firms that care about 2L grades Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dood

Gold

Re: firms that care about 2L grades

Post by dood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Last edited by dood on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Absent poor work product/performance, a firm isn't going to spend $30k+ on you for a summer only to no-offer you because you got a B in your law & unicorns seminar.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:39 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Sullcrom no-offered me for getting a B+ in fed courts my 2L year.
I hope this is a joke.
Nope, it's true. They told me that they didn't need me since they could fill their incoming class entirely with people who got an A- or better in fed courts. Thankfully, I was able to get a job with Cahill during 3L OGI.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:59 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Absent poor work product/performance, a firm isn't going to spend $30k+ on you for a summer only to no-offer you because you got a B in your law & unicorns seminar.
What about a C+ in Bankruptcy? This might be pertinent to my situation.

Only half joking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:56 am

what about weil gotshal?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:59 am

Cavalier wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Sullcrom no-offered me for getting a B+ in fed courts my 2L year.
I hope this is a joke.
Nope, it's true. They told me that they didn't need me since they could fill their incoming class entirely with people who got an A- or better in fed courts. Thankfully, I was able to get a job with Cahill during 3L OGI.
i think it's awesome that some peopel think you are serious

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:46 am

dood wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any thoughts about firms in the sidley/latham/white&case range?
Dangerous and Desperately Clinging to Remaining Prestige?
na, latham is secure EVEN IF u fuck up. they are desperate to erase the term "lathamed" from the history books asap, and are doing anything to restore their prestige - including 100% offering SAs.
playing with conflagrations

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 am

Cavalier wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
I hope this is a joke.

With Cahill doubling market bonuses these days, that unfortunate B+ may have been your ticket to a larger bottom line!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 am

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any thoughts about firms in the sidley/latham/white&case range?
I'm guessing you didn't end up going with the NLJ250 in your hometown then...

To the OP, all you're going to get here is fruitless speculation, bullshit, and admonishments about using the search. The best thing I've ever heard on this topic is this: If your firm is looking to no-offer you anyway, and your grades dropped, look out. If they're looking to hire you, you're good. So bust your ass and make sure that by the end of the summer, they're looking for excuses to hire you.

Plus which, firms don't intimately know the curve at each school, so they might not see a "big" drop as too big a deal. Going from 3.5 to 3.3 at my school would take you from about top-10% to top-35%, but I bet most firms would look at that and say "eh, 0.2, who cares?" Just do your best and quit spazzin.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Why is that strange? I thought that for people interested in NYC Paul Weiss was the holy grail (only grail?) for litigation work not related to wall street (outside of Cravath)?
This is just wrong. Paul Weiss has been tapped for major litigation related to the financial crisis, including work connected to Wall Street. In fact, that's probably 90% of what they're doing right now.
RVP11 wrote:
It's difficult to tell whether you're joking or not. Sidley Austin and (yes, even) Latham enjoy a significant degree of prestige in the legal profession. It's fairly myopic to think that your perspective, that of a law student, represents what associates and partners think of these firms, and even what future law students will think of these firms when they interview. At the end of the day, both firms have an extremely talented partnership and are very well respected. Partners at other firms and general counsel of corporations don't really care that Latham laid off first years; in fact, a few of them possibly lauded the firms in private for such a shrewd move.

As an example: Latham pretty much did the same thing during the recession of the 90s. Didn't seem to prevent them from becoming the "cool firm" three years ago. Law students have short attention spans.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:33 pm

A&O wrote:
Why is that strange? I thought that for people interested in NYC Paul Weiss was the holy grail (only grail?) for litigation work not related to wall street (outside of Cravath)?
This is just wrong. Paul Weiss has been tapped for major litigation related to the financial crisis, including work connected to Wall Street. In fact, that's probably 90% of what they're doing right now.
RVP11 wrote:
It's difficult to tell whether you're joking or not. Sidley Austin and (yes, even) Latham enjoy a significant degree of prestige in the legal profession. It's fairly myopic to think that your perspective, that of a law student, represents what associates and partners think of these firms, and even what future law students will think of these firms when they interview. At the end of the day, both firms have an extremely talented partnership and are very well respected. Partners at other firms and general counsel of corporations don't really care that Latham laid off first years; in fact, a few of them possibly lauded the firms in private for such a shrewd move.

As an example: Latham pretty much did the same thing during the recession of the 90s. Didn't seem to prevent them from becoming the "cool firm" three years ago. Law students have short attention spans.
Paul Weiss is TTT. Paul Mitchell, on the other hand...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:41 pm

A&O wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

COOL STORY BRO.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:44 pm

A&O wrote:Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?
No you.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:45 pm

RVP is mad.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 pm

A&O wrote:Serious Question: Does RVP actually make a significant contribution to this place?
I think his point (such as there was one) was that it wasn't all that difficult to tell that he was joking...

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 pm

SBL wrote:
I think his point (such as there was one) was that it wasn't all that difficult to tell that he was joking...
Of course. Hence my question.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:09 pm

he contributes to the marketplace of ideas

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:16 pm

dood wrote:
he contributes to the marketplace of ideas
Marketplace of ideas may be the most absurd idea to have not been widely seen as absurd.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:34 pm

*browses Legal Employment forum for significant contributions*
*finds nothing*

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:26 pm

I don't think I've made a significant contribution either.

Attention 0Ls: Don't go to law school.

OK, now I have.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:03 pm

RVP11 wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Absent poor work product/performance, a firm isn't going to spend $30k+ on you for a summer only to no-offer you because you got a B in your law & unicorns seminar.
What about a C+ in Bankruptcy? This might be pertinent to my situation.

Only half joking.
Curious about this as well, although in the context of a 3L suffering offer rescission.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 pm

i think 3L with a post-summer offer is infinitely safer than 2L with only a summer offer.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:i think 3L with a post-summer offer is infinitely safer than 2L with only a summer offer.
In the sense that a 3L with a post-summer offer is infinitely safe?

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:34 am

...that was brilliant.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”