ideas

Marketplace of ideas may be the most absurd idea to have not been widely seen as absurd.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:34 pm

A&O wrote:Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?

*browses Legal Employment forum for significant contributions*
*finds nothing*

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby Cavalier » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:26 pm

I don't think I've made a significant contribution either.

Attention 0Ls: Don't go to law school.

OK, now I have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273443
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:03 pm

RVP11 wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Absent poor work product/performance, a firm isn't going to spend $30k+ on you for a summer only to no-offer you because you got a B in your law & unicorns seminar.


What about a C+ in Bankruptcy? This might be pertinent to my situation.

Only half joking.


Curious about this as well, although in the context of a 3L suffering offer rescission.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273443
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 pm

i think 3L with a post-summer offer is infinitely safer than 2L with only a summer offer.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:i think 3L with a post-summer offer is infinitely safer than 2L with only a summer offer.


In the sense that a 3L with a post-summer offer is infinitely safe?

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Postby A&O » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:34 am

...that was brilliant.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.